650l mileage

17 replies to this topic
  • Wild Turkey

Posted December 27, 2007 - 02:32 PM

I found a 2006 650l with just under 12,000 miles for $3,600. It also comes with some aftermarket stuff. I am concerned about the high mileage, should I be? Do you think this is a good deal? Thanks

• martinfan30

Posted December 27, 2007 - 03:08 PM

I found a 2006 650l with just under 12,000 miles for $3,600. It also comes with some aftermarket stuff. I am concerned about the high mileage, should I be? Do you think this is a good deal? Thanks

what after market stuff? does he have oil/filter reciepts?

as long as the oil and filter have been done regularly, the mileage is not an issue. the price IMHO is a little high.

i'd offer 3K.

• tgstoken

Posted December 27, 2007 - 03:19 PM

For that price, the mileage should be around 3k, not 12k. Do what I did, buy an older one, in my case a '93 with 7500 miles and save your money. I only paid $1600 for mine. The year really affects nothing, other than resale value. Yup, when it comes to 650L's, buy old and save. Spend the $$$$ you saved and upgrade the sh!t out of it.

• martinfan30

Posted December 27, 2007 - 03:36 PM

good point! i do like the color scheme of the early 90's XRL's. they are pretty much unchanged since 93.

• Wild Turkey

Posted December 27, 2007 - 04:41 PM

what after market stuff? does he have oil/filter reciepts?

as long as the oil and filter have been done regularly, the mileage is not an issue. the price IMHO is a little high.

i'd offer 3K.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure about the oil changes yet, but it has aftermarket handguards, mirrors, and handlebars. It also come with a helmet and riding jacket.

• Motosprtman

Posted December 27, 2007 - 05:39 PM

12K on any machine can be alot - dependent upon how it was broke in and ridden and of course the maintenance, don't be fooled by the offering up of some accessories and riding gear, follow the advice of the earlier threads.

• Denn10

Posted December 27, 2007 - 10:28 PM

the price IMHO is a little high.

i'd offer 3K.

yes that is high for that many miles, FYI i got my 03 with 9k miles for 2300. You should offer less, get a cycle trader or whatever local motorcycle sale magazine and look for some Ls and compare the prices before offering as we west coasters can have different prices that you .

• martinfan30

Posted December 28, 2007 - 07:45 AM

ya look around a bit. you will get a better idea of how that bike is selling around your area.

• wheelnut46

Posted December 28, 2007 - 09:31 AM

12,000 is not considered a lot of miles. XRLs depreciate to about 2,500 (give or take a few hundred) and mostly stay there forever. Occasionally a really good deal arrises for a nice bike for less money. Interview the seller. That will tell you more about the bike than anything.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thesurferfightsalone

Posted December 28, 2007 - 10:44 AM

I payed $3400 for a 2004 with only 1400 miles. I think that price is way high.

• Kevbong

Posted December 28, 2007 - 10:58 AM

+1 on the high price. My old man picked up an 06 with a few hundred miles, full big gun exhaust for $4,500. Another friend found a stock 05 with 1,300 for @ $3,800.

The prices do seem to vary quite a bit depending on where your looking buy.

I'd keep looking or offer less.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted December 28, 2007 - 12:11 PM

For comparison purposes, I just bought a '94 XRL last night with 9304 miles in MINT condition for 2 grand. The plastic is even still shiny and all the factory warning labels are still there. :banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted December 28, 2007 - 12:25 PM

those are the ones to look for! the one where a guy bought it new , put only a couple hun. miles on it before he realized the thing is too big and heavy. then garaged it for a few years before the wife stated nagging on him, then he sells it!

• Wild Turkey

Posted December 28, 2007 - 12:32 PM

I really appreciate all your replies guys. I offered 3k for the bike and after some thought he said yes. I'm going on sunday to check it out. He has all the maintenance records for it too and says the oil was changed regularly. When I asked him about the high mileage he said his truck was stolen and all he had was the bike to get around with .
What else do I need to look for before I decide to purchase it? I have been looking for 5 months for one of these and all of the people seem to be wanting $3500 to $4200 for 2003 and newer bikes. :banghead:

• martinfan30

Posted December 28, 2007 - 12:36 PM

just the basics, brakes, chain and sprockets, run it and listen for any bad ticking on the right side(timing chain).

ask him if he has done the valve adjustments also.

• elrontx

Posted December 28, 2007 - 03:44 PM

I really appreciate all your replies guys. I offered 3k for the bike and after some thought he said yes. I'm going on sunday to check it out. He has all the maintenance records for it too and says the oil was changed regularly. When I asked him about the high mileage he said his truck was stolen and all he had was the bike to get around with .
What else do I need to look for before I decide to purchase it? I have been looking for 5 months for one of these and all of the people seem to be wanting $3500 to $4200 for 2003 and newer bikes. :banghead:

3 k is more reasanable. check the oil and air filter.check the front and rear wheel for play if theirs paly you need wheel bearings also chect the break pads to see what kind of shape their in. check the swingarm by the frame to see if it has play and check the tires chain and sprockets. if anything except the swingarm bearings bearings are worn still buy the bike but use this to get a better price. the swing arm bearings are a PITA. also check the tires. if the bike is tiptop 3k is fair.

• Wild Turkey

Posted December 28, 2007 - 04:29 PM

Will do, He said it has dunlop 606 tires on it, the front having around 100 miles and the rear is a bit older than that. Hopefully everything checks out. If not no biggie, I'll just keep looking.

• Itchykawa

Posted December 31, 2007 - 08:01 AM

That bike should be worth 3k if it checks out. Around here (southeast) it certainly would be.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.