Large amount of coolant coming out of overflow

8 replies to this topic
  • gio

Posted December 29, 2007 - 12:50 PM

Hey guys

I recently bought a yz400f and dont much about these bikes. I noticed when it's idling, it seems to me that a lot of coolant comes out of the overflow. Once started it's only a matter of seconds and coolant starts coming out of the overflow. Do these bikes warm up that quickly. After an hour of so of riding i needed to put in 1/2 litre of coolant or a fraction less than 1/2 L. Is this normal with these bikes, it does not seem to leaking anywhere else.
The second thing is my bike starts with no choke when its cold. I have never heard of this and researched some of the sticky forums. It may be too large a pilot valve, but i have not pulled the carb apart to check it yet. It runs fine for a while and then idles inconsistently (high, then low and stalls). I put in a new plug and it runs fine again, but when i check out the plug does not appeared to be fouled, it is a little sooty but not wet.

• Cadoewen

Posted December 29, 2007 - 02:52 PM

4 strokes dont like to idle for long. i know my 450 will puke coolant if i have it sitting at the line long enough.

• nap__kxf

Posted December 29, 2007 - 03:22 PM

it could have also been overfilled. once the coolant is above the fins theres enough coolant, atleast thats what i was told

• BC3

Posted December 29, 2007 - 03:32 PM

Check the cap....and maybe use different type coolant....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • felix4x4

Posted December 29, 2007 - 05:14 PM

Sounds like you need a new head gasket. If someone has been in there and replaced it the probly didnt torque it properly. Had the same problem with a friends 426 2years ago. Put a new head gasket in and torqued it properly never had another problem with it.

• creeky

Posted December 29, 2007 - 05:16 PM

Sounds like you need a new head gasket. .

Ummmm-hmmmm.

• Justin89

Posted December 29, 2007 - 08:50 PM

Try some ENGINE ICE that stuff works wonders...

• Mud-Ectomy

Posted December 29, 2007 - 09:18 PM

My 01 WR426 has been leaking coolant due to overheating since new. I spoke to many mechanics and including OEM folks and the all said it was normal. It is only when Idling right? Get moving and the problem goes away?

• felix4x4

Posted December 29, 2007 - 10:06 PM

get a compression tester and run the motor up to Top Dead Center and see if you have a leak. If it leaks off at a fairly quick rate you need to look at the head gasket. You can try putting a different cap on, like a 3.5 lbs insted of the 1.1. If it just blows the coolant out at an idle with that cap you can be almost certain its the head gasket.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.