clutch swell

6 replies to this topic
  • markryam

Posted December 30, 2007 - 01:49 PM

i have a yz450f 08, and when i ride hard the clutch lever play increases so the lever only works from about 10mm before touching the bar - and goes back when it cools down - i use putoline 10w30 oil, fully synthetic. i understand that its the clutch swelling.

anyone suffer the same or any remedies?

cheers

• kjknotek

Posted December 30, 2007 - 04:36 PM

It's the synthetic oil. I went through the exact same thing on my 06 and found out that my wet clutch hates synthetic oil and I burnt up my clutch in record time. I would order new clutch plates (yours are probably close to toast) and switch to non synthetic oil. I guess the synthetic oil in a wet clutch is too slick and does not allow your clutch to fully grip, causing friction that heats up your clutch as you ride causing the fade. When I started riding I did not know what oil to get and just asked the guy at the bike shop what is best and he sold me semi synthetic. Now I know, no synthetic for me only Yamalube.

• todds924

Posted December 30, 2007 - 08:20 PM

I had the same problem on my 08 when it was brand new. I don't run synthetic oil and had the same problem. On my 06 i never had a problem and that bike has 100 hours on the stock clutch and has been raced for a year. The 08 really bothered me at first. I would adjust it cold with the proper freeplay and by mid race it would be halfway to the bar. The 08 clutch is different than the 06. My 08 has about 25 hours on it now and i found a happy median for the adjustment. I go out in practice and halfway through i'll just adjust it to where there is very little freeplay....by the end of a race its perfect. I think with more time on your bike you'll find once everything gets worn in, it wont have this problem. I havent had to touch the adjuster at all the last 4 races i've done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • markryam

Posted December 31, 2007 - 10:59 AM

thing is i have used this oil before and had no prob, even on our 07 ktm 250sxs-f sayin that - it had a hyd clutch. maybe i have just struck the answer!!!

• todds924

Posted December 31, 2007 - 08:12 PM

thing is i have used this oil before and had no prob, even on our 07 ktm 250sxs-f sayin that - it had a hyd clutch. maybe i have just struck the answer!!!

Yeah, its not the synthetic oil. A hydraulic clutch is an idea for sure.

• USED YZ426F

Posted January 01, 2008 - 10:21 AM

Does the oil you are using have any friction modifiers in it? Many oils (synthetic and conventional) have additives in them to reduce shearing friction. I have heard that they will cause problems with your motorcycle clutch.
I make sure that the oil I use in my bikes have no friction modifiers in them, and don't have a problem with my clutch.

• todds924

Posted January 01, 2008 - 11:18 AM

This problem is inherent to the 08 yz 450. It will go away like mine did after everythings good and broken in.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.