Electrical clutch perch switch/wire

8 replies to this topic
  • A Rider

Posted January 03, 2008 - 08:04 AM

I just put an ASV clutch perch on my 07 WR450 and there is a wire and switch that mounts on the stock perch. There is no place for this on the ASV. I am assuming it is a ignition change regarding easier starting when the clutch is pulled in. I have closed the switch permanently. Does anyone know about this switch and if closing it is the right thing to do? Bike runs and starts fine.

Thanks

• Vegemite_luva

Posted January 03, 2008 - 10:30 AM

I just put an ASV clutch perch on my 07 WR450 and there is a wire and switch that mounts on the stock perch. There is no place for this on the ASV. I am assuming it is a ignition change regarding easier starting when the clutch is pulled in. I have closed the switch permanently. Does anyone know about this switch and if closing it is the right thing to do? Bike runs and starts fine.

Thanks

Please reread your posting and make some grammatical corrections and further clarify your situation as I for one have no idea what you are talking about.

There are only two "switches" near the clutch perch. The kill switch and the headlight on/off switch but they are not part of the actual clutch perch they sit to the left and right of the clutch perch and these are electrical switches. The clutch perch itself has the hot start decompression lever on top but this is not an electrical switch it is a mechanical lever with a cable attached to it.

ASV has two different types of clutch perches, one with the decompression hot start thumb lever on the underside and one without a decomp lever. You should have bought the one with the thumb lever.

• PBDBLUE

Posted January 03, 2008 - 11:13 AM

The switch is the starter interlock so the bike will start with the clutch pulled in in any gear. If you jumper it the bike will try to start no matter what gear or clutch position. No big deal but something to be aware of. I have one of my bikes set up this way and it works fine.

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 03, 2008 - 12:56 PM

PBDBLUE is 100% correct, but head this warning - I have seen a WR with this switch jumpered out, lurch off of a pecarious section of single track because the rider leaned over resting his fore arm on the bars when the bike was shut off... it took along time to get that bike up on the trail.

The bike did not start but it turned the motor over while in gear and it was enuf to send everyone off balance while we watched the bike fall of the side of the hill :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • A Rider

Posted January 03, 2008 - 02:25 PM

Thanks guys, that answers my question.

• ThompsonV311

Posted January 03, 2008 - 02:59 PM

No need to jumper this switch at all. Just unplug it to bypass the interlock.

• SXP

Posted January 03, 2008 - 03:39 PM

No need to jumper this switch at all. Just unplug it to bypass the interlock.

Only problem then is you have to be in neutral to start the bike. Not very convenient if you have to fire the bike up in a hurry.

• WR_Dave

Posted January 03, 2008 - 04:22 PM

OK, too many varied opinions on this thread. My bike has the wires removed from the neutral start switch by cutting them off flush with the switch body since new. I have to pull the clutch lever to start in any gear including neutral. I just went out and unplugged the clutch switch and the bike won;t attempt to start in any gear. with a jumper wire it will start any time I touch the start button , in gear or not ( kinda dangerous I think-especially if you ride with a practical joker or two). My bike is an '07. I know the question was answered for Arider a few posts ago , but I wanted to make sure we are all on the same page here. If the neutral switch is still on the bike you will need to be in neutral to start if the clutch switch is unplugged. If the neutral switch is unplugged(or missing) you will need to pull the clutch to start in any gear. If the wiring to both is open or unplugged then you will have to kick start the bike. Hopefully this helps. :banghead: WR Dave

• ThompsonV311

Posted January 03, 2008 - 06:36 PM

Only problem then is you have to be in neutral to start the bike. Not very convenient if you have to fire the bike up in a hurry.

My bad, you're right. I just went out and tried mine disconnected ant it does have to be jumped.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.