Baffle for XR650l

15 replies to this topic
  • tobinbakner

Posted December 31, 2007 - 09:47 AM

http://www.fourstrok....com/Tech4.html
I found this website that basically shows that you don't get a significant weight savings from an after market muffler. I have to wonder if the flow improvements are worth the need to repack. This has made me more interested in improving the stock muffler. Has anyone had any experience with changing the baffle in the stock muffler? I have read that some baffles from earlier Honda's will interchange. Specifically that ones from the early Honda Atc's will fit. Has anyone tried it? The best model number I found was for a ATC 250R. Unfortunately I don't live near a junkyard to try and find one that works. I thought about ordering one new. They are about $30 bucks. I'm just hoping for a little more confirmation than one thread from a few years ago. What is the baffle for the XR600R like? Does it flow better? I can only assume being an off road only bike that it's noise requirements are a little less than the L's.

Thanks

Tobin

• Denn10

Posted December 31, 2007 - 09:55 AM

didnt really look at my stocker as i threw it up on a shelf in the garage cuz i dont want anything to do with that restrictive muffler. They are restrictive stock but as far as repacking a baffle im not sure, thought there were baffle less myself sorry

• cleonard

Posted December 31, 2007 - 10:05 AM

The XR600 baffle is not much different than the 650L baffle. Both have a tiny hole. I have an aftermarket baffle that used to be made by Thumper Racing. It made a huge difference and is still really quiet. Unfortunately no one is still making them.

• tobinbakner

Posted December 31, 2007 - 10:16 AM

Actually I was referring to the aftermarket mufflers most of the manufacturers say you should tear the muffler apart and replace the packing every 20-30 hours. The only one that I know of that doesn't is staintune. Unfortunately everything I've read says that they don't have a spark arrestor. Plus they are really expensive. The stock muffler mostly uses baffles for it's noise reduction. That way there is no need for repacking. I know that some companies used to sell different baffle for the stock muffler to improve power but I don't think they make them anymore. Which is why if some of the older Honda's fit and give better flow it might be worth it. I always got the impression that one of the best advantages of going to an after market muffler was the weight savings. It just doesn't look like I'm saving that much weight for the cost and hassle.

Thanks

Tobin

• Denn10

Posted December 31, 2007 - 10:34 AM

aftermarket is better these days then some older stock one im sure. Weigh the stock and most aluminum aftermarket and they will be lighter, as for repacking i never follow what the manufacturer calls for as they always say alot sooner than needed. I redo mine if i feel its getting loud and its been a while. for example my manual for my YZ250 says replace top end every 10 hours LOL no way do i follow that as any other average rider. Take the manufacturers 20-30 hours with a grain of salt as im sure alot on here have alot more hours than that on their mufflers.

• tgstoken

Posted December 31, 2007 - 10:46 AM

Its my personal experience that an aftermarket muffler only has a couple advantages. One is a slight weight decrease, though barely noticible. Two is a small increase in power when jetted properly and three is the sound. Instead of the "my muffler is a soda can" sound, my Supertrapp racing exhaust on my 650L sounds like a fire breather. Remember, loud exhaust saves lives.:banghead:

• Denn10

Posted December 31, 2007 - 11:47 AM

Its my personal experience that an aftermarket muffler only has a couple advantages.

Two is a small increase in power when jetted properly and three is the sound.

your right its not alot BUT the performance gain from a stock thumb hole to an open exhaust is a bit more that just a "small increase" its very noticeable. I have a WB E2 with 12 discs and i like the tuneability of it and how you can drop down to say 4 disc's and its nice and quiet if your out hunting with it or just on a stealh mission. LOUD does save lives RIDE ON :banghead:

• tobinbakner

Posted December 31, 2007 - 01:54 PM

The XR600 baffle is not much different than the 650L baffle. Both have a tiny hole. I have an aftermarket baffle that used to be made by Thumper Racing. It made a huge difference and is still really quiet. Unfortunately no one is still making them.

Do you have any pictures of what the baffle looks like? I wonder if it would be possible to make one? How much larger is the hole than the stock one?

Thanks

Tobin

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frank ZX

Posted December 31, 2007 - 02:37 PM

For what it's worth,When I got my FMF exhaust,I weighed the stock exhaust,then the FMF.The FMF exhaust system was 6 lbs.lighter.The stock exhaust exhaust is restrictive and heavy.Even with the baffle removed,I fell like it's still too restrictive.

• Denn10

Posted December 31, 2007 - 07:31 PM

gonna go check mine in the garage for the baffle, Glad you weighed yours Frank i though stocker was pretty heavy myself.

• martinfan30

Posted December 31, 2007 - 07:40 PM

if you have ever held one in hand compared to like my E2, the weight difference is HUGE! definately worth it. at least 5 pounds difference.

• tobinbakner

Posted January 01, 2008 - 11:06 AM

I just weighed my stock muffler on the bathroom scale and it say it weighs 7 LBs. This makes me completely believe the website I linked to earlier that says it weighs 7 LBs 3 OZ. If you take the baffle out it only weighs 6 Lbs 7 OZ. They also list weights of some after market muffler. Unfortunately most of them are probably old and no longer made. I'm only interested in exhausts that are less than 96 DB. The lightest one they list is 5Lbs 2 OZ. That is a weight savings of 1 LB 5 OZ without the baffle and 2 LBs 1 Oz. That is the lightest exhaust they list. The others are heavier. Kientech lists the FMF Q2 for the DR650 at 5Lbs. I'm guessing that the XR's weighs somewhere close to that. None of these weight savings are huge. A full system will save more weight but costs a lot more. So if the stock one can be made to flow close to an after market muffler that is rated less than 96 DB it would seem to be worthwhile.

Tobin

• martinfan30

Posted January 01, 2008 - 11:15 AM

ok, so i didnt use a bathroom scale. my e2 slip on seems very much lighter than stock. might not be 5 pounds, maybe 3.:banghead:

• dirtrider115

Posted January 01, 2008 - 11:27 AM

I used a thumper racing turn down baffle end cap on my 95 xr250L and it works great stealth quiet and a more performance.To me this is a playbike anyways and loads of fun and I still enjoy it to this day.Quiet to me is my main concern, this bikes not much louder than a lawnmower and still does most anything I want from going to the store to riding dualsport rides,Ill never sell it.

• tgstoken

Posted January 01, 2008 - 12:36 PM

The ONLY reason I ever buy an aftermarket pipe is for the sound. You can gain the performance of an aftermarket pipe just by gutting the stock pipe. However, the gutted stock pipe sounds like pure sh!t. I like my bikes loud and deeeeep. The Supertrapp external disc with 16 discs fits the bill for LOUD! and produces a killer sound on my 650L.

• martinfan30

Posted January 01, 2008 - 01:37 PM

The ONLY reason I ever buy an aftermarket pipe is for the sound. You can gain the performance of an aftermarket pipe just by gutting the stock pipe. However, the gutted stock pipe sounds like pure sh!t. I like my bikes loud and deeeeep. The Supertrapp external disc with 16 discs fits the bill for LOUD! and produces a killer sound on my 650L.

the stock pipe does sound crappy gutted. my dad runs a ST and it does sound better than my E2. 16 discs is alot though. i think he has 8-9 discs.
i also read in a post that those get the best performance out of the engine with 8-10 discs.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.