Things really do happen for a reason

7 replies to this topic
  • armourbl

Posted October 11, 2002 - 01:18 PM

Kind of lenthy, but a good read...

I was all set to close on my new house. The house was finally 100% complete, all we had to do was the walk through and sign the Title paperwork. 2 days before the Title appointment I get a call from the sales rep. She says I have some bad news. She tells me that my soon to be new home caught fire.

I was certain this was some kind of prank, but yet, it sounded like her and she wasn't joking. !@#$%

So, there I am, less than 2 weeks until I'm supposed to move out of my current home because the guy who bought our old home needs to move in. Unless you experience this kind of situation, you'll never understand the amount of stress it causes. Oh yeah, for those of you who don't know, I'm married with 2 small kids.

We had invested a lot of time, money, and more into getting this house built, with the options we wanted. It was like our worst nightmare come true.

So, now getting to the "Things happen for a reason" part.

We quickly evaluated our situaton and determined that if we were going to still move into a new home before the end of the month we'd have to act fast.

I got my realestate agent to begin searching for spec homes that were ready to move into immediately. I aided in the search and we were able to come up with some options to check out.

We set out to check out the homes from other builders we had on the list. The first one was a model home, nice, but too small. We moved on to the next with a feeling that the entire day would have similar returns. But the second house was kind of a surprise/shocker.

When we pulled up in front of the builder's office we had no idea which of the model homes around us was the one we had seen listed. Most of them looked way to expensive, so our hopes were still down. We reluctantly agreed to look at the model of the spec they had to offer. We walked through the front door of the house without even really paying attention to the outward appearance of the home.

BUT, once we got through the front door, me and my wife's jaws were on the floor. We were in complete awe, speechless. All we could do was smile from ear-to-ear and say wow! This house had everything we like about the home that had burned, but was better in every way imaginable.

We agreed to go look at the specs and were happy to find that the specs had virtually all the same upgrades that the model had.

To shorten the story some, we were able to cancel the contract on the home that burned, get a full refund of all out of pocket money we had contributed, complete the finance paperwork, complete the contract on the spec home, and lock in our interest rate at 6% all in the same day.

To put things in perspective, the new home makes the home that burned look like a dive.

In the end, it looked like it coudn't get any worse, but yet turned out for the very best. We should be able to move into the spec home before the end of month. The best part is, the new home, which is leaps and bounds better, will only cost us $35 more a month. Not bad considering it actually cost us about $12,000 more than the home that burned.

• diablo682

Posted October 11, 2002 - 01:48 PM

Thats excellent man. I just bought a house myself. Mine isnt quite as nice I dont think but we love it. Now is the best time to buy a home for anyone who has been thinking of it. Now is the time to do it! :)

• YAMAKAZE

Posted October 11, 2002 - 02:27 PM

Ben,

You had me going there for a minute......Man I thought you were going to tell me my Roost Zone Sticker burned with the house.......What a relief.....

Seriously, Great to hear things worked out....Let me know when your ready to get those certifications underway...

Bill

Hey diablo, Dude your signature photo looks like a walking advertisement for Club Photo....You need a picture?

Bonzai :)

• yamaha.dude

Posted October 11, 2002 - 05:31 PM

Congratulations... When's the house warming party...? :) :D

David

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR4FUN

Posted October 11, 2002 - 08:56 PM

Great to hear. Reminds me of the first house I moved into. I was planning to work on it the first week we were in, it was a fixer-upper. Well I was so excited to find that I had a trail out to the local power lines that I grabbed my helmit, jumped on my bike (was riding red thoses days) forgetting that I still had on sneakers. (Can you see what's coming?) yup you got it, came around a turn on the way back and WHACK! right into a stump (I swear it wasn't there on the way in :)). Needless to say I ended up with a broken big toe, and there went any thought of working on the house that week. Got FULL gear now!!! and won't ride w/o it. Besides my bones don't heal as fast anymore.

• armourbl

Posted October 14, 2002 - 04:00 AM

Yamakaze,

No, the Roost Zone Stickers didn't burn LOL, but I'm sure you can understand that my attention has been diverted as a result. I'll get those stickers out ASAP>

ben

• YAMAKAZE

Posted October 14, 2002 - 04:25 AM

Ben,

No Problem, Just a bit of fun....But seriously, I have loads of material for your MCSE when your ready...

Bill :)

• armourbl

Posted October 14, 2002 - 06:56 AM

Yamakaze,

I'm printing your Avatar and any time anyone even slightly implies that I'm a nerd because I'm a computer tech, I'm showing them your picture. I'm betting they will apologize and retreat very quickly..

:)

ben

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.