Should I do it or sell it?

3 replies to this topic
  • SFDemo

Posted December 28, 2007 - 09:34 AM

Hi,
I recently won an auction on eBay for a yellow painted YZ426 frame with front and rear yellow fenders, front number plate and yellow radiator shrouds with One Industries Hurricane graphics. (Believe it or not, all that for a GREAT price, including shipping!)

The decision is this. Do I convert my blue and white 1999 WR400 street legal dual sport into a yellow dual sporter/off roader?

I have an oversize YZ IMS blue tank, and a YZ seat with blue and white graphics.

So, if I'm going to do it, I'd be looking at painting the subframe either black or yellow, replace the seat cover/seat, get tank graphics, and realistically, replace the tank with either white yellow or black, in either Clarke or IMS. I plan on leaving the white number plates and fork guards, as my baja designs headlight is white. I also already have a new set of radiator shrouds in white. My rear fender is already a MX fender with the LED BD taillight/inner fender mounted.

Are there any drawbacks/hidden items I need to be aware of if I go ahead with the 426 frame?

Will I have trouble finding One Industries graphics for the older version?

I already have two sets of rims, one off road and one street legal.

I'm open to suggestions and input.

• bicyclebob

Posted December 29, 2007 - 10:35 PM

If you didn't really want to do it you wouldn't have bought the goodies! It sounds like a sweet project for the winter. Be sure and post photos of your progress.
I would love to have a yellow WR.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rockieman

Posted December 31, 2007 - 12:17 PM

Hi,

So, if I'm going to do it, I'd be looking at painting the subframe either black or yellow, replace the seat cover/seat, get tank graphics, and realistically, replace the tank with either white yellow or black, in either Clarke or IMS. I plan on leaving the white number plates and fork guards, as my baja designs headlight is white. I also already have a new set of radiator shrouds in white. My rear fender is already a MX fender with the LED BD taillight/inner fender mounted.

Are there any drawbacks/hidden items I need to be aware of if I go ahead with the 426 frame?

Will I have trouble finding One Industries graphics for the older version?

I already have two sets of rims, one off road and one street legal.

I'm open to suggestions and input.

Here's a couple pictures of my '99 WR400, I converted my bike when I bought it new, I went the first season with the blue frame and powdercoated it black after one season. I didn't have the heart to frame it off before I rode it.
I replaced the stock seat and tank with an IMS combo and was fortunate to get a yellow tank which matched perfectly with the One Industries yellow.
The only challenge that I think you'll run into is that One quit making the plastic and the graphics for the older bikes. I replaced all my plastic and graphics about three years ago which was right about the time they discontinued our year. At that time, they had the fenders but not the shrouds (in yellow). I went with white shrouds which with the graphics you
can't tell the differnce. You may want to call One Industries (619-263-9880) to see what they might have, if I recall from my last catalog ...it seemed like '03 was the earliest year they carried prodcut for.
Good luck with your project,:banghead:

http://i14.photobuck...0F/wr400f11.jpg
http://i14.photobuck...0F/wr400f14.jpg
http://i14.photobuck...0F/wr400f12.jpg

• JMathis

Posted January 01, 2008 - 07:10 PM

Let me know if you decide to sell it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.