1999 yz400f

11 replies to this topic
  • answerace

Posted December 30, 2007 - 07:47 AM

Hi, I am new to forum (first post) but not new to dirtbikes. I have been looking for a new bike because i've been out of the scene for a few years (6 or so) I am 25 ~ 210 lb and 6'2" and am looking for a good size bike that is reliable. I am having trouble deciding between 2t and 4t and sizes

I found a 1999 yz400f for sale for $1500. It has aftermarket exhaust, handlebars, and sprokets. However the owner said it needs a head gasket and that it leaks water. He said he would have his mechanic fix it and still sell it for 1500. Is this bike worth looking at or should i steer clear? I am somewhat handy with tools. I've done a lot of work on cars (engine, suspension, etc) and a little work on motorcycles but never any engine work on a dirtbike. Any advice?
-Jared

here are a couple other options:

http://allentown.cra.../518454764.html

http://allentown.cra.../512436526.html

• Geezerx

Posted December 30, 2007 - 07:54 AM

The only draw back to a leaking headgasket, assuming that it is leaking internally, is that it might have accumulated some moisture in the cylinder or the bottom end.

• scalejockey

Posted December 30, 2007 - 07:55 AM

Anywhere from a few hundred to fix or 2 grand (in parts) it's hard to say untill it's apart.

• Smokeslider

Posted December 30, 2007 - 11:03 AM

1500 seems high if the bike has some problems....

• yamaha racing 230

Posted December 30, 2007 - 11:37 AM

i tried to sell my 99 yz400f abd i could sell it 4 1500 or maybe im just not patient but it was on craglist for 2 weeks

• answerace

Posted December 30, 2007 - 07:42 PM

still want to sell it? or did you?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wes Woodin

Posted December 30, 2007 - 08:25 PM

Hi, I am new to forum (first post) but not new to dirtbikes. I have been looking for a new bike because i've been out of the scene for a few years (6 or so) I am 25 ~ 210 lb and 6'2" and am looking for a good size bike that is reliable. I am having trouble deciding between 2t and 4t and sizes

I found a 1999 yz400f for sale for $1500. It has aftermarket exhaust, handlebars, and sprokets. However the owner said it needs a head gasket and that it leaks water. He said he would have his mechanic fix it and still sell it for 1500. Is this bike worth looking at or should i steer clear? I am somewhat handy with tools. I've done a lot of work on cars (engine, suspension, etc) and a little work on motorcycles but never any engine work on a dirtbike. Any advice?
-Jared

here are a couple other options:

http://allentown.cra.../518454764.html

http://allentown.cra.../512436526.html

One thing I have learned about dirtbikes and trucks. Always try to buy new, because people abuse them. The problem with a 4t is that the maintenance is more $$$. 2t are cheaper to rebuild. I would try to find a 4t a couple of years old that hasn't been raced. It is a buyers market. If you need to be on a budget(1K-1.5K) find nice 2t that hasn't been abused. I will tell you that I used to be a die hard 2 stroker but the new 4t's are the heat. I will never return to a two smoker. Hope this helps and Happy New Year!:banghead: Oh yeah stay clear of the leaking one.

• yamaha racing 230

Posted December 31, 2007 - 08:14 AM

still want to sell it? or did you?

nope shes still for sale

• Smokeslider

Posted December 31, 2007 - 11:06 AM

I disagree with Wes Woodin regarding the purchasing of Race bikes. IMHO, it's the non-racers that hammer their machines with little regard for maintanence or cleanliness. Most racers are diligant with maint. and always know exactly what's going on with the machine. Most racers also keep very good records where a lot of non-racers hardly ever remember to change the oil. I'm not saying all are like this but it just seems like this is a trend for the masses.

• answerace

Posted December 31, 2007 - 11:57 AM

yamaha racing 230.... where are you located in maryland. How much are you asking for it now? It looks pretty nice. I would def be interested. It might be a few weeks yet till i get the money together. I've been looking for like 6 months now and haven't found much in my price range (poor college grad still looking for a good job). Right now i just install flooring.

Anyone need any work done?

• yamaha racing 230

Posted December 31, 2007 - 11:32 PM

not to hijack the thread and to stay on topic ill pm u

• 1999yz400fRider429

Posted January 28, 2008 - 06:30 PM

i bought a running yz400f for $1000 bucks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.