Mr. Header, Meet Mr. Tire...

6 replies to this topic
  • Kawabuggy

Posted December 28, 2007 - 07:55 AM

For those of you running the Big Gun Exhaust on your XR600R's-be aware that on hard landings your front tire may come into contact with your pipe!

I took my bike out to an MX track recently and was really enjoying the jumps. The landings? Not so much. Anyway, it appears that on hard landings the front forks were compressing enough that they actually allowed the front tire to contact the header. For some reason, it only made contact with the LEFT side tube on the second bend. The tube comes out of the head and makes a downward bend-1st bend-then goes for a short bit and then makes a bend to the right-2nd bend-and this is where the tire has been making contact.:busted:

I was looking at the bike trying to figure out what could have caused the rub mark on the header. After studying it for a while it occurred to me that it must have been the front tire.

New front tire + Very hard landings + After Market Exhaust=UCI (Unintentional Component Introduction).

Now I have a set of custom pipes.. That one spot where the coating is missing will soon rust-making them custom!:banghead:

• cleonard

Posted December 28, 2007 - 09:55 AM

It's not forks compressing that did it. It was the forks and the frame flexing.

• martinfan30

Posted December 28, 2007 - 10:16 AM

u have a fork brace?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted December 28, 2007 - 12:42 PM

I always said that's what the big loop in the stock pipe was for- knobby clearance!

Dave

• zerofear66

Posted December 28, 2007 - 04:39 PM

For those of you running the Big Gun Exhaust on your XR600R's-be aware that on hard landings your front tire may come into contact with your pipe!

I took my bike out to an MX track recently and was really enjoying the jumps. The landings? Not so much. Anyway, it appears that on hard landings the front forks were compressing enough that they actually allowed the front tire to contact the header. For some reason, it only made contact with the LEFT side tube on the second bend. The tube comes out of the head and makes a downward bend-1st bend-then goes for a short bit and then makes a bend to the right-2nd bend-and this is where the tire has been making contact.:D

I was looking at the bike trying to figure out what could have caused the rub mark on the header. After studying it for a while it occurred to me that it must have been the front tire.

New front tire + Very hard landings + After Market Exhaust=UCI (Unintentional Component Introduction).

Now I have a set of custom pipes.. That one spot where the coating is missing will soon rust-making them custom!:banghead:

You need one of these...
:busted:

MRD racing.....

Posted Image

• zipper600

Posted December 29, 2007 - 04:49 AM

Notice the marks on the feft header..Aftermarket headers, 2cm lowered on the clamps and HARD braking on the road and this is the result..but nothing that a new KTM SM 48mm WP and a 17" SM wheel wont solve :banghead:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• leghorn

Posted December 30, 2007 - 08:28 PM

Hey who make that MRD header that is neat
is there a web site

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.