Internal filter screen

2 replies to this topic
  • 5150abf

Posted January 02, 2008 - 05:47 AM

I have a 99 XR650L with 11,000 miles on it.
I did a post search and from what I have read it isn't super important to crack the cases and clean this filter.
I do the down tube one and the oil filter of coarse but should I do this one too.
I have the time but I really would rather not split cases if I don't have to.
I ride 90% street and half of that is 60-70 MPH so I really don't want to run out of oil going that fast.
Just looking for reassurance I geuss, like I said the other posts on this topic said don't sweat it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted January 02, 2008 - 07:25 AM

you only have to remove the clutch cover. pretty simple job. if you get some free time, do it. not super urgent, but not a bad idea.

• Denn10

Posted January 02, 2008 - 09:01 AM

my 03 has about same miles as yours and i havent done it as when i first got my BRP i asked the same. Alot depends on how the owner has serviced it, one who chages filter and cleans down tube screen more frequently than one who only does an oil change every 5k miles will prolly have a cleaner lower screen. Ill do mine soon just on the incase

Related Content

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.