Rad guards for 03 YZ450 w/IMS tank

9 replies to this topic
  • N2Roost

Posted December 27, 2007 - 02:13 AM

I've checked all the usual suspects and have not been able to locate a set of radiator guards for my 03. I have a ZipTy IMS 3.2 gal tank so they will have to work with that tank.

I'd sure like to hear from anyone with the IMS tank who had/has them and knows for sure there's something that will fit.

I'd buy a used set too if anyone out there has a set laying around.

• Metric Mark

Posted December 27, 2007 - 07:25 AM

Are you talking about the tank shroud, or the guards on the front of the radiator? Either way the stock ones will bolt right up. I just bought a set of UFO white plastics for my 04' with an IMS tank, it also bolted right on.

• tnl

Posted December 27, 2007 - 07:44 AM

I have aftermarket plastic scoops with my IMS 3.2 tank and they fit. Ditto on the above rad. plastic guards comment.

• WB450

Posted December 27, 2007 - 08:33 AM

I have a 3.1 IMS with Zip Ty rad guards on my 07, it all bolts up nice! The frist pic is with the stock tank, next 2 are the IMS.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• N2Roost

Posted December 27, 2007 - 11:10 AM

Are you talking about the tank shroud, or the guards on the front of the radiator?

Didn't know this would be confusing??? Yes we have no bannanas!

I'm talking about guards infront of the radiator. Mainly to keep a stick from poking a hole in the core. I very rarely get off at high speed so bending a radiator isn't really an issue. I've put sticks though just about everything on my bike including my boots. I've just been lucky so far and want to get something before the '08 season starts up on Jan 13th.

I saw a really nice billet set that even had a louver effect like stock. I called and the guy laughed when I said it's for a 2003. The freakin jackazz... My bike is meticulously maintained and in perfect race condition!! I was pretty butt hurt.

I've seen a homemade set and they work with the stock louvers so that's great... problem is they look homemade!

They will probably match the ugly pipe wrap I'm putting on just fine!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • N2Roost

Posted December 27, 2007 - 11:17 AM

I have a 3.1 IMS with Zip Ty rad guards on my 07, it all bolts up nice! The frist pic is with the stock tank, next 2 are the IMS.

Damn, nice looking ride. Dirtbikes are looking too good to race these days.

Those are good for crushing injuries on the track but there's no stick/roost protection... too bad considering his off road roots. Ty doesn't make them for a stealy frame bike either.

Thanks for the post.

Anybody else??????

• Birdy426

Posted December 27, 2007 - 11:31 AM

Try calling flatland. Their "normal" YZ426 guards would not work with an IMS 3.4 gal tank, but he had parts on the shelf to make 'em work.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 27, 2007 - 01:55 PM

Devol, Thumper Racing also may have these for a 03

• Metric Mark

Posted December 27, 2007 - 02:09 PM

Didn't know this would be confusing??? Yes we have no bannanas!

I'm talking about guards infront of the radiator. Mainly to keep a stick from poking a hole in the core. I very rarely get off at high speed so bending a radiator isn't really an issue. I've put sticks though just about everything on my bike including my boots. I've just been lucky so far and want to get something before the '08 season starts up on Jan 13th.

I saw a really nice billet set that even had a louver effect like stock. I called and the guy laughed when I said it's for a 2003. The freakin jackazz... My bike is meticulously maintained and in perfect race condition!! I was pretty butt hurt.

I've seen a homemade set and they work with the stock louvers so that's great... problem is they look homemade!

They will probably match the ugly pipe wrap I'm putting on just fine!

Not too confusing...I've just heard them called different things...sometimes by me! :banghead: :busted:

Posted Image

• smokin529

Posted December 27, 2007 - 07:17 PM

I had an '04 YZ450, IMS Tank and used the Devol Racing radiator guards. They worked awesome!:banghead: :busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.