Picking up an 07 WR450 Monday! - What 1st?

17 replies to this topic
  • steverad1

Posted December 29, 2007 - 04:16 PM

OK everyone - I'm going for it. I'm picking up a new 07 WR450 on Monday. I can't wait to get behind the throttle. I have been riding a TTR 250 for a couple years now. It's been a great bike but always felt a little heavy and lacking in power. I weigh about 185lbs do alot of trail and hill climbing with some motocross track riding. Based on everything I've seen and read, I believe the WR is the bike I have been looking for.

Anyhow, I pick the bike up on Monday and we are hitting the trails on Tuesday. I don't want to take it out the 1st time and be disapointed in the power. From everything I've read it sounds like it comes pretty corked up stock. I have been reading about the different mods to open it up. Are there any that I should go ahead and do right away before I even hit the 1st trail? Would it be helpful to go ahead and remove the baffle, remove the grey wire, remove the snorkel? I don't know if I'll have time to mess with the AIS just yet.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Look forward to having a lot of conversations with you guys in the future.

Steve

• resinlips

Posted December 29, 2007 - 06:43 PM

Well maybe you should just ride it first and make sure nothing is wrong with it before you start tinkering. Just a thought.
It makes plenty of hp without the mods. Congrats!!

• GoodGuy

Posted December 29, 2007 - 06:50 PM

Put the Yamaha AIS rmoval on mine, removed grey wire from connector (not cut), rmoved snorkel and installed GTYR Yamaha large diameter tip in pipe. Been riding WRs and YZs since 98 and this bike flat rips!!!!!

• erickdj

Posted December 29, 2007 - 08:09 PM

Congratulations on the new/future bike. I see quite a few similarities between us, I also used to ride a ttr-250 before I bought the 07 WR450F, I also weigh 185, and do the exact same type of riding. The WR does come pretty corked up from the factory, so my suggestion to you is to do the following: Get the 168/48 main/pilot jets, NFPP needle and use it on the 3rd from top clip position, size 40 leak jet, and a couple of tiny o-rings for the AP linkage, and DON'T forget to get a yz450 throttle stop screw it is VERY important. Also, it might help you to get an adjustable fuel screw. Remove the baffle completely from the muffler, only leaving the spark arrestor on, it won't be that loud. Remove the airbox snorkel and the frame that holds it in place. Disconnect the grey wire under the left number plate behind the airbox. It should cost you well under $50 for all the parts and probably no longer than 4 hours to do everything, even if you work on it really slow. Coming from the ttr-250 you'll be VERY happy with the 07 WR450F, after doing the mods the bike will absolutely RIP, it's very cheap to do the mods and doesn't take long. I'd do the mods before you even take it out anywhere, it will make it perform the way it should and you'll familiarize yourself with the bike. If you're unsure about doing some of the mods PM me and I'll try to help you out. Oh, and one last thing; don't expect too much from the WR450F when it comes to riding it on a MX track, the weight of the bike and the soft suspension will keep you away from the track. I tried mine on a MX track and I absolutely hated it, it doesn't turn very easy, it's too heavy specially up front, and the suspension can't take any serious MX jumps. It has PLENTY of power to go fast, but it just feels like a fat pig on the track. As a trail/hill climb/desert bike it's awesome, I wouldn't trade my WR for anything on tight trails and woods riding, it's perfect for the purpose it was designed for, just not MX tracks. Two days ago I bought a new 08 YZ450F, that thing is AWESOME on the MX track, that's what it was designed for. The 08 YZ450 is light, it's very flickable, has awesome suspension, TONS of power, and it turns on a dime. Big jumps and tight turns are so easy compared to the wR that it feels like cheating. The downside of the YZ compared to the WR is that there's no e-start(a must on trails and hill climbs), no lights, and it doesn't like to be lugged around one gear higher. The light weight flywheel forces you to shift more often than the WR does, but it's not that bad. Ok, I'm so happy with my new yz that I'm going way off topic here. Anyway, enjoy your WR450F, you won't regret buying it, and don't forget to do the mods!!!!

• BAD BOY

Posted December 29, 2007 - 08:16 PM

wow.. Congratulations......

• resinlips

Posted December 29, 2007 - 09:44 PM

Take a Valium Erick

• erickdj

Posted December 29, 2007 - 09:55 PM

Take a Valium Erick

Hey Mike, long time no see/talk.... No need for Valium right now, I got my emotions pretty high as is with my new YZ. We gotta ride again some time, I might go by hollister one of these days.:banghead: :busted: :D

• steverad1

Posted December 29, 2007 - 09:57 PM

Congratulations on the new/future bike. I see quite a few similarities between us, I also used to ride a ttr-250 before I bought the 07 WR450F, I also weigh 185, and do the exact same type of riding. The WR does come pretty corked up from the factory, so my suggestion to you is to do the following: Get the 168/48 main/pilot jets, NFPP needle and use it on the 3rd from top clip position, size 40 leak jet, and a couple of tiny o-rings for the AP linkage, and DON'T forget to get a yz450 throttle stop screw it is VERY important. Also, it might help you to get an adjustable fuel screw. Remove the baffle completely from the muffler, only leaving the spark arrestor on, it won't be that loud. Remove the airbox snorkel and the frame that holds it in place. Disconnect the grey wire under the left number plate behind the airbox. It should cost you well under $50 for all the parts and probably no longer than 4 hours to do everything, even if you work on it really slow. Coming from the ttr-250 you'll be VERY happy with the 07 WR450F, after doing the mods the bike will absolutely RIP, it's very cheap to do the mods and doesn't take long. I'd do the mods before you even take it out anywhere, it will make it perform the way it should and you'll familiarize yourself with the bike. If you're unsure about doing some of the mods PM me and I'll try to help you out. Oh, and one last thing; don't expect too much from the WR450F when it comes to riding it on a MX track, the weight of the bike and the soft suspension will keep you away from the track. I tried mine on a MX track and I absolutely hated it, it doesn't turn very easy, it's too heavy specially up front, and the suspension can't take any serious MX jumps. It has PLENTY of power to go fast, but it just feels like a fat pig on the track. As a trail/hill climb/desert bike it's awesome, I wouldn't trade my WR for anything on tight trails and woods riding, it's perfect for the purpose it was designed for, just not MX tracks. Two days ago I bought a new 08 YZ450F, that thing is AWESOME on the MX track, that's what it was designed for. The 08 YZ450 is light, it's very flickable, has awesome suspension, TONS of power, and it turns on a dime. Big jumps and tight turns are so easy compared to the wR that it feels like cheating. The downside of the YZ compared to the WR is that there's no e-start(a must on trails and hill climbs), no lights, and it doesn't like to be lugged around one gear higher. The light weight flywheel forces you to shift more often than the WR does, but it's not that bad. Ok, I'm so happy with my new yz that I'm going way off topic here. Anyway, enjoy your WR450F, you won't regret buying it, and don't forget to do the mods!!!!

Eric,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Where do you recommend getting the jets and needle valve from? I don't think I'll have time to get all everything you mentioned done before Tuesday. Would it make sense to just start out with the grey wire removal, snorkel removal and baffle removal? Or should I wait and try and do it all together?

Thanks,

Steve

• erickdj

Posted December 29, 2007 - 10:12 PM

Steve,

The jets can be bought from any bike dealer, yamaha, honda, etc... They are standard Mikuni jets, which many makes/model bikes use. The needle I'm not too sure about, but your Yamaha dealer where you're getting the bike can get you all the necessary parts. They sell the AIS kit which includes the needle, some jets, instructions and AIS block off plates. However, if they don't have the AIS kit in stock I wouldn't even bother ordering it. You can get the jets/needle one by one for a lot less $. Besides, you may end up needing entirely different jet sizes than the ones they provide in the AIS kit, so you're better off getting the jets one by one. I'd wait to do all the mods together, they all complement each other in making the bike run the way it should. Here's a list of parts you can hand to your parts dept at the Yamaha dealer:

168 Main Jet
48 Pilot Jet
GYTR Fuel Screw
NFPP Needle (2006-2007 YZ450F)
2007 YZ450F Throttle Stop Screw
40 Leak Jet
3mm or 4mm o-rings (two o-rings, either size)

It would be a good idea to read the mods sticky on this forum so you can start getting an idea of what the process will involve, you can find some posts with pictures that show exactly how to get all the free mods done to the WR. Seeing some pictures before taking on the job will make it easier when the time comes, I can only tell you in words how to do it, but pictures can "show" you the process.

Erick.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted December 30, 2007 - 12:30 AM

Eric - Have you tried the YZ out on the trails - specifically with regards to the suspension?

• SurvivorMan

Posted December 30, 2007 - 07:01 AM

Mikuni jets??? i thought our Yamaha's had Keihin carbs.

congrats on the new bike! take the muffler right off and put it on the shelf until you sell the bike. don't even try the inner baffle removal thing, that rear exhaust can is heavy and blocks all the good power. i put on a fmf powercore 4.1. it's light, short and lets the bike breathe....i highly recommend.

• erickdj

Posted December 30, 2007 - 08:13 AM

Eric - Have you tried the YZ out on the trails - specifically with regards to the suspension?

I actually tried it on the trails before I took it to the track. I weigh around 185, so with full gear I'm guessing it's about 200 lbs. The YZ does have stiffer suspension compared to the WR. I actually like it, it's not a stiff suspension that will "punish" your body on the trails, not at all. Rode the bike pretty much all day, mostly trails, hill climbs, and some track laps, I'm not any more tired or sore than I would be after riding my WR. I left the suspension settings stock on the YZ, I checked the sag the day before riding it and it was almost spot on, so I left that alone. On the WR I had to stiffen up the forks and shock settings a little bit, and the sag was quite a bit off too. The one thing I noticed most was the light flywheel, it makes you shift more than the WR does, it just doesn't like to be lugged around. I should point out that I'm not using the YZ 08 stock exhaust, I removed that "shorty" POS and borrowed my WR's 06 YZ muffler and Pro Circuit header, that went along with a re-jet session. I borrowed the exhaust from my WR because I'm waiting for a full Dr.D system for the YZ, and while I wait I had to use a spark arrested muffler. I did try the YZ for a little bit with the stock "shorty" the day I bought it, but it was hardly for three minutes or so. I didn't notice any lack of power down low, but it might be because of the 08 header design, that 08 header is HUGE. Too bad I couldn't use that header with the 06 muffler, that would have been awesome. If you ever make it to northern CA or the central valley for some riding you'd be more than welcome to try my bike.:banghead: :busted:

• erickdj

Posted December 30, 2007 - 08:22 AM

Mikuni jets??? i thought our Yamaha's had Keihin carbs.

congrats on the new bike! take the muffler right off and put it on the shelf until you sell the bike. don't even try the inner baffle removal thing, that rear exhaust can is heavy and blocks all the good power. i put on a fmf powercore 4.1. it's light, short and lets the bike breathe....i highly recommend.

my bad, it's Keihin jets. I was half asleep and got the names mixed up. Thanks for pointing that out. :banghead:

Removing the baffle does give a pretty good boost in power, and it costs nothing. I will have to agree that an aftermarket or 06-07 YZ muffler will unleash the bike's true power. Unless someone is a very good and aggressive rider he won't need another exhaust for a little while. Coming off from the same ttr-250 I was quite satisfied and at times scared :D with the WR's power. Eventually I did get an open muffler and better header. Just my $0.2 :busted:

• steverad1

Posted December 30, 2007 - 09:37 AM

Eric,

I have read some posts from people that say that the 450 bikes will wear you out on long trail rides and are not as much fun to ride as the 250s. I don't know whether they have actually experienced the 2007 WR. Sounds like you are about the same size as me. I am roughly 185 lbs, 5'7, 47 years old in good physical shape. What do you think? Do you think I'd be happy with the 450? I do want something that has power to spare but not something that I have to fight with on the trail. It looks like the YZ is considerably lighter than the WR. I will be doing mainly trail and hair scramble type riding. I can still change my order at the Yammi place. They have also got an 08 YZ250F in stock. They don't have a WR 250. I can get either one of them at a very good price.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

• erickdj

Posted December 30, 2007 - 10:15 AM

Steve,

We are pretty close in body size. I'm 185lbs 5'6" approximately. In good shape, but 20 years younger. Don't let the age deceive you, my dad is 54 years old in good shape and rides with me all day,(in fact,he rides a 98 yz400f). The WR450F will not tire you at all. We both come from the same ttr-250 background, that bike is a TANK. It has decent power, but it's WAY too heavy and the suspension sucks. If you have ridden the ttr-250 for more than one year don't even bother considering another 250. Sure, the 250cc WR's & YZ's have plenty more power than the ttr, but you would outgrow it quickly. In all honesty, I think the 07 WR450F is THE ticket for you. The first thing you'll notice when riding the wR for the fist time is how light it feels, then comes the POWER :busted: :D :D :D :ride: :bonk: , and last but not least the suspension. The suspension will make you feel like you've gained a couple years of riding experience, because the ttr-250 will hold back your skill progress. I remember more times being really tired and sore after riding the ttr-250 than the WR450f. It's funny that at the end of a 6 hour riding day I feel like I'm riding at the top of my ability, in a good way. I've never regretted buying my WR, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have good memories from my ttr-250, it was my learning bike and bought it dirt cheap, but the time came to move on. One thing, don't forget to do the mods on the WR450F, it makes it run like a totally different bike. I can't even tell you how happy you're about to be when you get the WR. Take some pictures and add them to your Thumpertalk garage, or post them on this thread. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. Good luck! :banghead: :D

Erick.

• steverad1

Posted December 30, 2007 - 10:26 AM

That's great Eric. I'll stick with it. I'll definitely post my 1st experience with it after Tuesday.

One other question.. I noticed you are 5'6". I am 5'7" I always thought the TTR250 was a little too tall for me. Kind of a pain when you get stuck on a hill and you are on the low side of the bike. The WR is actually taller. What do you think about the seat height? Apparently you are doing fine with it. Do you actually like it high like that or would you prefer it to be lower. I know there are some lowering links available, but I am a little hesitant to mess with the balance and design of the bike.

Thanks,

Steve

• erickdj

Posted December 30, 2007 - 05:50 PM

Steve,

Don't worry about the seat height on the WR. You're right, at 5'6" I've been doing fine with it, and I don't have "long" legs either. It only takes a little while to get used to it, in fact, it doesn't feel any higher than the ttr-250. The WR has a narrow profile to it, feels much better than the ttr-250. I wouldn't do anything to lower the bike, I like it just the way it is. When you ride on tight trails where ground clearance is needed, you'll be glad the bike is somewhat tall. If you can, don't even bother lowering the bike, it may take some time getting used to, but eventually you'll think it's perfect. My dad is a little shorter than me and has shorter legs, he rides a yz400f which may be a hair taller than my WR. At first he was extremely frustrated and swore he would lower his bike, but now he's happy with it. The only time he wishes to have it a little lower is when he's on a slope and stalls the bike. But the WR has the electric starter, so it's not even an issue with the WR. Another factor is that the bike has so much power that you can learn to make it do anything you want, and you'll find yourself stalling it and falling much less than you ever did on your ttr-250. I can pretty much count with my fingers the times I've stalled or fallen off my WR since I've had it. The ligher bike, stronger engine, and better suspension will allow you to advance your riding skills, but don't take my word for it. Ride it hard and put lots of miles on it, once you reach 1000 miles on it let me know how you feel about the bike. In short, the bike is very different and may feel strange at first, but you'll learn to appreciate those differences. I wouldn't change anything about my WR for trail riding. Let me know how you like it on tuesday. :banghead: :busted: :D :D

Erick.

• C-P

Posted December 30, 2007 - 08:39 PM

Eric,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Where do you recommend getting the jets and needle valve from? I don't think I'll have time to get all everything you mentioned done before Tuesday. Would it make sense to just start out with the grey wire removal, snorkel removal and baffle removal? Or should I wait and try and do it all together?

Thanks,

Steve

When Dirt Rider tested the WR, they recommended removing the small exhaust baffle, disconnect gray wire, remove snorkel, and YZ throttle stop - they said it was still pretty rideable with stock jetting. You could probably get away with the baffle/gray wire/snorkel to get a quick start and ride for a day, then tear into the carb jets-stop-oring & AIS removal all at once. You'll probably hate having half throttle in a hurry!

Also, you can find all the jets and needle part #'s from Yamaha in the YZ450 parts diagrams (yamaha-motor.com). In their wisdom, they offer no mods for our epa-legal machines...enjoy!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.