WOO HOOO just got my XR650L!!!

5 replies to this topic
  • eyeofth3b3hold3r

Posted January 01, 2008 - 08:27 PM

hey everyone, i just bought my xr650l after getting tired of jumping through hoops with putting my xr400 on the road. I have a few questions about what I should look for though on the bike. I should have asked these before i bought it but I got a good deal and the bike seems to run really good so I bought it. BUT the bike has 14,000 miles on it, the owner had it rebuilt about 2000 miles ago. it starts good has lots of power, doesn't really smoke at all, none that I can notice. But is this a lot of miles for a bike like this? the suspension seems still really stiff. I just don't want to have a broken down bike with something I could have avoided!

• jetfuel

Posted January 01, 2008 - 08:53 PM

Congrats on the new toy... as long as the the engine was rebuilt and broken in correctly the engine will last a long time.. the rest to look for will be normal wear and tear items like wheel, steering stem, linkage, and swingarm bearings to be checked for excessive play. it all depends on whether it was flogged through the woods or used as a highway commuter. Was the previous owner heavier than you? ..he may have set up the suspenion for his weight. You'll find a wealth of knowledge using the search function and welcome to TT...

• Denn10

Posted January 02, 2008 - 09:15 AM

CONGRATS for the suspension i would check your sag and try to set it correctly for you and that will tell you about if the spring is right, they might have just tightened it up some to make it stiffer but you really REALLY need to set sag on a bike, HOPEFULLY that spring will be good for you. How much did he weigh and how much do you?

Dont worry bout the engine, specially since it had a rebuild. I would start with a fresh oil/filter change, air filter cleaning, and lube it all up and go ride and enjoy it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted January 02, 2008 - 01:03 PM

all good advise.

+1

• radbrad48

Posted January 02, 2008 - 05:07 PM

Talking about sag, anybody know what the sag sould be set at for a 650L. I asked 4 different people at the Honda shop, and got 4 different answers. I need to reset it after I put my lowering link on.

• Nailpounder

Posted January 03, 2008 - 10:19 AM

To make that motor run a long time I would suggest getting more oil to the head, cam an rockers by stiffening the oil pressure spring by 20% an running a new oil feed tube to the head.
look under the oil thread where I posted some info on this.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=588709

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.