To sag or not to sag?

5 replies to this topic
  • Ken209

Posted December 31, 2007 - 08:35 AM

I'm a newbie and ride a 2000 WR-400 and do mostly trail riding. I'm doing okay with my riding :D but felt that the bike sat a little too high for me (5' 11" at 200 lbs). Last week while I was replacing my steering bearings I decided to drop the bike...a lot. I measured the orig race sag at 5" and the static sag at 2" (already lower than recommended). I then lowered the steering clamps on the forks about 1/4" and reduced the rear preload by 8 revolutions. Now my race sag is at 5.75" and my static sag is at 2.75". Didn't play with any of the rebound or compression settings.

My bike now has a lower center of gravity and it seems to be easier to toss around and negotiate trails and hill climb.:busted::banana::D

My question is, is there any chance down the road I could damage anything from doing this?

I appreciate your advice.:banghead: I've used many of tips from TT to fix and keep my ride going.

Thanks
Ken

• kskyles

Posted December 31, 2007 - 09:23 AM

i don't think you're going to hurt anything on the bike.

you're probably going to be unstable at higher speeds. your bike may swap around or handle poorly when going over bumps at speed.

• byggd

Posted January 01, 2008 - 10:27 AM

I did the same thing to my 426 because the guy I got it from was 6'3" and it had a really tall seat on it. As I started to ride it a little more aggressively I really didn’t like the way it handled so I turned the pre-load back up so the sag is about 110 and cut the seat down. MUCH better IMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted January 01, 2008 - 03:21 PM

Ken,

Hurt the bike...don't see how the wrong sag could do that but if your sag isn't set properly your suspension isn't going to work properly.

Race sag on your bike should be around 4 inches and static sag should be 3/4 of an inch or so. 5.75 and 2 inches respectively of sag means your suspension can't operate to its fullest potential. The preload needs to be increased to get it to the right sag ranges. If the seat is too high then you need a lowering link. You shouldn't try to adjust ride height with the preload (except in very small increments while still maintaining the correct sag ranges.) Same with ride height. As tall as you are, the ride hight should be just fine with the stock springs. I'm 2" shorter than you and weigh basically the same so I know it can be done with the stock suspension. (I still have the stock springs and mine is set at 4" and 3/4". No lowering link either and I have a 30" inseam.) It is amazing what setting the sag properly can do for you- you don't know the difference until you do it.

If you are indeed a newbie to riding (not just to TT) it may not make that much of a difference. But as you get more experienced and you want the bike to behave to its fullest potential, the sag setting will become more important to you. In other words, if you plan to just putt around then disregard everything I said. If you want to go fast, then listen to me, grasshopper.

Good luck,

Rich

• Ken209

Posted January 05, 2008 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the advice. From what I've read and from feedback I've gotten from more experienced riders, I guess I'm still a beginner (only been riding for 9 months). Maybe that's why I can't feel any major differences in the way I've setup the bike. I guess I'll keep it the same for now and when I become more proficient I look forward to setting it up the correct way. Thanks guys. :banghead:

Ken

• tcmII

Posted January 15, 2008 - 07:22 PM

Being roughly the same size as you (5'11" ~220 w/gear) I would think you are running very soft. Also, are you setting the sag with all of your gear. It doesn't seem like much but all of my gear, fanny pack w/tools and camel back it adds about 25 pounds.

I agree with the ~4" of race sag, but I think that static should be less, about ~1/2"

Lastly, at 200 pounds both sets of springs would be light. I replaced mine with a higher rate and had them rebuilt/revalved by MCR. That makes a huge difference.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.