XR's Only Oil Temp Dipstick - am I an idiot?

27 replies to this topic
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted January 06, 2008 - 06:18 AM

Anyone tried soldering the joint?

Mine hasn't leaked, but if it does, solder might seal it for good.

• InternalCombustion

Posted January 06, 2008 - 08:32 AM

I've had mine about 3 years, no leaks. When I first got it I reset the face--per directions--and did not have any problems.

Also, I do not have any condensation problems with mine.

After I adjusted mine so it would read correctly when it was screwed in, I tested it in boiling water with a known-good thermometer, it read accurately.

Right after I installed mine I noticed it was not going above about 160 degrees, even on a warm day. I pulled the theromstat and sure nuff, it was stuck open. The oil temp dipstick paid for itself about 20 times, right then and there.

Sorry to hear others had problems with theirs.

• martinfan30

Posted January 06, 2008 - 09:11 AM

Anyone tried soldering the joint?

Mine hasn't leaked, but if it does, solder might seal it for good.

yet!!!

• Denn10

Posted January 07, 2008 - 11:20 AM

yet!!!

shutup its only the ninkompoops like you that have problems. Send em to me and ill go exchange in person AND i guarantee they wont give me some run around LOL

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted March 05, 2008 - 07:28 AM

For those of you who have leaks...

I got some brake clean and sprayed the dipstick off real well(where the post goes into the guage). Blew it out with air, the took some Toyota FIPG and put a small amount on the point where the post goes into the guage. Making sure that it went into the guage a little. Then a thin layer maybe 1/4" in dia. around the post. Hasnt leaked since.

I'm sure any high quality silicone used in SMALL amounts would work.

• Old Dog

Posted March 05, 2008 - 05:39 PM

For those of you who have leaks...

I got some brake clean and sprayed the dipstick off real well(where the post goes into the guage). Blew it out with air, the took some Toyota FIPG and put a small amount on the point where the post goes into the guage. Making sure that it went into the guage a little. Then a thin layer maybe 1/4" in dia. around the post. Hasnt leaked since.

I'm sure any high quality silicone used in SMALL amounts would work.

What's "Toyota FIPG"? (I'm Toyotilliterate). :D

I'm well versed in Fordnglish though. :ride:

The welding/soldering thing also sounds like a possible fix. :eek: :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted March 05, 2008 - 05:50 PM

What's "Toyota FIPG"? (I'm Toyotilliterate). :D

I'm well versed in Fordnglish though. :ride:

The welding/soldering thing also sounds like a possible fix. :eek: :thumbsup:

Formed In Place Gasket. Its toyotas liquid gasket material. Really good stuff. High temp., seals any surface that has to do with any liquid.

• stepho

Posted March 06, 2008 - 07:09 AM

I got my XRs only gauge to read accuratly, not fog up the display, and not leak oil. Heres a picture of the modification hope this helps.Posted Image
:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.