New Scott's Damper on my 650L

20 replies to this topic
  • jonr3

Posted January 02, 2008 - 08:36 AM

Just got the little notice saying I haven't posted in awhile, so here is my latest mod: I finally put the Scott's Damper (bolt-on kit) on my 2000 650L.

It was extremely easy to install. The hardest part was moving the stock speedo cluster forward about 1/4 inch to make room for the damper. It wasn't very hard either - it was just a PITA to try to get to the two bolts underneath.

I haven't had a chance to REALLY try it out, but scooting through my woods - hitting small tree stumps, roots, rocks, etc. - it seemed to be a little more stable with less handlebar jerk.

I also bought a CRF rear fender that I am going to install as soon as I buy a BD rear brake light.

• Denn10

Posted January 02, 2008 - 08:57 AM

TRUST ME once you hit one of those big kickers your will see how much a steering dampner really helps!! Ive raced some GPs with my YZ250 with GPR and been talking to myself out loud saying "THANK YOU GPR" after i just hit a big hole in the course at about 50 mph LOL

• martinfan30

Posted January 02, 2008 - 01:10 PM

always wondered if they are worth it. sounds like!

• jonr3

Posted January 02, 2008 - 01:37 PM

always wondered if they are worth it. sounds like!

I did a lot of research before I decided to shell out the bucks, and everyone said that they can really save your a$$. :banghead:

I guess I'll find out this spring when the ORV park reopens...:busted:

• martinfan30

Posted January 02, 2008 - 02:08 PM

cool.

orv park? we have one here...

the state of NEVADA!!!:banghead:

• jetfuel

Posted January 02, 2008 - 05:04 PM

cool.

orv park? we have one here...

the state of NEVADA!!!:busted:

Everywheres a park when you have a plate....:banghead:

• Old Dog

Posted January 02, 2008 - 05:21 PM

Just got the little notice saying I haven't posted in awhile, so here is my latest mod: I finally put the Scott's Damper (bolt-on kit) on my 2000 650L.

It was extremely easy to install. The hardest part was moving the stock speedo cluster forward about 1/4 inch to make room for the damper. It wasn't very hard either - it was just a PITA to try to get to the two bolts underneath.

I haven't had a chance to REALLY try it out, but scooting through my woods - hitting small tree stumps, roots, rocks, etc. - it seemed to be a little more stable with less handlebar jerk.

I also bought a CRF rear fender that I am going to install as soon as I buy a BD rear brake light.

I've got a new Scott's Damper (Bolt-On kit) sitting in my parts room waiting for warmer weather to install it on my L. I've got a couple of questions for you, that I've been wondering about. What did you use for spacers to move the gauges out? Washers? Or did you fab some kind of spacer? Question #2, How did it affect access to your ignition switch?

Thanks! :busted: :banghead:

• haggeo

Posted January 02, 2008 - 05:47 PM

I've got a new Scott's Damper (Bolt-On kit) sitting in my parts room waiting for warmer weather to install it on my L. I've got a couple of questions for you, that I've been wondering about. What did you use for spacers to move the gauges out? Washers? Or did you fab some kind of spacer? Question #2, How did it affect access to your ignition switch?

as far as question number 2, we don't have ignition switches on XRR's sold here.

• Old Dog

Posted January 02, 2008 - 05:57 PM

as far as question number 2, we don't have ignition switches on XRR's sold here.

Yes, but you do have them on 650L's don't you? The person who started this thread called it "New Scott's Damper on my 650L", so I assumed he's talking about installing a damper on his L? Or am I missing something here??:banghead:

• haggeo

Posted January 02, 2008 - 10:25 PM

Yes, but you do have them on 650L's don't you? The person who started this thread called it "New Scott's Damper on my 650L", so I assumed he's talking about installing a damper on his L? Or am I missing something here??:banghead:

oops! you're right:banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jonr3

Posted January 03, 2008 - 04:47 AM

I just used 4 washers for each bolt, moving the gauges about 1/4 inch. It actually gives more access to the ignition switch which helps when I have my thick gloves on. Total install time was about 3 beers (= about 1 hour):D :D :D

• Whiteman

Posted January 03, 2008 - 11:12 AM

jonr3, do you have pictures? I have been thinking about this for a year now but never researched it.

• jonr3

Posted January 03, 2008 - 12:32 PM

jonr3, do you have pictures? I have been thinking about this for a year now but never researched it.

I'll try to get some tonight and post tomorrow :banghead:

• Maroast

Posted January 03, 2008 - 01:14 PM

... am I missing something here??:banghead:

Your missing something BIG TIME! :busted:

• jonr3

Posted January 04, 2008 - 04:57 AM

Here they are:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted January 04, 2008 - 09:35 AM

easy to get the key in the switch?

• jonr3

Posted January 04, 2008 - 10:24 AM

easy to get the key in the switch?

martinfan30 - Yeah, it actually gives me a little more room. I've got about 5 keys on my ring and they were always getting jammed against the speedo cluster. Now that it's been moved forward, it seems to work easier. And the damper really isn't in the way - although the angle of the photos makes it look like it is...

• Old Dog

Posted January 04, 2008 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for posting the pics jonr3! :banghead:

Are those stock handlebars? Did you have to take the top triple clamp off to install the stabilizer clamp? I've heard some say they had to.

Thanks again for sharing your experience installing this mod! 1+ :busted:

• jonr3

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for posting the pics jonr3! :banghead:

Are those stock handlebars? Did you have to take the top triple clamp off to install the stabilizer clamp? I've heard some say they had to.

Thanks again for sharing your experience installing this mod! 1+ :busted:

The handlebars are Scott's custom Renthal CR high bends. Yeah, I had to remove the top triple clamp to install the bolt-on rod and trim the seal. It was very easy and fast though. I've also heard that you need to shave down the oil dipstick handle but mine fit fine... barely. All in all, it was a very easy installation and not nearly as difficult as the instructions sounded.

• CTXr650L

Posted January 06, 2008 - 04:58 AM

when i installed my scotts on my 06 650L i pulled the damper arm off and spun it 180 degrees. this way the unit ends up behind the crossbar and leaves easier access to the controlls on it.

oh yeah, scotts has a big knob that goes on for adjustment, i highly recomend it. makes on the fly adjustment alot easier even with bulky gloves on :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.