'07 Wont Start In Gear

12 replies to this topic
  • Seabass

Posted January 03, 2008 - 02:00 PM

I recently picked up a slightly used '07 WR450. My first time on the bike a few weeks ago I had a horrendous crash. Now that I'm healed up and a few broken parts fixed, I took the bike out for a secong ride. The bike will only start in neutral using the electric start. The bike has no "neutral safety switch" like my '05 has.

Can the '07 only be started in neutral while using the electric starter? I can't believe Yamaha would engineer it that way.

Anybody else had this problem with their bike? I looked for broken/ frayed wires but couldn't find anything.

• shon215

Posted January 03, 2008 - 02:45 PM

I have an '08, which i am told is the same exact bike as the 07. Mine starts in gear with the electric starter. I can't, however, offer any advice on fixing it. But we have successfully identified that you have a problem. good luck

• ThompsonV311

Posted January 03, 2008 - 02:55 PM

Check the button switch on the clutch perch. If it is not being pushed in when pulling in the clutch the starter will not turn over while in gear. You can bypass this switch by unplugging it and the starter will crank anytime clutch in or not.

• SXP

Posted January 03, 2008 - 03:49 PM

The bike has no "neutral safety switch" like my '05 has.

Can the '07 only be started in neutral while using the electric starter? I can't believe Yamaha would engineer it that way.

Anybody else had this problem with their bike? I looked for broken/ frayed wires but couldn't find anything.

The bike does have a neutral safety feature. It's the wire that goes from the perch to a connector behind the headlight. It was probably not replaced when your bike was fixed and that's why you can only start it in neutral and not in gear with the clutch pulled in. See below for more...

You can bypass this switch by unplugging it and the starter will crank anytime clutch in or not.

But only if in neutral. For the bike to start in gear (with the clutch pulled in, of course!) with the wire from the perch unplugged and then also unplugged from it's connector behind the headlight, you will have to short (or "jumper") the two pins in the connector behind the headlight. If you don't short the two pins the bike will only start in neutral. I use a female spade connector pushed into these two pins to achieve the short.

• CORider63

Posted January 03, 2008 - 04:01 PM

On the schematic, item #4 is the Clutch Switch and item #13 is the Neutral Switch.

Attached Files

• Seabass

Posted January 03, 2008 - 07:23 PM

My bike has no lead from the clutch lever, and the headlight has been removed. It's been set up for a Baja Designs HID light. Hmmmm..looks like a trip to the Yamaha dealer is in order to see how the stocker is set up.:banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted January 03, 2008 - 08:04 PM

My bike has no lead from the clutch lever, and the headlight has been removed. It's been set up for a Baja Designs HID light. Hmmmm..looks like a trip to the Yamaha dealer is in order to see how the stocker is set up.:banghead:

So, where do you live? Yap:excuseme: :busted:

• Seabass

Posted January 04, 2008 - 05:24 PM

So, where do you live? Yap:excuseme: :busted:

Trabuco Canyon, Cali!

Well...I went to the local Yamaha dealer and took a look at the new WR's. It looks like the previous owner removed the stock clutch perch and replaced it with one from a YZ. Not sure why he did this, but I got the bike from a factory Yamaha racer. Mebbe he was tryin' to save some weight??:banghead:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 05, 2008 - 01:01 PM

I had this same problem with I crashed and stretched that cable connected to the switch on the clutch lever.

I had to strip the wire and solder it back together.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 08, 2008 - 08:26 AM

My bike has been doing the same thing for a couple of years now. Works sometimes, I really need to get to it and fix the switch.....

• jtn 06 wr450

Posted January 10, 2008 - 01:02 PM

i just rigged (modded) mine last night. 06 model. i just cut the wires and twisted them across leaving the stock plug on. then the trusty shrink wrap and elec tape to seal it off from shorting.
in essence it is telling the cdi the switch is closed your clutch is in, fire up.

works like a charm.

it will now turn over in gear which can be handy i hear in tech rocky hung up situations.

• kevinwr450f

Posted January 10, 2008 - 02:27 PM

Check the button switch on the clutch perch. If it is not being pushed in when pulling in the clutch the starter will not turn over while in gear. You can bypass this switch by unplugging it and the starter will crank anytime clutch in or not.

Sorry for the dumb question but what button are you talking of? I have an 07 and my bike will do the same thing from time to time.

• jtn 06 wr450

Posted January 10, 2008 - 02:42 PM

kevin,
look at the wire coming from the left side of your light up to the clutch perch. you will see a plastic switch plugged into the housing. take out the clutch handle and you will see the button switch that gets pushed in everytime you pull the clutch. this is your culprit.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.