Help revive YZ400...

7 replies to this topic
  • blbills

Posted December 28, 2007 - 11:26 PM

Hello all,
I have been away from riding for the past 6 months and I need some assistance. I took my YZ400 for a spin for the first time in a while and I noticed a sivere bog when I am agressive on the throttle that wasn't there before. I'm planning on going on a huge ride on monday, so I really only have saturday to address this problem and I would love some suggestions as to how to go about it.
I imagine a full carb rebuild is in order due to the gas sitting in the carb that long. I was wondering if there was a quick fix that you may suggest. The bog may also be due to the cold weather. I usually ride in the summer when the temp is much warmer. Could that be causing the bog?
Anyway any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

• SRT426

Posted December 29, 2007 - 02:27 AM

Clean out the carb, clean out the air filter and throw in some fresh gas. Rejet for current conditions since you may be a little lean with your summer jetting. Also don't forget to change the oil since the bike has been sitting. Hope that gets ya going.

• blbills

Posted December 29, 2007 - 05:30 AM

Hey thank for the tips. I'm not too familiar with the re-jetting. You say that I may need to richen it up. Which jet would that be and how big of a change do you think is in order?

Thanks

• Qwik Gixxer

Posted December 29, 2007 - 08:00 AM

Budget trick.
Try and run a little injector cleaner through your carb. Put a little in the tank with a full tank of gas. Sometimes it will clean any buildup/varnish out of the carbs. Made a difference on my Bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blbills

Posted December 30, 2007 - 10:41 AM

Well I did a complete carb rebuild with no luck. It still bogs like crazy. I was hoping that cleaning the acc pump real well would do the trick, but I didn't notice any change. I did notice that the main jet is a 170 (stock is a 175) that may be too lean for the winter time. I know nothing about proper jetting. Would buying a new main jet around a 175 fix this bog? Also what about the pilot screw? Would adjusting this have any effect on the bog. I also made a big oppse while taking the carb apart, I disconnected the tps sensor from the body of the carb. I put it back as close as possible to its original location; so I'm not sure if this is contributing to my problem aswell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Brian

• BergArabia

Posted December 30, 2007 - 11:00 AM

Budget trick.
Try and run a little injector cleaner through your carb. Put a little in the tank with a full tank of gas. Sometimes it will clean any buildup/varnish out of the carbs. Made a difference on my Bike.

Ha that is what I do.. lol..
I keep the carb and injector cleaner handy and pop some in from time to time so I won't have to open the carb. Really don't want to do that as I have 2 left thumbs.. Wish I could help you blbills...

• blbills

Posted December 31, 2007 - 06:53 PM

Hey all, I solved the bog problem!!! I broke down and bought a JD power kit for the carb and it completely fixed the problem. My bike has never run better! I just wish that I would have done this 3 years ago. Thanks for all your help.

Brian

• bigbluerider4life

Posted January 01, 2008 - 03:27 PM

Hey all, I solved the bog problem!!! I broke down and bought a JD power kit for the carb and it completely fixed the problem. My bike has never run better! I just wish that I would have done this 3 years ago. Thanks for all your help.

Brian

good choice, well worth it IMO :banghead: jetting can and will make a huge difference

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.