At the risk of sounding like an idiot..

33 replies to this topic
  • Richie B

Posted December 25, 2007 - 07:27 PM

So, I was talking with my brother and dad about this and they really couldn't give me an answer. Considering that the XR650R/L engines are relativly similar, with similar bores/strokes.. I was wondering.. Would you ever be able to take an aircooled L head/cylinder and put it onto an R? Could you ever convert an L to watercooled by doing the opposite? I don't know, this probably sounds really dumb.. but who else am I gunna ask? Thanks for any/all answers.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 25, 2007 - 07:39 PM

So, I was talking with my brother and dad about this and they really couldn't give me an answer. Considering that the XR650R/L engines are relativly similar, with similar bores/strokes.. I was wondering.. Would you ever be able to take an aircooled L head/cylinder and put it onto an R? Could you ever convert an L to watercooled by doing the opposite? I don't know, this probably sounds really dumb.. but who else am I gunna ask? Thanks for any/all answers.

Um, the real question is why would you want to? The bikes have completely different purposes.
The XRR and XRL motors have very little in common, and have almost no interchangable parts (that matter).

• Richie B

Posted December 25, 2007 - 08:01 PM

Um, the real question is why would you want to? The bikes have completely different purposes.
The XRR and XRL motors have very little in common, and have almost no interchangable parts (that matter).

Why would you want to? I really don't know.. people do some crazy things though. I was just wondering if you could.

• hill5150

Posted December 25, 2007 - 08:55 PM

The readers digest version......ummmmmm. no on all accounts...It would be pointless...............:banghead:

• off_road_4_me

Posted December 25, 2007 - 08:58 PM

the 650l motor shares more in common with the old 600 the the 650r.
if by a chance in hell it would work you would have to figure out plumbing for the rads and everything.

• Rockjockey

Posted December 26, 2007 - 05:43 AM

There is no water pump on the 650L lower end.

• XRMANU

Posted December 26, 2007 - 06:09 AM

There is no water pump on the 650L lower end.

That's a detail... :busted: :banghead:

• BWB63

Posted December 26, 2007 - 06:43 PM

Putting a XR650R engine in a lighter XL650L frame would be a better question. Getting rid of all the XL650L stuff that adds 50 pounds of weight and then you might be somewhere.

• martinfan30

Posted December 27, 2007 - 08:06 AM

i would say no....:banghead:

• Denn10

Posted December 27, 2007 - 08:10 AM

i would say no....:banghead:

ya think LOL

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • exaresix

Posted December 27, 2007 - 05:22 PM

Answering this young lad's question reminds me of being in junior high school. You ask the teacher a legitimate question, and you get a sarcastic response that does not answer the question. Let me be the first one to say: I don't know! But it is an interesting thing to consider. To answer this legitimately, you must know whether the bolt pattern matches up and whether the stroke is the same. I don't know the answer, and no one here answered that.

• BBA

Posted December 27, 2007 - 06:32 PM

Answering this young lad's question reminds me of being in junior high school. You ask the teacher a legitimate question, and you get a sarcastic response that does not answer the question. Let me be the first one to say: I don't know! But it is an interesting thing to consider. To answer this legitimately, you must know whether the bolt pattern matches up and whether the stroke is the same. I don't know the answer, and no one here answered that.

Im with ya Exaresix. When I was wet behind the ears I would dream up all kind of mechanical concoctions . Hell I still do that now and Im in my mid thirties!! I think it's a great question Richie B, I like your thinking though the answer is NO it will not work. But you know , would it not be great to prove all of us wrong and make it work? Where theres a will theres a way!!:banghead:

• BWB63

Posted December 27, 2007 - 11:34 PM

It was answered and it was answered right. Has nothing to do with the bolt pattern or stroke. There is not a water pump on the XL air cooled engine, there is no air cooling for the water cooled head of the XR. The XR650R engine is ten pounds lighter, with a different angle stroke then the XL650L engine. The XL engine is like the XR600 engine and they share some parts. But, the XL650L does have a ten pound lighter frame then the Aluminum XR650R frame and can be welded much easier. So if you were looking for more power for a worn out XL650L and had a good XR650R engine, wanted to go SM or Dual sport, (liked to keep the plate) didn't mind going to kick start only. Welding some tabs for the radiators and fabbing the frame to fit the XR650R engine, could get rid of the battery, and all the other stuff that is not needed, then this might be an interesting thing to consider but, some gave answers to a question, as you say is a legitimate question, then you said you didn't even know the answer. It is not a legitimate question, and I know the answer. It is a question, but, not one that was thought through, before asking. There were some holding back from laughing by some and some that took the question serious, as I tried. Looking at the facts, I was suprised this guestion was answered so nicely.

• Suikerland

Posted December 28, 2007 - 11:17 AM

could i cut another hole in my crankcase, put in another head, and turn my 650R into a V twin?

• Maximus86

Posted December 28, 2007 - 11:39 AM

i think a better question would be

can you stick a XR650R engine in a CRF450

• Suikerland

Posted December 28, 2007 - 11:42 AM

If you do it I'll buy one.

• martinfan30

Posted December 28, 2007 - 12:27 PM

i think a better question would be

can you stick a XR650R engine in a CRF450

there was a thread awhile ago on this. i think the conclusion was it wouldnt fit. too tall.

• exaresix

Posted December 28, 2007 - 03:57 PM

It was answered and it was answered right. Has nothing to do with the bolt pattern or stroke. There is not a water pump on the XL air cooled engine, there is no air cooling for the water cooled head of the XR. The XR650R engine is ten pounds lighter, with a different angle stroke then the XL650L engine. The XL engine is like the XR600 engine and they share some parts. But, the XL650L does have a ten pound lighter frame then the Aluminum XR650R frame and can be welded much easier. So if you were looking for more power for a worn out XL650L and had a good XR650R engine, wanted to go SM or Dual sport, (liked to keep the plate) didn't mind going to kick start only. Welding some tabs for the radiators and fabbing the frame to fit the XR650R engine, could get rid of the battery, and all the other stuff that is not needed, then this might be an interesting thing to consider but, some gave answers to a question, as you say is a legitimate question, then you said you didn't even know the answer. It is not a legitimate question, and I know the answer. It is a question, but, not one that was thought through, before asking. There were some holding back from laughing by some and some that took the question serious, as I tried. Looking at the facts, I was suprised this guestion was answered so nicely.

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but the water cooling issue has nothing to do with the questions the kid asked. It has already been stated in a previous post that the bottom end is not water-cooled on either bike. In theory, the water cooling system could be transfered with the cylinder...yes, I know, the pump would be a complicating factor, but theoretically possible. If an electric starter can be engineered for the 650r then I dare say a water-pump can. Putting an air cooled set-up on the R would be easier. The stroke angle is a also a non-issue. Though you are unwilling to accept it, the bolt pattern and the stroke length are the primary issues. Stroke length is a function of the crankshaft, and this in turn has to match up with the cylinder height. This is not a difficult concept. And I am also sorry to disagree with you that this is not an interesting and legitimate question, and one you are sadly unwilling to answer because I suspect that you, like myself, do not know if the bolt pattern will match up. Here's why it may be interesting: why not try an air-cooled cylinder in a xr650r? Here in AZ, when it gets hot the water-cooled bikes can have a tendency to boil over their radiators. Maybe someone might be interested in shedding further weight on their 650 by losing the water cooling? Or maybe someone might want to soup up their xr650L in a higher performance mode and want water cooling. Or maybe someone might be just trying to build something from a bunch of parts. Why not just answer the kid's question as to whether it "can" be done rather than wax on about how absurd the thought is?

• BBA

Posted December 28, 2007 - 07:43 PM

Their making Phones the size of credit cards, You can ride a huge Hydrogen powered BottleRocket into space (if your smart enough & the Lucky few) so why would you steal the guys sunshine when he is thinking out of the box and wondering about different things to do than most of the "norm" on here? Hell, half the inventions today including motorcycles would not exist if people let others change their mind set by ridicule and laughing at their ideas. Why would anyone want to put an R head on an L bottom end or vica-versa you ask? Who knows but I look at it in the same way as getting on my motorcycle and going riding? Because I can!!:banghead:

• BWB63

Posted December 28, 2007 - 09:53 PM

Their making Phones the size of credit cards, You can ride a huge Hydrogen powered BottleRocket into space (if your smart enough & the Lucky few) so why would you steal the guys sunshine when he is thinking out of the box and wondering about different things to do than most of the "norm" on here? Hell, half the inventions today including motorcycles would not exist if people let others change their mind set by ridicule and laughing at their ideas. Why would anyone want to put an R head on an L bottom end or vica-versa you ask? Who knows but I look at it in the same way as getting on my motorcycle and going riding? Because I can!!:banghead:

Well, lets see it!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.