radiator braces/guards???

45 replies to this topic
  • rickallen124

Posted January 01, 2008 - 11:21 AM

go to www.motocrossactionmag.com and check out the rem report. Lightspeed had a rider testing a 08 450 with a repositioned motor

• rickallen124

Posted January 01, 2008 - 11:24 AM

http://www.motocross...C56B01C964987B5

• grunkthump

Posted January 01, 2008 - 01:37 PM

wonder why it is alum. tanked??

• JohnnyOfast

Posted January 01, 2008 - 02:21 PM

wonder why it is alum. tanked??

Maybe it's fuel injected.

• grunkthump

Posted January 01, 2008 - 02:48 PM

hmmmm....not sure why litespeed would have an FI yzf...I would think Yamaha techs would be testing with that not an aftermarket company...but who the heck knows nowadays!!

• WB450

Posted January 02, 2008 - 02:24 PM

Wrong info.

• wakin

Posted January 03, 2008 - 08:15 AM

I have some Unabikers for my '06 450. 2 years and many, many crashes later, the radiators are still straight and even the fins still look new.

+1

Posted Image
Posted Image

• WB450

Posted January 03, 2008 - 10:17 AM

+1

Posted Image
Posted Image

Your just showing off your bike!, and I see why.:banghead:

• rideawn

Posted January 03, 2008 - 11:14 AM

anyone tried the Moose Racing cages??

I recently installed the Moose on my '07. I had to trim an upside down V-shaped notch in the bottom of each shroud, as well as remove the inside rib from the shrouds. A dremel was a real life saver here. I helped a friend install the Works braces. If I had to do it again and choose, I'd go with the Works braces for ease of install and also better protection of the lower outside corner of the radiators. A few more bucks for the Works, but worth it.

• grunkthump

Posted January 03, 2008 - 12:45 PM

on the works cages do you need to drain the coolant etc. as you do with the moose??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wakin

Posted January 03, 2008 - 03:13 PM

Your just showing off your bike!, and I see why.:banghead:

After a summer of technical mtn single track it's definately not that pretty anymore, still dang nice though:ride:

• Wiz636

Posted January 03, 2008 - 03:52 PM

Keep in mind that while it is nice to have the protection in front to guard against punctures from brush, sticks, etc., if you ride in sticky mud you need to take steps to keep your guards from getting packed with mud.

I forgot to spray silicone on my Devol Racing guards or wrap them in panty hose and you can see in the pic below how the mud was sticking to them in a hare scramble at Washougal MX on New Years Day. They ended up being about 50% blocked in a diagonal pattern like you can see.

That being said, I never had any overheating issues even in the slow technical sections...I think because the Devols sit out in front of the rads enough that air could still flow even though they were partially blocked.

Posted Image

• bleetham

Posted January 03, 2008 - 04:05 PM

on the works cages do you need to drain the coolant etc. as you do with the moose??

The instructions for the WC says to drain. I did not and it was an easy installation. Aside from trimming the plastic radiator vents it was a piece of cake and has worked great. I've had the WC braces for a year and no issues.

• albertaguy

Posted January 03, 2008 - 05:22 PM

I was going to mention that about the devols I have on my yzf, lots of clearance behind the front cage for ventilation. Even ran them in the dunes two trips and no overheating issues. Probably a good inch plus between them. Hadn't heard of the silicon or nylon trick. The new devols are really strong and braced in the bottom outside corner compared to the ones I had on my 05 crf which crushed in easily on the corners.

• smokin529

Posted January 03, 2008 - 08:56 PM

Another vote for Devol! I've ran them on my 426, '04 450 and now on my '07. Never have had an overheat issue. I also use Engine Ice to make sure it dosn't overheat.

• rickallen124

Posted January 05, 2008 - 06:49 AM

Has anyone used a dremel tool to trim the plastic louvers for the works connection cages? If so what atachment did you use? I remember one of the magazines saying that they used a dremel tool in place of the tin snips works connection advises and wondered what bit/disk etc one would use to do this job. What did you use rideawn? Thanks, Rick.

• JohnnyOfast

Posted January 05, 2008 - 03:11 PM

Has anyone used a dremel tool to trim the plastic louvers for the works connection cages? If so what atachment did you use? I remember one of the magazines saying that they used a dremel tool in place of the tin snips works connection advises and wondered what bit/disk etc one would use to do this job. What did you use rideawn? Thanks, Rick.

No need. Just trimmed it with a fresh razor blade, make sure you don't take off too much.

• rideawn

Posted January 09, 2008 - 08:07 AM

For dremel, I used several cutting ends, since they break often. Remember to cut through as you move left to right, otherwise melting plastic will build up on the tip and break the cutting end sooner. I also used a green grinding tip to level off and round out edges. Wear safety glasses, plastic chunks fly and don't feel good in your eye :banghead:

grunkthump on the works cages do you need to drain the coolant etc. as you do with the moose??

We did not have to drain coolant for the Works cages. I did have to for the Moose. I took the opportunity to install silicone hoses.

• JohnnyOfast

Posted January 09, 2008 - 08:24 AM

For dremel, I used several cutting ends, since they break often. Remember to cut through as you move left to right, otherwise melting plastic will build up on the tip and break the cutting end sooner. I also used a green grinding tip to level off and round out edges. Wear safety glasses, plastic chunks fly and don't feel good in your eye.

How much material are you removing? was only a tiny little snip of plastic, sounds awfully extreme. :banghead:

• Wiz636

Posted January 09, 2008 - 09:22 AM

I just installed some Moose cages on my sons YZ250 last night and used a dremel to do the trimming which made it very quick and easy. I'm pretty sure it was this bit (DRE-194) http://www.hobbylinc.../dre/dre194.htm It cut the shroud plastic like a hot knife through butter.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.