2004 wr450 coolant leak

6 replies to this topic
  • mike96

Posted December 26, 2007 - 02:02 PM

Hi,

I have noticed cooloant leaking from the weep hole below the water pump. This only occures when the motor warms up after a while, pressure buildup?.
I immediatly though it was the water pump seal so I replaced the it with the bearing, oil seal and the impellor shaft. still leaks....I though I did a good job doing this work. any other advise before I tear it apart again?

Mike

• Solo

Posted December 26, 2007 - 11:19 PM

Still coming from the same place. Take it apart and inspect the seals & the shaft. The part numbers on the seals go IN. Did you put it in backwards?

• ncampion

Posted December 28, 2007 - 06:10 PM

Water pump seal, do it again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MojaveThumper

Posted December 29, 2007 - 05:36 AM

Have this happening on my 06 450 as well. The wacked part is it only does it in the winter and not all the time. Was thinking the samething, waterpump. The bike doesn't have that many hours on it or miles for that matter for a waterpump to be going out. Would be one thing if it was "pissin" coolant but this is only on occasion. Am wondering if it is a thermal thing. Once it is warmed up, there is no more leaking.

Thinking there has to be another reason for this.

• Solo

Posted December 29, 2007 - 09:34 PM

Have this happening on my 06 450 as well. The wacked part is it only does it in the winter and not all the time. Was thinking the samething, waterpump. The bike doesn't have that many hours on it or miles for that matter for a waterpump to be going out. Would be one thing if it was "pissin" coolant but this is only on occasion. Am wondering if it is a thermal thing. Once it is warmed up, there is no more leaking.

Thinking there has to be another reason for this.

That's how mine started. Got progressively worse. It's a cheap fix and can be done in a few hours. It's just a seal and side cover gasket at minimum. Add the shaft and oil seal to make it a complete repair.

• MojaveThumper

Posted December 30, 2007 - 05:00 PM

Yeah, seems to be some sort of epidemic right now. Went in the moto-store for some new gear and asked for these parts. The guy behind the counter just looked at me in disbelief and then said, "you are the second guy today and the 4th this weekend to ask for the same parts for the same type bike".

HMMMMMM????????

And of course they were out of stock but could have it to me by Friday. Nice, real nice.

• MojaveThumper

Posted January 10, 2008 - 05:08 PM

Yeah I am about elbow deep in it right now. MAN, gotta drain the oil and EVERYTHING. I know WHAAAAAAAAA..... But hey, whatelse ya got to do in the middle of the SOCAL desert?????:banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.