Use 04 Triple Clamps on 06?

7 replies to this topic
  • crfrookie

Posted December 25, 2007 - 09:35 PM

Not sure which is the better way to go and any advise would be appreciated. I have a lowered set of 04 forks along with the triple clamps. I am going to put the 04 lowered forks on an 06 yf450f for ice racing this year. With the triple clamps difference from 04 to 06 would it be better to shim the 04 forks in the 06 triple clamps or just put the 04 triple clamps on the 06 bike and not worry about shiming the difference? Thoughts?? Also if I do shim, is it 1mm on each side or just the brake side? Thank you.

• grayracer513

Posted December 26, 2007 - 12:44 AM

Adding 1 mm on the brake side will do it. The axle will simply draw in 1 mm farther on the off side.

• crfrookie

Posted December 30, 2007 - 11:18 AM

Not the greatest at math, How many thousandths to 1mm? 1mm = ??0.000 Thank you.

• SPLATT

Posted December 30, 2007 - 01:18 PM

Not the greatest at math, How many thousandths to 1mm? 1mm = ??0.000 Thank you.

1mm is about 0.040 from what I remember from my engine building days.

Steve

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crfrookie

Posted December 31, 2007 - 07:42 PM

Well I put the wheel on with no spacer and it had alot of drag on the brake caliper. I then took the wheel back off and tried to find a spacer for the axle. With no luck in the garage I tried something different. I put a 2mm washer inbetween the brake caliper and its mount on the fork. The wheel now spins with no drag on the brake. Will this be alright or should I get a spacer for the axle?

• SPLATT

Posted January 01, 2008 - 05:59 PM

Well I put the wheel on with no spacer and it had alot of drag on the brake caliper. I then took the wheel back off and tried to find a spacer for the axle. With no luck in the garage I tried something different. I put a 2mm washer inbetween the brake caliper and its mount on the fork. The wheel now spins with no drag on the brake. Will this be alright or should I get a spacer for the axle?

I don't see where it would be a problem.

Steve

• grayracer513

Posted January 01, 2008 - 07:25 PM

The issue, other than the brakes, is whether the rim is centered in the fork.

• SPLATT

Posted January 02, 2008 - 05:19 PM

The issue, other than the brakes, is whether the rim is centered in the fork.

Except maybe that.

Steve

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.