Dad needs to know difference between cr80 and cr85

4 replies to this topic
  • turbotexas

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:32 PM

I am looking to get my Son a cr85/80 and am trying to avoid getting something he can't race in the super mini class. He has a 96 cr125, but is 13 years old. So He fit's on the 125 but (he's huge) his friends are still in the super mini class, and he wants to race them... I found a cr80 big wheel I am thinking of getting him. I have read the rules on the tire size. but am curious what is the difference is in the two bikes??? besides the 5cc displacement...
Thank you!!!
David

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MattFisher

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:16 PM

The 85cc bikes are just newer bikes that take advantage of a loophole in the rules, just like the 65cc bikes took advantage of the same loophole in the 60cc rules. Originally designed to allow overbore's on 80cc bikes back when every new piston meant you needed to bore it out slightly. Today's bikes have some type of chrome liner instead of a iron sleeve, and are not bored out during a standard rebuild.

The 85cc bikes will be better simply because they're newer, and most get some kind of upgrade every year or so.

• turbotexas

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:05 AM

Thank you Matt!!
What is a big wheel kit? The guy selling is claiming he has that on the bike...

• jd3020

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:20 AM

Big wheel kit consists of 19" front and 16" rear as opposed to 17" front and 14" rear.

• MattFisher

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:31 AM

In addition to the wheel sizes, some bikes will have longer swingarms, and/or longer forks. If he's a big kid, the larger stuff will probably be better.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Value of a clean 1986 cr250 by ulmanb

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • Hot  46 replies
Forums
Photo

Another pwk thread, 05 cr125, YZ pwk by zotis777

• Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

How long would a 2004 cr125 last? by Michaelthebeast

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Spring Rebuild Pictorial by Fattonz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

Advice and Tips for my 04 Honda CR250R by DC75

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.