Plastics for XR 650r

10 replies to this topic
  • ariellind

Posted December 27, 2007 - 11:27 PM

wanted to get new plastics for an XR650r Dose anyone make them in diferent colors. Wanted to go all white. I know aceribis makes some that will work but what about the side shrouds that come off the tank and the rear fender.

• scalejockey

Posted December 28, 2007 - 05:42 AM

I've never been able to find any. Iv'e thought about painting with a automotive paint with flex additive. (the stuff they use on plastic car bumpers) But the plastic must be treated first so it will stick properly.

• XRMANU

Posted December 28, 2007 - 08:02 AM

You can get XR replica plastic in red from UFO, black shrouds and rear fender from UFO via XR's only. With Euro aftermarket tanks you can use CRF shrouds in the colors that you want,you can modify older CR rear fenders ('98 or so look for it @ www.xr-italia.com ,xr650 section)to work ...or go for a complete rebuild ,look here: http://www.thumperta...ght=ultramotard

• ripemango

Posted January 03, 2008 - 06:33 AM

If you decide to go original looking....... Servicehonda.com has reasonable prices compared to after market stuff........

• Suikerland

Posted January 05, 2008 - 02:00 AM

I've never been able to find any. Iv'e thought about painting with a automotive paint with flex additive. (the stuff they use on plastic car bumpers) But the plastic must be treated first so it will stick properly.

If you're painting plastics, use Krylon Fusion. It chemically bonds to the plastic.
There other threads on this, on other sites as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scalejockey

Posted January 05, 2008 - 07:55 AM

Is it in a rattle can at a hardware store?

If so, that would be cheap and simple.

• miguelitro

Posted January 05, 2008 - 10:32 AM

yep and works great.

• dmvmechanics

Posted January 05, 2008 - 12:25 PM

did you do anything for chemical resistance on the gas tank. i'm going to paint my xrr black and my husky white.

• Suikerland

Posted January 05, 2008 - 01:24 PM

did you do anything for chemical resistance on the gas tank. i'm going to paint my xrr black and my husky white.

You mean you want to paint the tank? I'm no expert on this, but I don't think you can paint a plastic tank. The paint bubbles. Same with putting stickers on the tank. Something to do with the tank "breathing" and gasoline fumes coming through the plastic.
There might be a way to seal the tank, I'm not sure about that.

• dmvmechanics

Posted January 05, 2008 - 06:01 PM

that sucks, i want to go all black but it will look kind of goofy with a red tank.

• Black Mesa Offroad

Posted January 05, 2008 - 08:52 PM

that sucks, i want to go all black but it will look kind of goofy with a red tank.

Clarke does offer a black 4.3 tank...................

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.