Annoying Oil Leak on 2008 YZ450f

So here's the deal, after my initial break in on the bike. I switched and went to a stainless (CompFlo) oil filter. Ever since, I've had this annoying little oil leak comming from my cap (I left the original on). The upper right O ring did break when I originally removed the cap. I've since replace it twice with 2 different sized O rings, but no dice.

Do I need to purchase the CompFlo cap as well? Or keep playing around with O rings till I get one that works?

So here's the deal, after my initial break in on the bike. I switched and went to a stainless (CompFlo) oil filter. Ever since, I've had this annoying little oil leak comming from my cap (I left the original on). The upper right O ring did break when I originally removed the cap. I've since replace it twice with 2 different sized O rings, but no dice.

Do I need to purchase the CompFlo cap as well? Or keep playing around with O rings till I get one that works?

I would order the correct O-ring from Yamaha.

Honestly, I would go back with the stock oil filter and change the oil every three rides. I've had a lot experience with over 25 years of racing. Stainless filters are good but you have to clean them. there are always particles that you will not be able to get out. Stock is great and if you change it often you can't go wrong. Also I would get a magnetic oil plug for capturing the metal shavings. I hop this helps. :banghead:

I'm pretty set on keeping the Stainless filter. There's enough debate as to which is better Stainless vs. Paper on TT. As for going with a Scotts, since both CompFlo and Scotts use the exact same mesh I'm not too worried.

I will be ordering a magnetic drain plug though, thanks for the idea.

Tomorrow I'll call CompFlo and see if the filter requires their cap. I didn't think so I didn't get it (waste of $$$).

1> Who says the CompFlo uses "the exact same mesh" as Scotts?

2> Do they use as much of it in the filter as Scotts does?

3> Does a Scotts leak when used with a stock filter cover?

4> Does CompFlo weld the seam on their elements?

5> Have you ever seen a Scotts fall apart? A CompFlo?

6> Is there a good reason why CompFlos are cheaper?

The CompFlo may be overly long. Check the sealing surface of the cover to see if the edge is pulled out of flat near the bolt holes.

As for the old dodge, "there's always stuff in the filter you can't get out", I say."So what?" If it got caught in a mesh filter, it isn't going anywhere. Mesh filters work on an absolute basis, and it's too big to go through today, it isn't going to get by next week either. The 35 micron filtering level of the Scotts means that a particle has to be smaller than .0013" to pass the filter. Those may be visible under certain conditions, but I doubt it. Furthermore, unlike "paper" elements, it means that ALL particles that size and larger WILL be removed from the oil ON THE FIRST PASS, and WILL NOT wiggle loose to re-enter the lubricant.

Answers to the above quiz:

1- CompFlo

2-No

3-No

4-No, unless they started recently

5-No, and Yes

6-Yes, there is

1> Who says the CompFlo uses "the exact same mesh" as Scotts?

2> Do they use as much of it in the filter as Scotts does?

3> Does a Scotts leak when used with a stock filter cover?

4> Does CompFlo weld the seam on their elements?

5> Have you ever seen a Scotts fall apart? A CompFlo?

6> Is there a good reason why CompFlos are cheaper?

The CompFlo may be overly long. Check the sealing surface of the cover to see if the edge is pulled out of flat near the bolt holes.

As for the old dodge, "there's always stuff in the filter you can't get out", I say."So what?" If it got caught in a mesh filter, it isn't going anywhere. Mesh filters work on an absolute basis, and it's too big to go through today, it isn't going to get by next week either. The 35 micron filtering level of the Scotts means that a particle has to be smaller than .0013" to pass the filter. Those may be visible under certain conditions, but I doubt it. Furthermore, unlike "paper" elements, it means that ALL particles that size and larger WILL be removed from the oil ON THE FIRST PASS, and WILL NOT wiggle loose to re-enter the lubricant.

Answers to the above quiz:

1- CompFlo

2-No

3-No

4-No, unless they started recently

5-No, and Yes

6-Yes, there is

lol!! And true.

I agree the Scotts is the best most expensive and SS is the best way to go once the bike is broken in right. After this very little particles to worry about until something catastrophic happens. I have a Scotts and a Compflo

You need to get the right oring first -

Also the filter should have the same dimensions to a stock....measure to make sure. Or verify the part number....

So I fixed the problem and it was so obvious that I had to laugh at myself. When my bike was put together they installed an O-Ring on the upper right bolt. Duh, it doesn't take one here. Quick look into the manual and problem solved, no more leak.

As for the Scotts vs. CompFlo debate. Lets be truthful with everyone.. Scotts is a sponsor of TT, CompFlo is not. I'll report back to you when my bike "Blows Up" from using my CompFlo, but I doubt it will be anytime soon.

I agree the Scotts is the best most expensive and SS is the best way to go once the bike is broken in right. After this very little particles to worry about until something catastrophic happens. I have a Scotts and a Compflo

You need to get the right oring first -

Also the filter should have the same dimensions to a stock....measure to make sure. Or verify the part number....

Hey GA, when you say you have to get the right oring first, what do you mean?

As for the Scotts vs. CompFlo debate. Lets be truthful with everyone.. Scotts is a sponsor of TT, CompFlo is not.
Be it clearly understood by everyone that my opinions are my own, and are in no way influenced by the sponsor status of the product. There are, in fact, two products that sponsor this site that I have been openly critical of. That won't change. My position here requires only that I be civil and honest, not that I kiss up.

As for the Scotts vs. CompFlo debate. Lets be truthful with everyone.. Scotts is a sponsor of TT, CompFlo is not. I'll report back to you when my bike "Blows Up" from using my CompFlo, but I doubt it will be anytime soon.

I don't think anybody is biased with products because of the companies sponsoring this site.

Everybody has their favorites and if you hang around here long enough, you'll see that we all suggest the products that work for us.

All in all, we all respect each others opinions on products. If you like the CompFlo's, then use them. But, when you ask a question about them, you open yourself up for other peoples opinions. :banghead:

Look at the owners manual, you obivously have one of the bolt o-rings in the wrong spot... simple fix.
Even more obvious if you read the whole thread first.
So I fixed the problem and it was so obvious that I had to laugh at myself. When my bike was put together they installed an O-Ring on the upper right bolt. Duh, it doesn't take one here. Quick look into the manual and problem solved, no more leak.

Hey GA, when you say you have to get the right oring first, what do you mean?

the right size is what I mean.....some are thicker and thinner than others as well as different sizes.

The stock orings are, crud I forgot the size.......:banghead:

Good thing he figured out what bolt holes gets the orings....