just got a YZ426 - parts questions

1 reply to this topic
  • BASSic

Posted December 31, 2007 - 06:24 PM

I just picked up a 01 YZ426F from a fellow TT member and all I can say is HOLY S$&@!!! I love this bike, it's a big improvement over the KX250 I've been riding.

I read all the FAQs and just about every post related to the 426, but I have a few more questions:

After struggling to start it in 30 degree weather, I realized the 03 cam is a must! The bike has a Thunder Alley pipe on it which sounds nice but is RIDICULOUSLY loud!

Other than the pipe, it's bone stock. I want to freshen it up a bit while it's cold outside. Since I ride tight singletrack in the woods and do a harescramble 2-3 times a year, I'd like to put a bigger rear sprocket on it. What's a good setup for the 426? Does anyone make a flywheel weight for the 426?

Is there anything I should look out for on the 01? I know the 00 426 had some issues with the clutch basket, but didn't see anything about the 01.

Assuming the valves are still in spec, would there be any reason to replace them, or should I just keep checking them and leave them be as long as they stay in spec?

Would there be any benefit in installing a new rings (just the rings, not the piston)? I like preventive maintenance, but don't see any reason in rebuilding the entire top end if it doesn't really need it.

I can't wait to get back out on this bike!!! It makes me grin every time I hear that engine come to life!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • atropine

Posted December 31, 2007 - 06:29 PM

Get a Zip-Ty adjustable fuel screw if it doesn't have one installed already. Then you can quickly adjust for the changes in temperature, which will make starting much easier. Have fun and just ride it!

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.