08 650l

55 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted January 04, 2008 - 12:16 PM

the bag the tools come in! did you get an owners man.?

• martinfan30

Posted January 04, 2008 - 12:17 PM

Yea I figured the tool kit would't be nothing special! I planned on putting my own together it's just that I payed for it so I want it! Ok one more question does anybody have an idea what they get for gas mileage! Thanks again guys!

i get 40-45 at 70 mph. 15/48 gears, fcr 41, hotcam.

• Bibleman

Posted January 04, 2008 - 06:23 PM

No tools on my 07 either. I generally don't care for the potmetal tools that come with the Japanese bikes anyway, but I would have liked to have the plug wrench. I had to go buy a deep thinwall socket - none of my other plug wrenches or sockets fit:rant:

• radbrad48

Posted January 04, 2008 - 06:31 PM

My 07 didn't come with a tool kit either. I know what you mean about the plug wrench. I went to Sears and got an 18mm thin wall, deep socket. They actually make a spark plug socket that size. Mine did come with an owners manual though. Mighty nice of them. I can get between 50 and 60 miles before I go on reserve.

• Old Dog

Posted January 04, 2008 - 06:39 PM

No tools on my 07 either. I generally don't care for the potmetal tools that come with the Japanese bikes anyway, but I would have liked to have the plug wrench. I had to go buy a deep thinwall socket - none of my other plug wrenches or sockets fit:rant:

I tell ya what Bibbleman, even with the plug wrench that came in the stock tool kit, I had to do the same thing. You'd have to be friggin' Houdini to use the piece of :banghead: stock plug wrench to get your plug out without 10 skinned knuckles, and copious amounts of blood sacrificed to the Motorcycle Repair Gods.

It's the principal behind not getting the stock tool kit that burns my azz, not the lack of the tools themselves, because let's face it, they're :busted: IMHO, what some of the Dealers/Stealers are doing is removing the stock tool kits from some new bikes, then making people pay $53 + to buy them. In my book, that's downright despicable. :ride:

• martinfan30

Posted January 04, 2008 - 08:20 PM

i agree olddog.

much easier to get the plug out when the elephant ears are removed!

Posted Image

• Cobalt650

Posted January 05, 2008 - 11:28 AM

No tool kit with my '07. Fargin' bastages:)

• Leget

Posted January 05, 2008 - 11:58 AM

the bag the tools come in! did you get an owners man.?

Yes I did get the owners manual....the salesman left a message on our answering machine today saying that he still hasn't got an answer from the Honda rep yet.

I'll let you know what he says as soon as I hear back.:banghead:

I agree 100%, it's not the tools..it's the principle.

• ant_mb

Posted January 05, 2008 - 04:23 PM

No tool kit with my '07. Fargin' bastages

Nope, I bought a new 07 in November, and a tool kit wasn't included. I had the parts guy look it up, and it seems it only came with a couple model years. I ordered one and it would up being $50 for the cheap ass tools.

• deck99

Posted January 05, 2008 - 08:52 PM

Hey 711mxer,
The XR line have always been great bikes. I also live in Nebraska and am considering buying a new 650L. I raced motocross for many years then got married (21 years ago) and haven't had a bike for a long time. I am really struggling as to whether I should buy a cruiser or an enduro. I plan to do a lot of street riding but I really love the feel of a dirt bike. I feel a lot more comfortable on them.

Have fun with your new bike.

deck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old Dog

Posted January 05, 2008 - 10:11 PM

Hey 711mxer,
The XR line have always been great bikes. I also live in Nebraska and am considering buying a new 650L. I raced motocross for many years then got married (21 years ago) and haven't had a bike for a long time. I am really struggling as to whether I should buy a cruiser or an enduro. I plan to do a lot of street riding but I really love the feel of a dirt bike. I feel a lot more comfortable on them.

Have fun with your new bike.

deck

If that's the case, buy yourself an L, you can always 'Tard it if it doesn't feel as good as you'd like on the street. :banghead:

• auron

Posted January 06, 2008 - 01:42 PM

The link will alter your suspension and not for the better. Try shaving down your stock seat in the shape of a Corbin. You'll gain width, and lowering the biggest factor in the bike's handling (you) will make the biggest difference of all. If that still doens't do it for you another inch off the link will be enough.

• Irwin

Posted January 07, 2008 - 05:23 AM

Xr's Only has a link that comes with all new bears and has grease zerks at both bearings. I installed mine at basically 100 miles and so far have been very happy. Lowered the forks an inch and bike is still super stable except when going backwards on the ice. Bike really handles badly going backwards. Down we go. Picking the bike up and accidently hitting the horn is quite embarrassing.

• auron

Posted January 07, 2008 - 07:24 AM

Picking the bike up and accidently hitting the horn is quite embarrassing.

yea, like hey look at me I'm a bleeping idiot! Done it hopefully only once

• martinfan30

Posted January 07, 2008 - 08:19 AM

No tool kit with my '07. Fargin' bastages

Nope, I bought a new 07 in November, and a tool kit wasn't included. I had the parts guy look it up, and it seems it only came with a couple model years. I ordered one and it would up being $50 for the cheap ass tools.

ya, every year except 07 and 08!

• martinfan30

Posted January 07, 2008 - 08:21 AM

:banghead:

yea, like hey look at me I'm a bleeping idiot! Done it hopefully only once

especially with the manly horn it comes with!:busted: :ride:

• 711mxer

Posted January 07, 2008 - 07:44 PM

Hi deck99
I was going to go with a cruiser also but out here in southwest Ne theres alot of back roads to take and the 650L can cruise on highway and dirt! As for racing I don't but my son does he started at 4 now he's 16 been alot of fun but had his share of broken bones so we're doing more trail riding till he gets out of high school sports!

• Irwin

Posted January 07, 2008 - 07:53 PM

Mine came with the set of tools, bare necessities.

• martinfan30

Posted January 07, 2008 - 08:59 PM

Mine came with the set of tools, bare necessities.

year? Must be 06 or earlier.

• Motosprtman

Posted January 08, 2008 - 11:33 AM

I am curouis about a statement made earlier about lowering the forks an inch does this alleviate the nose dive tuck and fall feel in tight turns off road.....

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.