XR's Only Oil Temp Dipstick - am I an idiot?

27 replies to this topic
  • FoolishMortal

Posted December 28, 2007 - 09:13 PM

I bought the oil temperature dipstick. Twisting it in is fine, but I love symmetry and the numbers don't sit correctly (with the "f" at the bottom).

The instructions say to grip the needle (I assume that's the long part that sits in the oil) and twist to put the 200* at the top of the housing. However, doing that affects where the temp needle starts - as I twist the needle, it's obvious that the temp needle is attached to it and the two rotate together, defeating the purpose. I feel that I'm following the instructions, but I have to choose between having the reading skewed or having the numbers be "sideways". What am I doing wrong?

:banghead:

• Juxxtin

Posted December 28, 2007 - 09:52 PM

I thought I read that funny too. But I bought it used so I just stuck it in there and went riding. My temp has shown in the 170-190 range for 55-70 degree weather. Sounds about right though for cooler weather though.

• BeeDub

Posted December 28, 2007 - 10:45 PM

Mine seats exactly sideways too, and I'm an anal bastard as well. I figure I'll deal with it...:banghead:

• tgstoken

Posted December 28, 2007 - 11:17 PM

I have one. Uh, try turning it the other way. I think it will only spin in one direction correctly. Mine lines up perfectly, after turning and runs at about 170-200 degrees.

• GlobalWarmer

Posted December 28, 2007 - 11:59 PM

Mine leaks oil up through the gauge and out the top.

• FoolishMortal

Posted December 29, 2007 - 01:22 AM

Mine leaks oil up through the gauge and out the top.

Oh, THAT'S good news... :banghead:

I have one. Uh, try turning it the other way. I think it will only spin in one direction correctly. Mine lines up perfectly, after turning and runs at about 170-200 degrees.

God, could it be so simple? :busted:

I'll try that in the morning.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 29, 2007 - 01:31 AM

I have had two, and they both leaked oil (slightly) out through the gauge.

• BMEPdoc

Posted December 29, 2007 - 01:35 AM

I have had two, and they both leaked oil (slightly) out through the gauge.

Ditto :banghead:

• zipper600

Posted December 29, 2007 - 03:04 AM

where can i see a pic of it?is it for 600R right?

• Woodshop

Posted December 29, 2007 - 09:59 AM

I bought the oil temperature dipstick. Twisting it in is fine, but I love symmetry and the numbers don't sit correctly (with the "f" at the bottom).

The instructions say to grip the needle (I assume that's the long part that sits in the oil) and twist to put the 200* at the top of the housing. However, doing that affects where the temp needle starts - as I twist the needle, it's obvious that the temp needle is attached to it and the two rotate together, defeating the purpose. I feel that I'm following the instructions, but I have to choose between having the reading skewed or having the numbers be "sideways". What am I doing wrong?

:banghead:

Call XRs Only sure they would be glad to help

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR_RON

Posted December 29, 2007 - 10:16 AM

If you turn it it will affect the calibration,as you have said,I added a rubber washer to mine,it dont leak,and it starts off correctly,it came from a green hose,perfect fit.You can set it with a mercury thermometer to read right.

• Old Dog

Posted December 29, 2007 - 01:24 PM

I've had three, and they've all leaked. :busted: :D :D

I think it's inherent in the design because the gauge itself isn't vacuum sealed, thus letting oil out and moisture in. :banghead:

It's not the oil leaking out that bothers me, it's the fact that if it's possible to have oil leak out, then it's possible to have water and other contaminants leak in. I only use mine every once in a while when I want to "check" to see if it's running the same temperature after a mod, or when the weather changes. the rest of the time I put the stock dipstick in.

My search for a better temp dipstick continues .....

• 07XR650L

Posted December 29, 2007 - 02:36 PM

I have one of the temp dipsticks... I followed the directions for lining up the gauge and it worked fine.

"Old Dog" makes a very good point though. My gauge has never leaked oil, but the face of the gauge does collect moisture very easily. I never thought of stuff getting through the gauge face and into my oil... I may be removing my temp dipstick now.

• GlobalWarmer

Posted December 29, 2007 - 05:10 PM

I've had three, and they've all leaked. :busted: :D :D

I think it's inherent in the design because the gauge itself isn't vacuum sealed, thus letting oil out and moisture in. :banghead:

It's not the oil leaking out that bothers me, it's the fact that if it's possible to have oil leak out, then it's possible to have water and other contaminants leak in. I only use mine every once in a while when I want to "check" to see if it's running the same temperature after a mod, or when the weather changes. the rest of the time I put the stock dipstick in.

My search for a better temp dipstick continues .....

I dripped honda lock into to crack where the dipstick meets the gauge. I didn't leak oil until I hit 220 degrees if I remember right. One of these days I'm going to see if I can find something a little more hi temp.

• Motosprtman

Posted December 29, 2007 - 05:37 PM

I just screwed mine in and did not worry about the aligning of it. Most it has ever indicated was 300!!! 90 plus temps - stuck in traffic. it dropped back to 220 or so on the freeway again at 65-70MPH.

• danny v

Posted December 29, 2007 - 05:40 PM

Glad I never bought one ! I saw them but did not think one was really needed.

• martinfan30

Posted December 30, 2007 - 01:12 PM

its a good idea to keep an eye on oil temp. i just followed the directions and got it lined up perfectly. it was good for a year and now leaks oil.:banghead:

• Old Dog

Posted December 30, 2007 - 04:39 PM

I've tried sealing mine where the dipstick meets the actual gauge with everything from Hi-Temp Silicone to JB Weld and it always eventually starts leaking again. As I said previously, I think it's inherent to the design because it's made to swivel to align the gauge, this is the weak point in the design.

I've seen other gauges for other bikes (mostly HDs) that are either liquid filled or the gauge is vacuum sealed that don't have any leakage problems. Too bad they don't make them for Honda 650L's. Hmmmmmm ..... I wonder how hard it would be to adapt one of those to use on an L? :banghead:

Anyone here know the thread size of the dipstick on an L?

• Denn10

Posted January 02, 2008 - 09:26 AM

If you turn it it will affect the calibration,as you have said,I added a rubber washer to mine,it dont leak,and it starts off correctly,it came from a green hose,perfect fit.You can set it with a mercury thermometer to read right.

no it wont there made to turn so you can align, if you got one that only turns the backing with the temp numbers then either its an old one or its just plain broken. When i got mine i was easy on it while holding but everything turned just fine! needle stayed in same spot on temp in background only thing that spun was the outter housing so i got mine in perfectly straing and no leaks at all. Kinda funny im the guy who live only a few minute ride from them and mines flawless? You think they give me the good stuff and ship the 2nds out to you all LOL J/K

• frog13

Posted January 05, 2008 - 04:38 PM

I have the same stick,followed the directions and the numbers are aligned/centered------------no leaks!.During this past summer(100 deg. ambient) the gauge read 260,using 20w/50w oil.

On Dec. 24th----42 deg. ambient temp,10mph wind,gusting to 20-25mph---temp gauge read 205?????????????.

This is in the cincinnati area.--------hope this helps?.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.