Dr.D pipe

185 replies to this topic
  • camaroman7d

Posted January 21, 2008 - 09:50 PM

Well after reading how Kick's pipe fits I think I will try to repostion mine when I get a chance. Maybe there is enough play to get to the bolt. The way it sits right now I think at my first oil change I will install a stud and nut.

As far as wearing out the thread in the head from removing the bolt to many times, just install a stud and use a nut. This is the prefered method when dealing with aluminum anyway.

• Island Boy

Posted January 22, 2008 - 06:24 AM

There is obviously a design flaw with the new header. I have lots of room with my DR D header on my 07WR. I can't remember the product # but I got the SS Full race system for the 06 YZ450 with the older "D" shaped can during January of 07. Honestly, it fits better than stock. It appears DR.D has screwed up somewhere here. This is a big deal especially if you change your oil often. Doug Dubach runs a great company, I'm sure they will get the problem sorted. If I were you I would speak to them about a replacement cuz it will really become a pain in the azz to get to the filter.

• camaroman7d

Posted January 22, 2008 - 07:25 PM

Maybe they will set up a recall and swap out the headers? I will wait to hear what they tell Jay. I sure would hate to change anything because the bike runs so good. If the stud/nut will work I will just take that route. If I were running the company that's exactly the fix I would send out to my customers (free of charge).

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 23, 2008 - 05:47 AM

Update...

I have not heard from Dubach Racing yet. If I don't have any response by the close of business today I'll call them tomorrow.

-Jay

• clark4131

Posted January 23, 2008 - 07:32 AM

I also sent an email off to their technical department regarding the fitment issue. I asked them if they could reply in the forum as well, and gave them the URL to the thread. Hopefully, they'll see the benefit of responding in a public forum and get back to us...SC

• RedBull420

Posted January 23, 2008 - 07:50 AM

Looking forward to all your responses as i'm about to order a system.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 23, 2008 - 01:12 PM

I also sent an email off to their technical department regarding the fitment issue. I asked them if they could reply in the forum as well, and gave them the URL to the thread. Hopefully, they'll see the benefit of responding in a public forum and get back to us...SC

Nice move SC.

Hopefully they will respond.

-Jay

• clark4131

Posted January 23, 2008 - 06:24 PM

Here's my email to them...

Gentlemen,

I am the moderator for the WR450 board of ThumperTalk. Currently, we have several members who have questions regarding your full exhaust system, primarily the header and how it tends to block the oil filter access on some bikes. Currently, I also run your exhaust on my WR, though my setup includes only your muffler and not the header. There is no question as to the quality or the performance benefits of your products, the only concern is the header position as it pertains to the oil filter. The thread is titled "Dr. D Pipe" and I have included the URL at the bottom of this message. If one of your technicians could read it and then weigh in on the issue, I know the ThumperTalk community would be most appreciative and the publicity certainly wouldn't hurt your sales. Many thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you...Steve Clark "clark4131"

Here's what I got back...

Steve,

I know you don't have to remove the head pipe but you do have to loosen the bolts on the head pipe to get to the oil filter. Let me check with Doug and get back to you on this one.

Thank you,
Lindsay Ferralotta
Sales Department
Dubach Racing Development
2038 Second St.
Norco, CA 92860
PH: 951-808-1114
Toll Free: 877-DUBACH1 (3822241)
Fax: 951-808-1116
WWW.DUBACHRACING.COM

Hopefully we'll get more from "The Man." Stay tuned for updates...SC

• w00dsRider

Posted January 24, 2008 - 03:57 AM

I know I'll get flamed for this but you guys are sure making happy I bought a FMF pipe.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 24, 2008 - 05:17 AM

I know I'll get flamed for this but you guys are sure making happy I bought a FMF pipe.

The muffler is not the problem w00dsy...it's the header. You're still running the stocker as I recall.

I think someone needs a new header to go with the nice FMF muffler!:cool:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 24, 2008 - 05:20 AM

You did better than me. I have gotten nada back in response to my e-mail to Dubach Racing.

Come ON Dubach Racing! There are customers interested in your response.

Thank you!

-Jay

• chevytrkn1

Posted January 27, 2008 - 08:27 AM

im looking at purchasing there system soon and would like to see Dubach responde to this with more than ill chack with so and so. I change my oil every 300 miles and dont want the hassle of loosening the head pipe every other weekend. Come on Dubach

• ThompsonV311

Posted January 28, 2008 - 07:40 PM

This pipe is worth it.

• dirtysouth

Posted January 29, 2008 - 10:15 AM

This pipe is worth it.

I don't know if this pipe is worth all of that mess or not. This thread has gotten my attention though as I am considering a way to squeeze a few more donkeys out of my motor plus my head pipe has been through the ringers. I have contacted Dubach as well, and I am very intersted in how they choose to respond to these concerns.

Just wanted to throw my name in the hat for the fitment issue that
you have received feedback from Thumpertalk on. As you know oil changes are
a vital maintenance aspect required for long engine life. Recommended interval
widows are relatively small on my bike (2005 WR450 Yam). So if I am
required to loosen my header bolts each change then I am certain that, given
the temperature ranges my bike faces in this area, detrimental signs of
fatigue will likely become an issue much sooner than later. Again, I am
just chiming in to help you see that the market is concerned and the forum
that you should have the URL to is passing this information along freely.
We are anxiously waiting for your reaction to our concerns.

This was the response that I received:

Jason,

I am going to bring this up in my meeting on Monday and I will e mail you
back when I get an answer about your concerns.

Thank you,
Lindsay Ferralotta
Sales Department
Dubach Racing Development
2038 Second St.
Norco, CA 92860
PH: 951-808-1114
Toll Free: 877-DUBACH1 (3822241)
Fax: 951-808-1116
WWW.DUBACHRACING.COM

Hoping for a dedicated response and best of luck to you guys suffering from the afterthoughts:rant:

• rickallen124

Posted January 29, 2008 - 10:58 AM

Dubach developed the new header with the big bend in it so that he could shorten how far the muffler stuck out the rear. There is a certain length and bend that provides the best power for each engine. Doug probably found the length would have the exhaust as far back as the rear fender if he didn't use the low-boy bend. The bend is supposed to help the low end and make the exhaust more compact and therefore lowering the center of gravity. From what I've read you can position it to allow oil changes or you will have to loosen the bolts at header. I'd be suprised if he changed the design of the header as that would cost quite bit as he would also have to change the mufflers due to a different mounting point.

• rickallen124

Posted January 29, 2008 - 11:00 AM

Those pipes are one of the very best for the Yamaha 450. I doubt having to loosen the header will add that much time to an oil change:ride:

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 29, 2008 - 01:00 PM

From what I've read you can position it to allow oil changes or you will have to loosen the bolts at header.

Hello rickallen.

I have not been able to position the header so that I can remove the bolt without loosening the exhaust system. I fiddled with it for quite awhile during my DrD system installation.:worthy:

I still have gotten no reply to my e-mail to Dubach racing. I will send another one and hopefully this time, get a response.:busted:

I really like the system and the fit-n-finish are first-rate.

-Jay

• rickallen124

Posted January 29, 2008 - 02:03 PM

There are a few guys in the YZ450 forum that have been able to position the header so that they can remove the oil filter without messing with the header. At the same time there are guys that are unable to position it in this manner. I believe it's possible, but difficult to do. Another reason the pipe is built that way is so that it clears the radiator if a person used Dr.D's radiatior lowering kit.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 29, 2008 - 04:04 PM

I believe it's possible, but difficult to do. Another reason the pipe is built that way is so that it clears the radiator if a person used Dr.D's radiatior lowering kit.

I know my way around a wrench...I couldn't do it.:busted:

I agree about the lowered rad clearence. I read something about clearance for lowered rads somewhere...I just dont remember where.

-Jay

• camaroman7d

Posted January 29, 2008 - 07:46 PM

I'm with Jay on this. I tried to gain oil filter clearance and there is no way it's going to happen. I am an experienced "wrench" and fabricator. My plan is to just install a stud and nut on my first oil change. If it ever stops raining I will get my second ride in and then change the oil. A stud and nut will only cost a couple bucks.

I love how the pipe fits and that it doesn't stick out the back very far, that alone is worth dealing with the oil filter clearance issue. The pipe sounds, looks, and works great. I won't be changing, that's for sure.

I do think they could throw a stud and nut in the package though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.