About to do the DJ kit on my '07 XRL in SoCal

18 replies to this topic
  • BeeDub

Posted December 27, 2007 - 07:32 PM

Yes, I've searched, but this is mainly an update thread, unless anyone in SoCal who rides anywhere from seal level to about 7,000 feet wants to tell me I'm doing this wrong. Here's the plan:

1. Smog block off installed
2. Will de-snorkel
3. Will put a Uni filter on
4. Planning on doing the full DJ kit, and using the 160 main, stock pilot
5. Stock pipe, until I can afford a slip-on

Oh, any tips on the mixture screw setting with this plan, from guys in the same elevation/climate? Anything else I'm missing?

• bongodave

Posted December 27, 2007 - 07:41 PM

Most guys seem to think that Dave's Mods (found here on TT) is the best way to go for the carb. I'd take a look at it before buying a kit. Others are sure to reply.

• tgstoken

Posted December 27, 2007 - 07:43 PM

Why bother with the Dynojoke kit? Just do "Dave's mods", uncork, aftermarket pipe and 60/160 jetting. I ride from sea level to about 3000ft with no issues.

• BeeDub

Posted December 27, 2007 - 07:44 PM

Most guys seem to think that Dave's Mods (found here on TT) is the best way to go for the carb. I'd take a look at it before buying a kit. Others are sure to reply.

Well, I've read the debates too, and I got the kit for Christmas, so that's the way I'm going for now since it is reversible. I'd rather not have this thread turn into another debate on which is best...:banghead:

• Denn10

Posted December 27, 2007 - 10:24 PM

youll be fine with DJ kit since its in ur hands... but with stock exhaust still that main will prolly be too much. You really need full flow exhaust to make all the other stuff your doing work together. i would suggest 158 max until you get you a slip on prolly 155-158

• BeeDub

Posted December 27, 2007 - 10:59 PM

youll be fine with DJ kit since its in ur hands... but with stock exhaust still that main will prolly be too much. You really need full flow exhaust to make all the other stuff your doing work together. i would suggest 158 max until you get you a slip on prolly 155-158

Yeah, I plan on putting a slip on on there soon, but will doing this and keeping the stock exhaust actually make it run like crap, or just not as good as it could be?

• Boston Mangler

Posted December 28, 2007 - 06:59 AM

Hey There

I have run with all of the configurations that you are mentioning:

-Daves mods stock pipe
-Daves mods slip-on
-Dynojet stock pipe
-Dynojet slip-on

I wasnt all that happy with the "Daves Mods", tried every possible option and configuration of it and it was much better then stock, but still not quite there. Bike ran like ok with daves mods and stock pipe, much nicer with the slip on, but still "Not There"

The Dynojet kit (installed into another completely stock carb) was MUCH nicer then the daves mods and had a crisper throttle reponse and ran smoother all around. Dynojet kit ran OK (not great) with the stock pipe, but the slip on made all the difference in the world!

I have come to the conclusion that i just hate the stock vacuum carb! :busted:

After the new year, i will be replacing it with an Edelbrock From Barnums! :banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted December 28, 2007 - 10:25 AM

:banghead:

Yeah, I plan on putting a slip on on there soon, but will doing this and keeping the stock exhaust actually make it run like crap, or just not as good as it could be?

good advise from DUMM10.
:busted:

it wont run as good as it can untill you get exhaust.

• BeeDub

Posted December 28, 2007 - 03:06 PM

Thanks guys! And I do understand that it won't run as good as it can with the stock pipe and the DJ kit. What I'm wondering is if I'm actually going to make it run BAD by doing the kit and filter without changing the pipe? Please understand this part because it will be the last time I say it in this thread (it's embarassing), I CAN'T AFFORD A SLIP-ON RIGHT NOW! So, if it's going to make it run bad, then I won't do anything to the bike right now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BeeDub

Posted December 28, 2007 - 03:07 PM

Hey There

I have run with all of the configurations that you are mentioning:

-Daves mods stock pipe
-Daves mods slip-on
-Dynojet stock pipe
-Dynojet slip-on

I wasnt all that happy with the "Daves Mods", tried every possible option and configuration of it and it was much better then stock, but still not quite there. Bike ran like ok with daves mods and stock pipe, much nicer with the slip on, but still "Not There"

The Dynojet kit (installed into another completely stock carb) was MUCH nicer then the daves mods and had a crisper throttle reponse and ran smoother all around. Dynojet kit ran OK (not great) with the stock pipe, but the slip on made all the difference in the world!

I have come to the conclusion that i just hate the stock vacuum carb! :busted:

After the new year, i will be replacing it with an Edelbrock From Barnums! :banghead:

Does "it ran Ok" mean it ran better than stock, or okay in comparison, but not as good as stock?

• martinfan30

Posted December 28, 2007 - 03:08 PM

it shouldnt maKE IT run any worse thats for sure! oh, by the way, i am running on bald MT-21's!:banghead:

• radbrad48

Posted December 28, 2007 - 04:47 PM

Like everyone else said, not quite sure how it will run without a slip on, though it should run better. You are getting rid of the smog crap and rejetting and also using a Uni air filter, so it should breathe better. I just did everything you are doing with a FMF Q2 slip on and am very pleased. I think the 160 main may be a little steep with no slip on. Maybe try a 155. I am running a 55/160 now. Something you can try until you get a slip on is removing the baffle out of the stock pipe. My friend did it and it ran better, but sounds a little funny. Then go to a 55/158 or 55/160. But by doing that you lose your spark arrestor. Where in CA. do you live?

• BeeDub

Posted December 28, 2007 - 07:02 PM

Ok thanks guys. So, what I'm getting is that the 160 is big, but shouldn't do anything to damage the bike, and will make it run better, but not optimal. Am I right? Will it foul plugs, make the fuel mileage horrible, or anything like that? Reason for asking is I'm not going to go buy other jets for the interim. I'd rather just run it stock until such time as I can buy the slip-on.

RadBrad, I live in SoCal, by the way, inland valley.

Also, if my assumptions are correct, and I decide to do this, what is a good starting point on the mix screw? Literature says 2.5 turns out. I'm also assuming I have to remove a stopper to do this?

• Boston Mangler

Posted December 29, 2007 - 08:22 AM

Also, if my assumptions are correct, and I decide to do this, what is a good starting point on the mix screw? Literature says 2.5 turns out.

Yes, start with 2 1/4 turns OUT and adjust accordingly.

I'm also assuming I have to remove a stopper to do this?

Dremel the little aluminum dingus off of the float bowl to allow the screw to turn. Dont dremel the dingus off of the screw or it becomes a bitch to turn.

Where in So Cal are ya? I am in San Diego and can lend a hand if ya need it.

• BeeDub

Posted December 29, 2007 - 11:44 AM

Yes, start with 2 1/4 turns OUT and adjust accordingly.

Dremel the little aluminum dingus off of the float bowl to allow the screw to turn. Dont dremel the dingus off of the screw or it becomes a bitch to turn.

Where in So Cal are ya? I am in San Diego and can lend a hand if ya need it.

Cool, thanks! Oh, and my mama always told me not to talk to strangers, if she heard I invited one named the Boston Mangler into my home, she'd probably kill me herself! :busted: :D

Just kidding, thanks for the offer, but I actually live about 2 hours from San Diego...

• Smoke Eater

Posted December 30, 2007 - 08:04 AM

I have the DJ kit and run the 160 because this time of year it's really cold out like 20 to 30 degrees and I don't want to run too lean. I the summer I'll cut the jet back a bit.

• martinfan30

Posted December 30, 2007 - 01:07 PM

the 160 will be way rich with stock exhaust.. but rich is better than lean! try 158/55. 2.5 turns out, grind the tab off the bowl.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 30, 2007 - 03:03 PM

the 160 will be way rich with stock exhaust.. but rich is better than lean! try 158/55. 2.5 turns out, grind the tab off the bowl.

Did he mean a DJ 160? That's 'about' a keihin 158.

Dave

• BeeDub

Posted December 30, 2007 - 05:55 PM

Yeah, it's a DJ 160 main, using the stock pilot, uni filter, and stock exhaust, snorkel removed. It's already in, and the bike runs great, first time the front end wants to come up on me on this heavy bike! Took about 30 seconds of messing with the mixture screw to get rid of the bog, but after that it felt great. Can't wait to put a slip-on on there now!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.