08 650l

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get a lowering link which will drop the seat about 1 inch then you can drop the forks 1 inch also .. do a search for "Kouba link" or devol link in this forum and I'm sure you'll find lots of info... congrats on the new bike and welcome to TT..

x2 buddy!:banghead:

Devol makes a good link, but you need to buy an extra set of bearings or press your old ones out to put in the new link. My friend bought a Kouba link and I think he said it came with bearings. You can get about 1.5 inches lower in the rear and then drop the forks accordingly. They both are good.

Just bought an 08 650L I stand 5'7 the bike stands 37 inches anybody got any ideas to lower alittle? Would changing rims and tires do it? Any help would be appreciated!

Hi 711mxer, I'm about the same height as you are. I'm kinda "husky" for 5'7 though, as I weigh in at around 235lbs (I used to be a weight lifter, now I'm just fat). :D

When I first got my '06 650L I had a helluva time touching the ground on it (I had to jump up on it and then lean it over to one side when stopped at lights). I think weighing what I do also helps squash down the rear spring too. :D One of the first mods I did was install a Kouba Link and push the fork tubes up about an inch in the triple clamps (the Kouba Link install instructions actually suggest doing this to keep a good steering symmetry). I also replaced the stock seat with a Corbin, which lowered it even more. After I did this I could touch the ground on the balls of both feet when stopped. I then replaced the stock tires with knobbies (TeraFlex in the rear) and found myself back up on my tippy toes. :busted:

If you're an experienced rider (I've been riding bikes for 35 years), know how to handle yourself, and a bike, and don't try to ride above your capabilities and limitations you'll do ok with your L. I've laid mine down a couple of times, but nothing so bad that I couldn't pick it back up and keep on riding. :banghead::D

Thanks for your help I didn't know to much about it, just walked in and bought it wanted the bigger bike so my wife could ride with me that might be a trick! Is the 650l a good bike? My son races a crf250 and it's awsome!

Is the XRL a good bike, no, it's a GREAT bike! You'll find all kind of criticisms about this that or the other thing, but all I can say is this is my 19th bike and the fun factor is huge. Some will mock the "old" technology, but I will say that it's still around virtually unchanged for 15 years because it's proven technology and engineering. That's my story and I'm sticking to it:prof: :banghead: On the other hand, your son will thoroughly thrash you in the dirt on his CRF250 but you won't mind too much when your done having off road fun and tip-toe onto the street for more adventures!

Is the XRL a good bike, no, it's a GREAT bike! You'll find all kind of criticisms about this that or the other thing, but all I can say is this is my 19th bike and the fun factor is huge. Some will mock the "old" technology, but I will say that it's still around virtually unchanged for 15 years because it's proven technology and engineering. That's my story and I'm sticking to it:prof: :D On the other hand, your son will thoroughly thrash you in the dirt on his CRF250 but you won't mind too much when your done having off road fun and tip-toe onto the street for more adventures!

And another plus of that "Old" technology will be the infrequent rebuilds to the "L" compared to the CRF .. :banghead:

good thought BMAN. also it has been sold forever! outlasting one of its brothers!:busted:

yes, "R".i.p. :D

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to TT.

I just brought home a "leftover" '07 XRL.

I've got what might seem as a stupid question.....

Did your '08 come with a tool kit? My '07 did not.

I didn't discover the tool kit was missing until i got it home, I called the salesman I bought it from and he said he wasn't sure if that bike was supposed to come with one.

He is going to check into it and call me back.....

To be honest I don't have the bike yet! The dealer is going to deliver it as it is still in crate there's still 5 inches of snow on the ground here so no hurry! BUT in the spec sheet it says it comes with a tool kit and believe me I will be checking when they bring it! Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to TT.

I just brought home a "leftover" '07 XRL.

I've got what might seem as a stupid question.....

Did your '08 come with a tool kit? My '07 did not.

I didn't discover the tool kit was missing until i got it home, I called the salesman I bought it from and he said he wasn't sure if that bike was supposed to come with one.

He is going to check into it and call me back.....

my 05 XRL 650 came with one. my bud's 07 didnt have anything, not even the little blue bag! heard of this alot from 06 and up XRL 650 bikes.

My '06 came with a Tool Kit Bag (with actual tools inside it). They weren't anything to write home about mind you, but it did have the bare essentials. If you bought a new "out of the crate" bike from the Dealer, I'd demand a set of tools with it, if they don't comply I'd contact Honda International .... for the 5K+ you paid for it, the least they could do is supply you with a 10$ stock Tool Kit. :banghead:

Yea I figured the tool kit would't be nothing special! I planned on putting my own together it's just that I payed for it so I want it! Ok one more question does anybody have an idea what they get for gas mileage! Thanks again guys!

my 05 XRL 650 came with one. my bud's 07 didnt have anything, not even the little blue bag! heard of this alot from 06 and up XRL 650 bikes.

Great....now I'm missing a little blue bag too! :busted:

What little blue bag? What else am I missing?

First, they quit giving helmets with new bikes....then tools kits....whats next?:banghead:

At the dealership they looked up the cost of the tool kit and the list price is $53.

I'm not really upset about the missing tool's, I'll put together my own kit. But...if it was supposed to come with the bike then I feel it should be with it.