Just Destroyed My Clutch Basket

7 replies to this topic
  • dylanr

Posted December 31, 2007 - 04:47 PM

I had a heck of a time getting the lock nut off of my clutch, and ended up breaking the clutch basket AND center clutch hub.... idiot. now i have to decide wether or not to buy expensive aftermarket clutch parts, or go with the cheaper honda oem stuff, what do you guys think.

• Denn10

Posted December 31, 2007 - 07:29 PM

look on ebay, if it only broke cuz of a slip or mistake you had then there not bad parts. Try a cheap find on ebay then go from there.

• martinfan30

Posted December 31, 2007 - 07:43 PM

OEM is the way to go. it was designed with longevity in mind.

i always use toyota parts when doing my work on toyota's. not that its the same thing, but there is a difference.

• cleonard

Posted December 31, 2007 - 08:39 PM

OEM is the way to go. it was designed with longevity in mind.

i always use toyota parts when doing my work on toyota's. not that its the same thing, but there is a difference.

Some of the aftermarket clutch baskets have steel inserts where the clutch discs run. These vastly outlast an aluminum OEM one.

That said I replaced my badly worn clutch basket with a not perfect ebay one for $25. Honda wanted $350 or something.

You didn't say what bike you have. If it's a 650R and you want an aftermarket basket, buy now. They will soon go out of production. They stopped making them for 600's soon after Honda production stopped.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted January 01, 2008 - 08:15 AM

ok, so are they cheaper than OEM?

• cleonard

Posted January 01, 2008 - 08:34 AM

ok, so are they cheaper than OEM?

No idea really. I'll take a guess that they are about the same at an astronomical $350! I'll take ebay...

In general I agree with you on the OEM parts. There is certainly nothing wrong with them. However, for brake rotors, pads, tires, bars, grips, chains, and sprockets I usually go aftermarket because of price.

It's time to go and load the bike and head out for the first ride of the year. :banghead:

• Thumpmeister

Posted January 02, 2008 - 01:18 AM

I find that OEM is never really cheap. Honda seems to take great pride in their parts, enough so to charge an arm and a leg for them. I just finished a rebuild on an 84 XL 350, and a new piston, rings, wrist pin, clips, and gasket set ran me up to $170 for everything, and that was from Hondaparts-direct.com.

• Denn10

Posted January 02, 2008 - 09:09 AM

+1 for an aftermarket with steel inserts for clutch plates to ride on, but i guess that depends alot on how hard and how much your riding your bike also, for me i will try to find a nice cheapy stocker on ebay but for say a bike that i ride and race with alot i would replace with aftermarket when stocker went bad.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.