Dr.D pipe

185 replies to this topic
  • dirtysouth

Posted January 29, 2008 - 08:07 PM

I'm with Jay on this. I tried to gain oil filter clearance and there is no way it's going to happen. I am an experienced "wrench" and fabricator. My plan is to just install a stud and nut on my first oil change. If it ever stops raining I will get my second ride in and then change the oil. A stud and nut will only cost a couple bucks.

I love how the pipe fits and that it doesn't stick out the back very far, that alone is worth dealing with the oil filter clearance issue. The pipe sounds, looks, and works great. I won't be changing, that's for sure.

I do think they could throw a stud and nut in the package though.

Sounds like a sure enough winner as long as she snugs up:applause:

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 30, 2008 - 04:48 AM

OK...DrD has responded to my e-mail inquiry:

Here's my e-mail message:
"Comments: I sent this same message to the Technical folks at Dubach Racing but never received a response. I purchased the DrD stainless steal header w/ aluminum muffler for my 2007 Yamaha WR450F. The fit and finish are great and the system works great on my bike. The problem is the bend in the header pipe cover the top bolt on the oil filter cover making removal impossible without at least loosening the entire exhaust system. The DrD header shape turns a simple oil and filter change into a much more complicated process since I now have to loosen the exhaust system in order to perform this frequent service task. I'm looking for some feedback from Dubach Racing addressing this issue. I tried repeatedly during installation to position the header to allow clearance but when the system is positioned and the bolts are torqued down...I could not make the header clear access to the bolt. Thank you for you timely response.
-Jay Pool"

And here is Dubach's official response:
Jay,

Unfortunately that is something you will run across with the YZ450F complete system. You do not have to completely remove the head pipe but you do have to loosen the bolts on the head pipe. Let me know if you have any question.

Thank you,
Lindsay Ferralotta
Sales Department
Dubach Racing Development
2038 Second St.
Norco, CA 92860
PH: 951-808-1114
Toll Free: 877-DUBACH1 (3822241)
Fax: 951-808-1116
WWW.DUBACHRACING.COM

Translation: You're S.O.L.:worthy: Buyer beware...If you purchase this excellent system know that you will have to either modify the top oil filter bolt by converting it to as stud and nut system or, you will have to loosen the exhaust system in order to swing the header pipe out of the way to access the top oil filter bolt.
IMO...this is a pain in the ass and a definite advantage to other aftermarket exhaust manufacturers against the DrD system. I really like my DrD system and I don't feel as though I've been ripped off...but I do feel Dubach Racing knew this would be an issue and deliberately chose to remain silent.
It certainly gives me something to think about the next time I decide to spend money on the Blue Beasty.

DrD...I give you a "D" for this.:busted:

-Jay

• clark4131

Posted January 30, 2008 - 06:06 AM

Luckily for me, I started off with a complete FMF system with a PowerBomb SX header. I then added the Dr. D can to it so I get the best of both worlds. My advice for folks looking to get the Dr. D in the future is to go this route, or a similar one. Forego the Dr. D header and just get the can...SC

• dirtysouth

Posted January 30, 2008 - 06:07 AM

OK...DrD has responded to my e-mail inquiry:

Here's my e-mail message:
"Comments: I sent this same message to the Technical folks at Dubach Racing but never received a response. I purchased the DrD stainless steal header w/ aluminum muffler for my 2007 Yamaha WR450F. The fit and finish are great and the system works great on my bike. The problem is the bend in the header pipe cover the top bolt on the oil filter cover making removal impossible without at least loosening the entire exhaust system. The DrD header shape turns a simple oil and filter change into a much more complicated process since I now have to loosen the exhaust system in order to perform this frequent service task. I'm looking for some feedback from Dubach Racing addressing this issue. I tried repeatedly during installation to position the header to allow clearance but when the system is positioned and the bolts are torqued down...I could not make the header clear access to the bolt. Thank you for you timely response.
-Jay Pool"

And here is Dubach's official response:
Jay,

Unfortunately that is something you will run across with the YZ450F complete system. You do not have to completely remove the head pipe but you do have to loosen the bolts on the head pipe. Let me know if you have any question.

Thank you,
Lindsay Ferralotta
Sales Department
Dubach Racing Development
2038 Second St.
Norco, CA 92860
PH: 951-808-1114
Toll Free: 877-DUBACH1 (3822241)
Fax: 951-808-1116
WWW.DUBACHRACING.COM

Translation: You're S.O.L.:ride: Buyer beware...If you purchase this excellent system know that you will have to either modify the top oil filter bolt by converting it to as stud and nut system or, you will have to loosen the exhaust system in order to swing the header pipe out of the way to access the top oil filter bolt.
IMO...this is a pain in the ass and a definite advantage to other aftermarket exhaust manufacturers against the DrD system. I really like my DrD system and I don't feel as though I've been ripped off...but I do feel Dubach Racing knew this would be an issue and deliberately chose to remain silent.
It certainly gives me something to think about the next time I decide to spend money on the Blue Beasty.

DrD...I give you a "D" for this.:busted:

-Jay

I am going to have to agree with Jay. I am no professional test rider for Yamaha and I have not had the luxury of testing proposed designs for performance components on Yamahas. I am simply a consumer who likes to conduct regular maintenance on my bike in order to keep it running well. Therefore, I would expect a respectable business that has professionally tested equipment such as this to inform me of potential installation complications before I drop $700 on their product. All reviews that I have read about these pipes regarding performance has been good but an issue such as this really damages Dubachs image in my eyes. I am not affiliated with Dubach racings business decisions but if I were I would certainly suggest that, given the feedback from the market and the cost associated with this product, I could include a TESTED and SIZED aluminum stud bolt and nut for respective applications at a minimum.

DrD...I give you a "D" for this.:worthy:

• Island Boy

Posted January 30, 2008 - 06:08 AM

"Unfortunately that is something you will run across with the YZ450F complete system."

yeah well, unfortunately thats why no one is gonna buy your full exhaust going forward!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if Doug Dubach was copied on that email message from his sales department. I think this issue, the delay of and the actual response itself is going to SERIOUSLY hurt future sales of full exhaust systems to WR owners.

Doug should have responded himself just like James Dean of JD Jetting does when there are major concerns.

I can tell you that the full 06 YZ450 Dr. D system (with the older "D" shaped can) has no clearance issue with the oil filter on the 07 or 08 WR450. If anyone still wants an exhaust from Dr. D with no oil filter hassle, that's the one to go with. I can also tell you that this pipe absolutely rips, so much so that you'd better wear a condom on your first ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 30, 2008 - 02:10 PM

Luckily for me, I started off with a complete FMF system with a PowerBomb SX header. I then added the Dr. D can to it so I get the best of both worlds. My advice for folks looking to get the Dr. D in the future is to go this route, or a similar one. Forego the Dr. D header and just get the can...SC

+1 SC. I agree.

Perhaps you can send a follow-up message to Dubach Racing with the link for this thread...again. I'm not sure it will help...but I know it won't hurt. I can see where this problem could be used by Dubach's competition to sell against them.

-Jay

• RedBull420

Posted January 30, 2008 - 02:14 PM

Couple questions:

1) Does Quality Smart sell can only?
2) Will the can only fit onto the stock header

TIA

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 30, 2008 - 02:16 PM

I am simply a consumer who likes to conduct regular maintenance on my bike in order to keep it running well. Therefore, I would expect a respectable business that has professionally tested equipment such as this to inform me of potential installation complications before I drop $700 on their product.

+1 dirtysouth. It irked me that DrD has not issued any commentary or a cautionary note about the header pipe application on the WR related to the oil filter access.

Doug should have responded himself just like James Dean of JD Jetting does when there are major concerns.

+1 Island Boy. I agree. I would appreciate a comment by Doug Dubach regarding this issue.

-Jay

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 30, 2008 - 02:24 PM

Couple questions:

1) Does Quality Smart sell can only?
2) Will the can only fit onto the stock header

TIA

Hi RedBull.

Quality Smart sells the muffler only for the YZ450F. They sell the system only for the WR450F. Of course...you can also buy the full system for the YZ450F.

The stock header on the '07 WR450F is a smaller diameter than the YZ header. You may be able to get the muffler only for the stock header...but not from QS or Dubach Racing.

-Jay

• RedBull420

Posted January 30, 2008 - 02:29 PM

Thx Jay.

Am i on glue or does it just seem luck of the draw with the fitment on the 07/08 WR's?
Meaning that most people do not have problems accessing the top oil bolt & a lower percentage do have problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 30, 2008 - 02:45 PM

Thx Jay.

Am i on glue or does it just seem luck of the draw with the fitment on the 07/08 WR's?
Meaning that most people do not have problems accessing the top oil bolt & a lower percentage do have problems.

Hi RedBull.

:busted: I dunno exactly. It is clear to me that with the Stainless header on my '07 WR450 it will not clear the bolt. Is the Ti header for the same application shaped differently? Again...I don't know. Did Dubach Racing change the shape of the header pipe recently and drop the "older" design from their price books? Meaning the new header design is the one causing the access problems...once again, I dunno.:worthy:

I'm curious/hopefull that Doug Dubach will decide to address his customers concerns and offer possible solutions/resolutions. I have a suggested resolution right here:
If Dubach racing tools a new bend for WR's that clears the oil filter bolt, those of us with the current header bend that does not clear the bolt can have a replacement header shipped to us FOC.
Now that would be a huge positive statement of support for their customer base.

-Jay

• clark4131

Posted January 30, 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hi RedBull.

Quality Smart sells the muffler only for the YZ450F. They sell the system only for the WR450F. Of course...you can also buy the full system for the YZ450F.

The stock header on the '07 WR450F is a smaller diameter than the YZ header. You may be able to get the muffler only for the stock header...but not from QS or Dubach Racing.

-Jay

That's a bummer. When I bought mine from QS, I only bought the can, but I have an '05. It would appear things have changed...SC

• ThompsonV311

Posted February 02, 2008 - 11:54 AM

You guys are really making too big a deal out of this. It only takes a minute to loosen the bolt and nut that fasten the headpipe to the head. This pipe is well worth the small inconvenience of loosening 2 extra bolts. You don't hear anybody whining about having to remove the 2 seat bolts and seat to get to the top bolt on the radiator shrouds. It's petty, and DRD does not owe anybody a new bend header FOC. He tests more than anybody else, and has produced the best pipe out there for these bikes Period. Go ahead buy the other brand pipes, but you will be losing out in the end. And just for the record, I do not work for or ride for DRD. I have nothing to gain by plugging his business. I just fully believe in the performance and quality of his product.

• MaxPower

Posted February 02, 2008 - 12:13 PM

If Dubach racing tools a new bend for WR's that clears the oil filter bolt, those of us with the current header bend that does not clear the bolt can have a replacement header shipped to us FOC.
Now that would be a huge positive statement of support for their customer base.

-Jay

[COLOR="Green"]I had dealings with Dr D and I cant say enough good about them
From others I have heard the same thing
A free head pipe? Come on.The more people get, the more people want
[/COLOR]

• KickInTex

Posted February 02, 2008 - 01:52 PM

:busted: All I can say is the pipe kicks ass!

• camaroman7d

Posted February 02, 2008 - 05:49 PM

Desert Devil,
I agree with you but, I think you are mis-understanding why some of the people are a little upset. A simple disclaimer by Dr. D is all that is needed to prevent all of this. I would have still bought the pipe knowing the clearance issue was there. I also feel like I should have been warned/told about this issue before purchasing the pipe. Like I said before I am very happy with the pipe and I don't plan on changing. I don't think anyone deserves a free pipe but, Dr. D should respond to the complaint.

I have over 17 years of customer service experience and communication is the key to success. There has been a lack of communication here on Dr. D's part, starting with not putting a disclaimer with the pipe. People want what they pay for and want all the info up front before laying down hard earned money.

Throwing a nut and stud in the box or even charging extra for it with the pipe (making it optional) would prevent this issue as well. In the big picture it not that big of an issue but, as you can see by the previous posts people are passionate about their property. Who knows how many people will read this and decide to buy a different pipe. I would buy it again and I would recommend it to others BUT (big but), I would advise them of the bolt clearance issue and let them decide if they want to deal with that. Not after they spent their money on it and had it on the bike.

• ThompsonV311

Posted February 02, 2008 - 09:46 PM

A lot of people in the industry stay away from these online forums because of all the bitching and whining and trashing that goes on. Doug personally puts in hours and hours of testing and actually running the tube bender to make sure that we have the best pipe for our bikes. You think Emler at FMF or Payton at Pro Circuit does? (Mitch for obvious reasons) I would much rather him put his time and effort into producing an excellent product, than coming on here to apologize or explain anything. People will still whine and complain to him anyways. Why should he put a disclaimer on his pipe, for having to loosen two nuts for an oil change? That is ridiculous. It takes 30 seconds to do it, and is not hurting the performance of the oil filter. Anybody waiting around for a free pipe or some message from Doug to explain that he had to cross the oil filter cover to make the awesome power needs to get out and ride.

• camaroman7d

Posted February 03, 2008 - 09:59 AM

Desert,
You have a right to your opinion. I never said he should come on here. I also never said he should apologize. I did however say he should have made this issue known to his customers. Hopefully he doesn't have the same attitude towards his customers as you do. If he does, he won't be in business long. I don't care how good the product is. The clearance thing is a minor issue but, it is an issue. Obviously more of an issue than you seem to think. Just read the thread, these are his customers that have either already bought the pipe or were planning to buy one. I don't think anyone said it wasn't a great product. You can't please everyone but, you can make things clear. Dr. D failed to make things clear and is failing to address the issue. All anyone needs is an explantion and to prevent this type of problem in the future, they just need to put a disclaimer on the box or order form (preferably on the order form or pipe discription, to save shipping costs to the few that would return the pipe because of the issue). It's just good customer service and will save headaches down the road. Again I am speaking from experience not from emotion (as you seem to be). I like my pipe and I will deal with it, if for some reason it bothers me I will find a way to make it easier. If you can't handle a little constructive critisizm you probably shouldn't be in business.

• snaggletooth

Posted February 05, 2008 - 06:37 PM

Man, I'm glad I read this post. I just bent my factory pipe and was planning on getting an after market system soon. I was realy jazzed up about DR.D, my wallet was starting to get hot. Not any more!

For me it's not worth getting pissed off every time I have to change my oil filter. Yes, pissed off that I have to loosen up my pipe just for an oil change. That's something that I do often, I don't like to be pissed off at my bike that often.

After getting a pipe bolted up properly with no leaks I like to leave it that way and not mess with it. If your like me, a properly jetted bike with the standard MOD's and the "other guy's pipe" will be just fine.

I'm not trying to bash you DR.D pipe owners. I thank you for informing me of this issue. Every time I see a DR.D on a 07+ WR I will think to my self, "that guy has the best pipe on the market." Then I will think, "I'm glad I don't have to mess with his oil change issue." I'll look into the stud replacement Idea. That may change my mine, the full system sure seems nice and is priced right.

It's obviouse that DR.D didn't give a rats a** about bolt removal clearances when he finalized the header design. I'll bet that slightly modifying the bend in the header wouldn't change HP or tourqe gains a bit! I hope DR.D buils a boat in his garage just to find that he had to take it apart to get it out.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted February 06, 2008 - 04:56 AM

[COLOR="Green"]I had dealings with Dr D and I cant say enough good about them
From others I have heard the same thing
A free head pipe? Come on.The more people get, the more people want
[/COLOR]

Hi MaxPower.

Sorry for the late response...I've been away for several days.

Understand...I like my DrD exhaust just fine. I feel like I paid a good price for a fantastic system.

I'm also a consumer...a customer of Dubach Racing. I purchased a product that, in my opinion, has a design characteristic favoring absolute performance over ease of maintenance. That is not a bad thing.

However, had I known beforehand (meaning before I handed over my hard-earned shekels) about the header design I would have considered choosing a different header that did not compromise simple maintenance convenience.

I'm taking the time to explain my perspective here because this type of dialog is beneficial for everyone and one of the reasons I subscribe to this forum. It's a great discourse.

IMO Dubach Racing should have a posted disclaimer regarding the oil filter cover bolt access for the '07 WR450 and then let consumers decide for themselves if this little inconvenience was worth the cost of the header.

Oh...yes! The more people get, the more they want. Hurray capitalism!:busted:

-Jay

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.