Fasst bars or steering stabilizer...or both?

5 replies to this topic
  • mxer_69

Posted December 30, 2007 - 11:19 AM

Happy holidays guys!!

I've been out of commission for the last 2 years due to a nagging wrist injury (broken scaphiod w/ a few surgeries) and finally my wrist has enough strength to hold on for a couple moto's. I'm basically doing everything I can to help my wrist out. Just wondering if anyone has any input as to what I should do as far as bike setup goes. Any experiences with Fasst rubber mounted bars or Scotts steering stabilizer....or even a long shot here, has anyone tried both?!? I am an Intermediate/Expert MX rider and fairly advanced off-road rider as well.

Thanks guys...

• MotoXT

Posted December 30, 2007 - 11:39 AM

I run the Fasst bars, and the Scotts is on the way. The bars are awesome for two reasons:
1) Very adjustable, so you can dial the height to your liking
2) Really dissapate the energy on slap downs and other hard hits

I think the bars alone help fight fatique in the hands, wrists and forearms, whereas the stabilizer will help with those areas, and overall upper body fatique as well. I have a couple of friends with the Scotts and they won't ride without it.

I think if you have the money, these two mods together will definitely prolong your seat time. Plus, you can take each with you from bike to bike, which makes justifying the purchase a little easier.

• shiner

Posted December 30, 2007 - 12:09 PM

I wish I had been as smart as you prior to last April. Didn't have the Scott's on at that time and broke my right wrist. I've continued to ride with it broken but with a CF brace. I was pushing too hard and was caught off guard. If I had to do it again obviously the Scotts would have helped prevent the injury but the presense of the Flexx bars would not have. If I were in your shoes, I would consider 3 things. 1. You want to get back on the bike and not necessarily be in race mode but you do not re-agravate the wrist. Get the bars. 2. Get yourself a high quality wrist brace, perhaps your insurance can help out. 3. Get the Scott's.

I put the Scott's last as I do think it would be wise but I'm wanting to get you back on the bike first and the Flexx bars would help your comfort in that regard faster. todd

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxer_69

Posted December 30, 2007 - 12:29 PM

Thanks guys. I started pushing myself this last fall and was pleased with what my wrist could handle. I purchased an OTS CTI wrist brace as soon as I found out I needed surgery. I am hopeful that the bars and stabilizer can be used together because I find discomfort in mainly 2 actions: Flat landing or "slappers" or a sudden jarring of the bars...think of opening a jar lid type action. If i were to purchase both items, would the bar mount type stabilizer work or would I need a sub mount?

Thanks again

• MotoXT

Posted December 30, 2007 - 07:26 PM

Thanks guys. I started pushing myself this last fall and was pleased with what my wrist could handle. I purchased an OTS CTI wrist brace as soon as I found out I needed surgery. I am hopeful that the bars and stabilizer can be used together because I find discomfort in mainly 2 actions: Flat landing or "slappers" or a sudden jarring of the bars...think of opening a jar lid type action. If i were to purchase both items, would the bar mount type stabilizer work or would I need a sub mount?

Thanks again

Assuming you don't have an '08 YZ 450 you can run the above bar Scott's mount with the Fasst bars, but you need to buy different crossbars from Faast for ~$35. This set-up keeps your bar height unchanged as well. Scotts has not been able to developed the frame mount for the above bar and below bar for the '08 because of the taper of the head tube. IMO you're better off with the sub mounted Scotts (sits just above the fender) anyway. The mount bolts to the frame and is much sturdier than the upper mount systems that I have seen, which all have a little flex in the post that runs up from the head tube mount to the stabilizer.

• mxer_69

Posted December 31, 2007 - 10:18 AM

Thanks MotoXT, well unfortunately for me I do have an '08. I contacted Scott's about a stabilizer in October and he said that they should have something by the new year, hopefully they come through. Not really wanting to put a fender mounted one on. I think I might just get the fasst bars with the additional cross bar piece and wait for Scotts to come through. I also plan on sending my suspension out to Enzo to get everything overhauled to help my wrist out as well. I sure like trickin' out my "whip" but damn, its getting expensive!!:banghead:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.