dirty oil after only 1hr riding

6 replies to this topic
  • graazzy

Posted December 29, 2007 - 04:09 PM

after changing the oil , completely drained ,& cleaning the s/s oil filter on my 03 wr450f ,the oil becomes quite dark , nearly black after only 1hr riding .Is there a problem with the clutch plate material , could this be caused by the previous owner not changing oil often enough, i am using castrol r4 superbike , a fully synthetic 5w-40 oil , if anyone can help please do.

• Solo

Posted December 29, 2007 - 09:32 PM

Did you do the oil change prior to this one? If the oil changes have been neglected the fresh oil will pick up deposits inside the engine. Further oil changes would get progressively cleaner and stay that way longer.

If you did the last oil change to and the interval was not extended then I would certainly be inspecting the clutch.

• SXP

Posted December 30, 2007 - 12:16 AM

after changing the oil , completely drained ,& cleaning the s/s oil filter on my 03 wr450f ,the oil becomes quite dark , nearly black after only 1hr riding .Is there a problem with the clutch plate material , could this be caused by the previous owner not changing oil often enough, i am using castrol r4 superbike , a fully synthetic 5w-40 oil , if anyone can help please do.

Or, if your bike is tired, blow-by around the rings will contaminate the oil in a hurry. How many hours/miles on the bike? Do you know if the top end was ever freshened up?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • graazzy

Posted December 30, 2007 - 04:56 AM

not knowing the history of the bike,i can say it runs very nice , having been around bikes for a while.

• graazzy

Posted December 30, 2007 - 05:02 AM

having just bought the the bike i decided to change the oil and install s/s filter.The paper filter looked very poor indeed.After riding the bike the clutch was a bit grabby ,so i decided to drain some oil , not all of it & top up with a heavier mineral oil.Hence my shock horror at the color of the oil.

• WR_Dave

Posted December 30, 2007 - 06:57 AM

Mixing synthetic and mineral oils is usually not the best idea, they aren't always compatable with each other. Synthetic oil shouldn't produce a grabby clutch. Solo is right about the new oil picking up the sludge left behind by the previous owners poor service record. If the clutch is grabby and the bike is "new" to you then I would suspect a worn or grooved clutch basket. May be a good time to do a few quick oil changes to flush the bike out and then inspect the clutch for wear. WR Dave.

• graazzy

Posted December 30, 2007 - 01:14 PM

thank you i will do just that!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.