Longer Clutch Arm

12 replies to this topic
  • The_Missile

Posted October 11, 2002 - 06:09 AM

I was at a race the other day and some guy had installed a longer arm on the doodad/arm that the clutch pulls on, getting a lighter pull. He couldnt tell me where to get one, so anybody even know what I'm talking about, have a part number?

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted October 11, 2002 - 06:38 AM

Missle, I did this mod and it works great. Add no more than 6 mm in length or you may not have much adjustement left with the cable. Take the arm to a reputable machine shop and have them add a piece of flat bar then weld after having spliced the original arm. Post again if you need more info.

• StreetMoto

Posted October 11, 2002 - 07:55 AM

Hugh_LePage:

Can you post a pic of your arm?

• Wyatt

Posted October 11, 2002 - 09:37 AM

I did the mod also. I lengthened it 5mm. It is simple to do. The actuator arm is easily removed. Just look in your manual for the proper procedure to remove it.

After the arm is lengthened, remember to paint it before you install it to keep it from rusting. After it is welded upon and the new metal is added, it will rust.

I don't have a good picture of my arm, but if no one else has one, I may be able to post one in a couple of days.

Or, someone could just scan and post the picture of a lengthened arm that was in the issue of MXA. That it where I learned of the mod.

• Chaindrive

Posted October 11, 2002 - 10:36 AM

THANK YOU FOR MAKING SENSE!! I really mean that! You have no idea how long and fruitlessly I argued with a guy I know just last Saturday night over this very mod!

ONLY: He showed me his SHORTENED linkage arm on his YZ426F AND tried to convince me it made his clutch EASIER to pull. After lecturing him about leverage and moment-arm principles of physics (you can't win here if the other guy never had or flunked physics), I took the Psychological Approach:"Maybe it just FEELS easier because you don't have to pull the clutch (hand) lever as far and are therefore getting the over-center let-off effect sooner."

Even a demonstration of how I could lift his big a$$ easier with a longer lever (beer can included) did not convince him :D :D :mad:Besides, as big as he is (6'4" 260lbs) WHAT DIFFERENCE COULD IT REALLY MAKE!!!??? :)

BTW, he shortened his himself.

• Wyatt

Posted October 11, 2002 - 12:15 PM

Shortening is NOT the way to go.

But....if the guy was that big, i wouldn't have argued much with him. HA!

Mine really improved my clutch pull.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thebray

Posted October 11, 2002 - 12:35 PM

MSR makes a clutch lever called the RAPTOR with 3 positions for the cable nipple that change the leverage.I don't remember what it costs though.

• Wyatt

Posted October 12, 2002 - 09:25 AM

Streetmoto,

Here is a picture of my extended clutch arm.

Posted Image

• Thumpy420

Posted October 12, 2002 - 12:35 PM

TAKE A LOOK AT MSR'S RAPTOR LEVER/PERCH. IT HAS THE ABILITY TO MOUNT THE CABLE BARREL ON A DIFFERENT SPOT ON THE LEVER, INCREASING LEVERAGE MAKING CLUTCH PULL A LOT EASIER. MSR SAYS IT MAKES CLUTCH PULL 325% LESS EASIER. DOWNSIDE IS THAT YOU HAVE TO PULL THE LEVER IN FARTHER. THEIR PART# IS
341812 FOR THE STANDARD AND 341806 FOR THE SHORTY! HOPE I HELPED SOME!!!!!!!!!!

• Thumpy420

Posted October 12, 2002 - 12:37 PM

RETAIL FOR THE RAPTOR IS $36.95
REPLACEMENT LEVERS GO FOR $21.95

• sabin

Posted October 13, 2002 - 01:00 AM

Hasn't anybody tried a Magura hydraulic clutch system?

• The_Missile

Posted October 14, 2002 - 06:03 AM

Yes, I have one, but the &*%"ç*ing thing keeps leaking at the slave syclinder end. I had it serviced a year ago but it has been leaking none the less ever since I have had it. I will give it one more chance by ordering a new seal and actuating arm, after that it gets thrown in the incinerator if it doesnt work. :)

• BigDesto

Posted October 14, 2002 - 07:19 AM

I modified my own lever by drilling another hole in front of the existing one and reming out were the cable goes!! works great and cost nothing! I used to run the easy clutch, same principal as the raptor. Side by side comparison to my buddies WR is way easier!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.