2004 WR450 Grinding Off Starter Gear (when engine stops)

5 replies to this topic
  • stlWR450

Posted December 30, 2007 - 07:11 PM

I have a 2004 WR450, when the engine is turned off or dies it turns the starter back wards (you can hear it). This is causing the gear on the starter shaft to be grounded off. I am on my second starter. It has had this problem since it was new. Has any one else had this problem? I double checked the title and it is a 2004 not a 2003. The starter gear seams to be the only thing that is being damaged. For now I have removed the DAMPER ASSY and just kick start it since the starter Gear will no longer turn the DAMPER ASSY gear. :banghead:

• eurobound

Posted April 12, 2008 - 09:03 AM

bump! I have a friend who has similar problem... anyone know what's going on with the 2004's?

• martin450

Posted April 12, 2008 - 11:05 AM

i got a problem with my 03 wrf , just spins when ya hit the button , but only when its warm , when its cold nothing happens , starts on 2nd kick though ??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eurobound

Posted April 13, 2008 - 11:08 AM

Martin450 - have you opened it up yet to see what was damaged?

Anybody know what might be the cause? 03 is likely the same starter issues as documented in previous years - should be replaced with an 04 system.

Anyone know about the 04? Same sympton as the 03 has happened twice already to my friend? Just spins but doesn't start the bike. Kicks okay.

thanks in advance for any ideas!

• whacker99

Posted April 13, 2008 - 07:40 PM

starter clutch needs to be replaced....

I blew 2 starters before I replaced the starter clutch.....now everything is good...

• martin450

Posted April 19, 2008 - 11:34 AM

I've not had a look inside yet , will do in a couple weeks though,
Will be in touch ,
Thanks ddragic

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.