Baja 1000

76 replies to this topic
  • Moredesert

Posted October 09, 2002 - 03:45 PM

Is anybody going to pre-run the Baja 1000? I'll be down in the San Ignacio area around the 18th-22nd. Pre-running the lower section.

• scb

Posted October 09, 2002 - 05:07 PM

Yo Mo-Dez,
The bikes are ready for Carson!!!
You bring the paint and ribbon, and I'll bring the fire wood.
Shawn

• Moredesert

Posted October 10, 2002 - 08:34 AM

I'm ready. I'll head down the the hardware store for some paint.

For the other guys reading this post we found a 47 mile loop in Carson City that has everything from single track to fast dirt roads. A mini Baja training course. We are going to mark the trail so we can do a night ride and not get lost.

• Mainjet2001

Posted October 11, 2002 - 02:20 PM

Moredesert....
I'm assuming you will be pitting with Honda? Who will be your racing partners?
Also what vehicles will you be in just in case I see you?

• cliffherzog

Posted October 11, 2002 - 10:12 PM

Do any of you guys know where the Honda pits will be located in the San Felipe area? I will be down in that area and am planning to get some pictures and or video of the pitting acting. Also, what time are the bikes going off from Ensenada and at about what time should the first bike be passing through the San Felipe area? Thanks Cliff

• hondasaretheshit

Posted October 12, 2002 - 09:41 AM

I AM VER INTERESTED IN THIS 47 MILE LOOP YOU FOUND. HOW DO I GET THERE AND IS THE TRAIL HARD TO FOLLOW. WHEN DO YOU PLAN ON RIDING, I WOULD LOVE TO RIDE WITH YOU. THANKS

• Mainjet2001

Posted October 12, 2002 - 02:39 PM

Herzog....
Don't know yet but E-mail me in 4 weeks and I will give you the answer.

• Serpexc

Posted October 12, 2002 - 08:18 PM

I can't take this sh-it for another 8 weeks, anyone know where I can get a bionic hand?! Have fun on the loop. I might start jogging it with one hand grip and a camelbak.

• cliffherzog

Posted October 13, 2002 - 10:29 PM

O.K. I'll try to remember to drop you a line in about that time frame. Thanks. How far down you gonna be camped? I made hotel arangements in San Felipe. Will be leaving Calexico on Wednesday and coming home on Friday.

• Kev_XR

Posted October 14, 2002 - 09:01 AM

The 47 mile loop sounds really cool.

Any chance of you guys recording the route on a GPS unit and downloading the route to us?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moredesert

Posted October 14, 2002 - 09:17 AM

I'll be racing with Shawn and Bobby Black's team. They are both fast riders so we sould do well.

Yes we are pitting with Honda. I'll be the guy riding the BRP. :) LOL

• Moredesert

Posted October 14, 2002 - 09:27 AM

We started @ Johnson Lane and if you take the poll line road until you see a orange bush :). Follow the sand whoops make a couple of turns looking for orange rocks and head to the pine nuts. We work our way down to the Radar sign. Looks like a bill board in the middle of no where. Take the drit road south and look for Orange rocks and green ribbon. When your about 32 miles into it you dump out on a dirt road make a left to the end and turn right back to Johnson lane. If you start at the poll line road its only 42 miles.

• MEBB

Posted October 14, 2002 - 09:31 AM

MainJet2001 - Bobby, Mike and I will be down South. We'll have a white Funmover motorhome and a white 1-ton GMC dually. Not sure what Mike's dad will be driving.

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted October 14, 2002 - 08:11 PM

Hows things Mike?
What section exactly you gonna ride?
Looks like my choices are either from Crucero to Ignacio or Colonia Purisima to the finish. I'm leaning toward the Crucero section as I gotta be back home Monday the 25th for work (the riding kind). I'd rather ride the finish as that section is more fun and it'll be at night, then maybe just catch a flight home. We'll see.
I'll be down there with a friend, Chuck, starting probably around the 16th.
Maybe we can hook up for a section.

Tim Morton
bajaboundmoto@abac.com

• Moredesert

Posted October 15, 2002 - 11:26 AM

Tim, That would be great. I'm riding from San Ignacio to La Purisima 132 miles then from Villa Ignacio Zaragozo to Santa Rita 110 miles.
I'll be going down with my Dad and he will be driving the truck.

I will most likely be pre-running with Bobby and we will ride from San Ignacio to La Paz so no one has to ride solo.

Keep in touch.

Mike

• Mainjet2001

Posted October 21, 2002 - 08:24 AM

Baja Bob...../ Moredesert......
Got back friday night. Drove a white box van for 4 riders and we went from Ensenada to almost La Paz.
The course will be fast and a truck may overall this one.
The silt beds will be ugly if there is no rain (they are ugly anyway).
There is a lot of livestock on the hiway in places that you don't expect them so be careful.

Tim Morton.....have not talked to you in a while. Hope all is well. I will have the gas pit after El Arco. Actually the course bypasses El Arco.
Crucero to Ignacio is the hot setup. The bay of LA road is under reconstruction (3 to 4 miles).
All the rest of the pavement is good.
E-mail me.

• Moredesert

Posted October 21, 2002 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Mainjet, I can use all the info I can get right now. Prepareing for the race and the dirve down there is a hand full.

How much was gas and how available was it? Did you get a tourst permit?

• Mainjet2001

Posted October 22, 2002 - 03:48 AM

Got a tourist Visa at Guerreo Negro at the immigration stop.
You then have to go to a mexican bank to pay for it. Costs $20.00, and be prepared to wait in the bank. I also took my passport. The wait at Guerreo Negro will be about 20 minutes to fill out the visa and they have their hands out.
You don't really need the passport but it helps.

Also be prepared to run into the military out in the boonies besides on the hiway.

Gas was plentiful but on the race week, don't pass up a chance to buy gas because some stations will run out.

• Moredesert

Posted October 22, 2002 - 08:07 AM

How much is GAS $$$ down there. I'll bring some extra gas cans

Thanks Mike

• Mainjet2001

Posted October 22, 2002 - 04:34 PM

You are not going to like this.....
This is approximately.
Updated 10-23-02
Today's prices are $5.50MXP per liter of Magna Sin and Premium is 5.90MXP.

Exchange rate at bank: 9.98 today

Exchange rate at Pemex: 9.00 any day

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.