Plastic radiator fins/guards - do they help cooling or not ?

3 replies to this topic
  • DeeCee

Posted December 31, 2007 - 09:40 PM

Does anyone have information that shows the plastic radiator fins/guards assist with cooling ?

I ride in a hot desert environment so need all the cooling I can get. Seems the fins/guards may restrict airflow rather than assist.

Any comments or reference to previous threads most appreciated

• 426 NOOB

Posted December 31, 2007 - 10:22 PM

The plastic fins that sit in front of the rads. is designed to draw air into the radiators. I dont know if you would see much of a difference without them. Before Id remove them Id try running engine ice coolant. I ride single track in 105 degree weather and still dont overheat. Plus by removing the plastic pieces, it will be easier for debris to puncture your rads. Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TommyBoyee

Posted January 17, 2008 - 03:00 PM

I thought they were to keep mud from caking the rad. No?

• grayracer513

Posted January 17, 2008 - 07:29 PM

I thought they were to keep mud from caking the rad. No?

Yes. Their intended to protect the radiators from damage from stones and from mud clogging them, while allowing air to get through.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.