08 650l

55 replies to this topic
  • Davesnhere

Posted January 08, 2008 - 02:50 PM

07 650L, came with owners manual, no tools. (I had a set leftover from my 92 XR600 that I threw in the bag).

• Old Dog

Posted January 08, 2008 - 03:23 PM

I am curouis about a statement made earlier about lowering the forks an inch does this alleviate the nose dive tuck and fall feel in tight turns off road.....

I've heard that too, although I'd think it might mess up other aspects of handling and steering.

The reason I lowered my front fork tubes and inch was to keep the same basic steering geometry as stock after putting on a Kouba Link lowering link on the rear suspension. :busted: :banghead:

• deck99

Posted January 08, 2008 - 07:28 PM

711mxer,
Can I ask how much you had to give for the '08? And where you bought it?

I found one for $5375 in Souix City.

I live in NE Nebraska and we have many back roads to ride. I raced motocross around NE for about 10 years. Of course that was 20 years ago!

Deck

• sharktaco

Posted January 08, 2008 - 08:03 PM

07 650L, came with owners manual, no tools. (I had a set leftover from my 92 XR600 that I threw in the bag).

There is one sentence in the manual of the 07 that I bought that refers to a included tool kit. I called American Honda and told them the page number in the manual and said I didn’t get one. Technically, the 07's don’t come with one but I guess they forgot to change the manual page that mentions it. Anyway, they sent me one. Nothing special but decent.

• 711mxer

Posted January 08, 2008 - 09:52 PM

deck99
Bought mine in McCook Ne it was 5900 so if you can get yours for 5300 I would be jumping on that! It's worth it to me my son and I are planning on doing alot of riding in the mountains this summer! We are just 3 hours from Denver!

• Leget

Posted January 09, 2008 - 03:52 AM

deck99
Bought mine in McCook Ne it was 5900 so if you can get yours for 5300 I would be jumping on that! It's worth it to me my son and I are planning on doing alot of riding in the mountains this summer! We are just 3 hours from Denver!

Does your son have a street legal bike too?
My son is only 12, I can't wait until he's old enough to get his license.

So......what do you think of that 650L?
I'm really happy with mine (tools or no tools).

• Trail Rider 7

Posted January 09, 2008 - 03:58 AM

ya, every year except 07 and 08!

Now you guys make me feel bad. I told my sales guy that the tool kit was missing from the 07 bike several weeks later and they ordered one for free.

• deck99

Posted January 09, 2008 - 10:17 AM

Don't feel bad...take it and run!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 711mxer

Posted January 09, 2008 - 11:15 AM

Leget
Yea I got him a street legal bike that needed fixing up! I wanted to do it that way so he would learn how to work on them! I Let him do it all and just helped him when he asked for it! Bike runs great now, he's been helping his friends on thier bikes! Don't rush him growing up my boy graduates next year I'm already missing him he's pretty much my best friend! But it was nice when he got his license then I didn't have to sneak him out of town the back way anymore! My 08 is still at the dealer sitting in the crate still snow on the ground here so not in a big rush yet but starting to get the itch

• martinfan30

Posted January 09, 2008 - 02:00 PM

Now you guys make me feel bad. I told my sales guy that the tool kit was missing from the 07 bike several weeks later and they ordered one for free.

Dont even feel bad! What is a bike W/O a tool kit? The Billions of dollars Honda pulls in, and they cant even supply a 10 dollar tool kit with a new ride????

• 711mxer

Posted January 09, 2008 - 08:52 PM

Ok so shaving the seat helps lower the seat hight! Can anybody tell me how to do it or how they have done it

• Leget

Posted January 11, 2008 - 03:54 AM

Ok so shaving the seat helps lower the seat hight! Can anybody tell me how to do it or how they have done it

I haven't shaved a seat before, but from what I understand you remove the seat cover and reshape the foam until you get the shape/height you want, then replace the cover.

You might even be able to shave a section near the front and leave a little "speed hump" toward the rear like they do on the MX bikes.

• hubb255

Posted January 11, 2008 - 10:37 AM

Before you do anything I would wait until your suspension breaks in a little. I am also 5'7 with 28 inch pant length. I had trouble at first. It seems alot better now. It made me a better rider knowing I cant stop here! Ha Ha! Finding a stump to stand on to get back on was sometimes a problem. I did get good at the old moving mount trick.

• DBM

Posted January 11, 2008 - 06:11 PM

The 650L is a great bike that needs to be unleashed. In stock form it suffers from lean EPA jetting and smog poo that needs to be removed/adjusted.

With simple carb/air box mods and a 14 tooth front sprocket you will smile.

If you are height challenged then slide the forks up in the clamps and loosen the spring preload on the shock.

DBM

• 711mxer

Posted January 12, 2008 - 08:32 AM

DBM
Alright you got me interested! What do you do with the carb and airbox? Not sure what the stock sprocket is so would the 14 tooth increase the bottom end? Just wondering if pushing the forks up in the triple clamp would cause it to be off balance? I do appreciate your input!

• Irwin

Posted January 22, 2008 - 05:13 AM

2008 Honda XR650L comes with a tool kit

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.