Dr.D pipe

185 replies to this topic
  • revolution01

Posted February 06, 2008 - 12:45 PM

Thinking about a Dr.D for my 03 WR450, needs to be 96db or less and still pull like a train, or there is the DMC with the quiet insert, the pipe I am running now is a White Brothers E-Series with tapered header and about 10 discs, its starting to get on my nerves with the noise but if I remove some discs to quieten it down the power falls right off.....even when I rejet to suit.

What do you guys think I should do ? either way its going to be an exhaust from your side of the pond.

I dont want to hurt the power though so please dont recommend a pipe that will strangle the performance.

Thanks Guys....:busted:

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted February 06, 2008 - 05:58 PM

Thinking about a Dr.D for my 03 WR450, needs to be 96db or less and still pull like a train, or there is the DMC with the quiet insert, the pipe I am running now is a White Brothers E-Series with tapered header and about 10 discs, its starting to get on my nerves with the noise but if I remove some discs to quieten it down the power falls right off.....even when I rejet to suit.

What do you guys think I should do ? either way its going to be an exhaust from your side of the pond.

I dont want to hurt the power though so please dont recommend a pipe that will strangle the performance.

Thanks Guys....:busted:

Hi revolution01.

I have run my DrD exhaust with and without the silent insert. It is loud but not obnoxious without the insert but with the spark arrestor. It is much quieter with the insert and spark arresstor...I did not have a decibel meter to measure it but I believe it would easily fall under 96dB.

My seat-of-the-pants impression...the insert does cut down power but I only noticed it in the upper part of the RPM range. I didn't notice any real difference in the lower and mid-range. My impressions are based on a limited amount of seat time with and without the insert.

I choose to run without the insert (but with a spark arrestor in place)because sound levels are not really bad at all.

I have a buddy with a new FMF Titanium muffler and without the spark arrestor it is very loud...with the SA only the FMF is louder than my DrD with the SA...and finally, with the SA and quite insert the FMF is about the same as my DrD with only the SA.

-Jay

• chevytrkn1

Posted February 07, 2008 - 08:34 PM

I emailed Dubach asking them about the header pipe interference with the oil filter bolt. got a return email back today that they knew loosening the header pipe to change oil was going to be required.

retarded i wont be buying one

• dirtysouth

Posted February 10, 2008 - 09:25 AM

It's petty, and DRD does not owe anybody a new bend header FOC. He tests more than anybody else, and has produced the best pipe out there for these bikes Period.

Petty may be what it is. My personal thesaurus allows, and most of the time requires me to use the word bitck (spellchecker doesn't work) instead, which is still what this situation is. $700 is a load of dough and spending it on 1+ feet of bent pipe is absurd unless one is confident that the designer has figured out a way to make my bike more fun not more difficult to maintain, depending on the mod. If I KNOW that changing the oil filter is gonna be a hassle then I can blame myself for spending the money if I become unhappy. But discovering something like after dropping the big duckets on a pipe makes me question whether or not my purchase was a worthy one. I personally feel like the maintenance waiting room is full enough on my bike. Adding steps is exactly what I would like to avoid. I just expect for that kind of money that a manufacturer should be making me aware of these kind of issues. I mean, has anyone asked how many times these exhaust bolts can be turned before fatigue becomes a factor? What about the guy who has a bolt or stud drop 20 miles out in the boondocks and has to limp back? Just things like this that $700 bucks is supposed to have already addressed...Don't want anything FOC other than a little FYI:p He does test more than anyone else out there according to you:confused:

• grunkthump

Posted February 12, 2008 - 06:05 AM

If you change your oil filter every 3rd or 4th change it is really not that big of deal...and you don't need to be doing it any more than that from everything I have read.

• ThompsonV311

Posted February 19, 2008 - 06:44 PM

Petty may be what it is. My personal thesaurus allows, and most of the time requires me to use the word bitck (spellchecker doesn't work) instead, which is still what this situation is. $700 is a load of dough and spending it on 1+ feet of bent pipe is absurd unless one is confident that the designer has figured out a way to make my bike more fun not more difficult to maintain, depending on the mod. If I KNOW that changing the oil filter is gonna be a hassle then I can blame myself for spending the money if I become unhappy. But discovering something like after dropping the big duckets on a pipe makes me question whether or not my purchase was a worthy one. I personally feel like the maintenance waiting room is full enough on my bike. Adding steps is exactly what I would like to avoid. I just expect for that kind of money that a manufacturer should be making me aware of these kind of issues. I mean, has anyone asked how many times these exhaust bolts can be turned before fatigue becomes a factor? What about the guy who has a bolt or stud drop 20 miles out in the boondocks and has to limp back? Just things like this that $700 bucks is supposed to have already addressed...Don't want anything FOC other than a little FYI:p He does test more than anyone else out there according to you:confused:

If you pay $700 you got bent over. The full system sells for well under $500. Go ahead and question the integrity of the exhaust bolts and how many times they can be tightened. If you are worth a salt in mechanics you are using a torque wrench so as not to over tighten them anyways. Go ahead and cry about not being told that you must loosen the 2 measley bolts to change the oil. Does it bother you that you must drain the oil from more than one hole as well? By the way I said Doug personally tests his products. How many of his competitors do you think have the owner of the company actually riding, bending, and fabricating their products instead of just phoning it in from the corporate jet. You got your FYI. They stated why the bend had to cross the top bolt, and if it makes a better pipe who cares. life's too short go ride!

• ThompsonV311

Posted February 19, 2008 - 06:51 PM

Desert,
You have a right to your opinion. I never said he should come on here. I also never said he should apologize. I did however say he should have made this issue known to his customers. Hopefully he doesn't have the same attitude towards his customers as you do. If he does, he won't be in business long. I don't care how good the product is. The clearance thing is a minor issue but, it is an issue. Obviously more of an issue than you seem to think. Just read the thread, these are his customers that have either already bought the pipe or were planning to buy one. I don't think anyone said it wasn't a great product. You can't please everyone but, you can make things clear. Dr. D failed to make things clear and is failing to address the issue. All anyone needs is an explantion and to prevent this type of problem in the future, they just need to put a disclaimer on the box or order form (preferably on the order form or pipe discription, to save shipping costs to the few that would return the pipe because of the issue). It's just good customer service and will save headaches down the road. Again I am speaking from experience not from emotion (as you seem to be). I like my pipe and I will deal with it, if for some reason it bothers me I will find a way to make it easier. If you can't handle a little constructive critisizm you probably shouldn't be in business.

My business has been quite successful since it opened in 1997. Thank you for your concern though.

• dirtysouth

Posted February 19, 2008 - 09:04 PM

If you pay $700 you got bent over. The full system sells for well under $500. Go ahead and question the integrity of the exhaust bolts and how many times they can be tightened. If you are worth a salt in mechanics you are using a torque wrench so as not to over tighten them anyways. Go ahead and cry about not being told that you must loosen the 2 measley bolts to change the oil. Does it bother you that you must drain the oil from more than one hole as well? By the way I said Doug personally tests his products. How many of his competitors do you think have the owner of the company actually riding, bending, and fabricating their products instead of just phoning it in from the corporate jet. You got your FYI. They stated why the bend had to cross the top bolt, and if it makes a better pipe who cares. life's too short go ride!

There is merit to everything that has been said...all that I think we make note of is centered around what was NOT said.:applause: :)

• gimple393

Posted March 15, 2008 - 04:35 PM

okay Dr.D wr people. I have a question. I have a 06 wr450. I was in the market to put an exhaust on it and after alot of reading on here I ordered the dr.d full system from a local shop. I took off the old pipe and started to install the dr.d. in the instructions it stated to use the wr kit when installing onto a 06 wr. but there was no other parts. :confused: so i tried to install it anyway knowing i was probably screwed. sure enough. gap between pipe and header. not ever touching let alone one sliding into the other. needless to say i was pissed. called the place i ordered it from and he said there was a hardware kit that he had to order from yamaha. but its back ordered. i asked waht it had and he said just some hardware and grommets? this sound right?
so my question is, what did the others who have 06's have to do? is it possible that I have the wrong pipe?

• KickInTex

Posted March 15, 2008 - 07:09 PM

Sonds like you may have the wrong pipe, as they should slid into each other by about 2" or so. I have installed this system on both my 2004 and 2007 WR450F's and have needed no additional parts. The systems fit like a glove. What part number system did you recieve?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JAYBIRDNLV

Posted March 16, 2008 - 06:28 AM

Sounds like you got the wrong pipe/ header. I just put one on my 06 WR450 in january, and it slipped right on and into each other.Got mine from Quality Smart, don't remember the part number. Good Luck. PS I did all the free mods and rejetted per GYTR specs and my bike ROCKS!!!! Just a little more fine tuning needed.

• gimple393

Posted March 16, 2008 - 09:51 AM

it says the part # is 7020.

• Johnny34

Posted March 16, 2008 - 05:23 PM

I am looking at either getting a DR.D slip on for my WR450 or a FMF Powercore, which one is the best, and or which DR.D should I get. Sound is not much of a issue, I really do need a spark arrestor though.

I beg to differ good sir, sound is always an issue when riding public lands. It may not be for you, but it is for everyone else that can hear you.

• stew68

Posted March 16, 2008 - 06:42 PM

i run the fmf megbomb header and the q4 on 07 wr450 power is great especially on bottom end it is not loud at all but sounds great.:confused:

• chevytrkn1

Posted March 17, 2008 - 07:12 AM

I bit the bullet and ordered the complete dr.d setup from quality smart. fit,finish, excellent. looks tight on oil filter bolt might have to do the stud thing. louder than i expected but got the quite core insert if needed.
runs strong

• KickInTex

Posted March 26, 2008 - 08:37 PM

it says the part # is 7020.

The 7020 will not fit your 06 WR, as it is made for the 06 and up aluminum framed model YZ's:thumbsdn: and 07 and up WR's

• pcmech2

Posted March 26, 2008 - 09:44 PM

ok i am not trying to piss anyone off.... but i just got a leo vince slip on (sleeper) and its quieter than stock, made in italy from the 2nd oldest m/c company and 5 more hp??? rocks. quality top notch, www.leovinceusa.com they are a sleeper here on thumpertalk....

• beezer

Posted March 27, 2008 - 05:38 AM

The only problem with a slip-on is that the WR header pipe is much smaller than a YZ. Leo Vince makes really nice stuff though.

• MaxPower

Posted March 27, 2008 - 02:44 PM

The only problem with a slip-on is that the WR header pipe is much smaller than a YZ. Leo Vince makes really nice stuff though.

[COLOR="Green"]smaller how?
Length or diameter?[/COLOR]

• the ben

Posted March 27, 2008 - 03:26 PM

I was all over the forum looking for exhaust... Got the Dr D.. what nice sound and power delivery.. I am curently running a 2 moto snow bike conversion and it made all the difference... that and still perfecting the jetting for snow?? I can;t wait to see what it is like with tires on it!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.