Dr.D pipe

185 replies to this topic
  • ThompsonV311

Posted January 18, 2008 - 03:27 PM

OK guys.

I installed my new DRD on my 07 WR450 and it took about 15 minutes total.:cool:

I spent another 15 minutes trying to line up the header so that it cleared the top bolt on the oil filter and it DOES NOT. Not matter how I fussed with it...when it's torques to spec it will not clear the bolt.

Since mine is the complete system I was curious about weight vs. the stock system. The DRD weighs 6.54lbs. complete.:busted: The stock unit weighs 3lbs. more. The DRD is 3 inches shorter at the back of the bike vs. the stock system.:crazy: My unit shipped without the quiet insert...it sounds awsome and I probably will not run the quiet insert when it arrives (I purchased it with the system...it just didn't ship with the system).

I'll post up some pics tomorrow.

-Jay

Ha! See I'm not crazy! :applause:

• RedBull420

Posted January 18, 2008 - 04:49 PM

Well that's not what i wanted to hear....

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 18, 2008 - 04:52 PM

Go full TI! It's the daddy. Got it on my 08

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 18, 2008 - 07:13 PM

OK...Here are the photos.

2007 WR450F with Aluminum muffler/stainless header.

It sounds badass. I should have done this months ago.
Posted Image

Here's a close-up of the header. Look at the top oil filter cover bolt. I could not position the header to clear it...and I tried.
Posted Image

Here's another angle...the header takes a different path from the stock header.
Posted Image

-Jay

• camaroman7d

Posted January 18, 2008 - 07:48 PM

The above pictures show exactly how mine fits as well. I too tried like a mad man to get it to clear the upper bolt, it's not possible. I am not sure how long that upper bolt is (haven't taken it out before) but, a ball end allen will get in there.

The pipe seems a bit loud to me, is it just me or is it loud? I didn't install the quiet insert yet, Are you California guys getting buy without it on government land? I will install it tomorrow and see how much difference it makes (both sound and performance).

On another note the pipe fits and looks very good. I finished all my mods last night and this evening. I will say the bike runs 5X stronger, I am impressed and very pleased. It wheelies at will (like it should), starts much easier, it's a whole new beast. Can't wait to get it offroad.

• JAYBIRDNLV

Posted January 18, 2008 - 08:35 PM

Ok guys... so did you re jet also and if so what did you do ,Thanks

• camaroman7d

Posted January 19, 2008 - 07:43 AM

I installed the GYTR AIS kit (just didn't disconnect the AIS). I installed it exactly as the instructions suggested. I was worried it would be to rich after reading all the jetting threads but, from my preliminary ride around the block it seems pretty close.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 19, 2008 - 09:29 AM

I am not sure how long that upper bolt is (haven't taken it out before) but, a ball end allen will get in there.

The pipe seems a bit loud to me, is it just me or is it loud? I didn't install the quiet insert yet,

On another note the pipe fits and looks very good. I finished all my mods last night and this evening. I will say the bike runs 5X stronger, I am impressed and very pleased. It wheelies at will (like it should), starts much easier, it's a whole new beast. Can't wait to get it offroad.

Ok guys... so did you re jet also and if so what did you do ,Thanks

Hi camaroman7d...the bolt is quite long so although you can get a ball-end-style t-handle on it, the length of the bolt will almost surely prevent removal. The exhaust is much louder than stock...around 99dB without the quiet insert.

JAYBIRDNLV...howdy. I to have the GYTR jetting from the AIS removal kit installed. Although it seems slightly rich, the bike runs nicely. Throttle response is crisp...no back-fireing...no popping on deceleration. Could it benefit from some advanced carb tweaking...sure. But can't they all?:cool:

I'm very pleased with the fit and finish of the DRD system. The fact that I'll most likely have to loosen the header for an oil filter change does bother me.:applause: I'm not sure why the header was engineered this way and I'm composing an e-mail to Dubach Racing to pose this question.

-Jay

• FastRides

Posted January 19, 2008 - 01:49 PM

The fact that I'll most likely have to loosen the header for an oil filter change does bother me.:applause: I'm not sure why the header was engineered this way and I'm composing an e-mail to Dubach Racing to pose this question.
-Jay

That's a real bummer, Jay - I'd be bit out of sorts, too.
I'll be interested to read about the feedback you get from DrD. Perhaps well-crafted comments like your's to them will serve as a catalyst to get this problem fixed. Good on ya for taking the time. :cool:
Mark

• JAYBIRDNLV

Posted January 19, 2008 - 02:54 PM

Thanks guys for the info. I picked up the GYTR kit today and I am in the process of Installing it now with my new DRD system. I will keep you posted on the results.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted January 19, 2008 - 05:00 PM

Just a little reminder folks...removing or disabling the AIS does nothing for performance, nor does it effect jetting. All it does is eliminate some decel popping so you can jet the bike more accurately. Without removal, you will continue to have decel pop which can and will cause frustration and confusion with regard to setting the carb up properly :cool:...SC

• camaroman7d

Posted January 20, 2008 - 09:30 AM

Clark,
I read about the backfiring without disconneting the AIS. I finally got the bike out for a ride yesterday and there really wasn't an issue with backfiring. When it did pop a little it was after cruising at a constant speed for a while and then backing out of the throttle. When I was on it hard and let off, I didn't get any popping at all. I can't imagine the bike running any better than it does now.

Oh Yeah, I installed the quiet insert and I like it. The bike ran great had more than enough power and still sounded very good.

• WR_Dave

Posted January 20, 2008 - 10:27 AM

Another thing that can cause some decel popping is the ACV valve on the right side of the carb, just remove the cover and flip the diaphram and spring so the diaphram pin and spring are against the cover when you reinstall it. With the ACV disabled you can get a more accurate read on your pilot cicuit. WR Dave.

• KickInTex

Posted January 20, 2008 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the info on the header gasket. I got the system installed today and see what you were talking about on reusing the copper washer they use for the header seal. I did not have any installation problems and the stock rubber hanger was simple enough to swap over to the new muffler with just a little silicone spray on the outside edges of the grommet. I checked my upper oil filter bolt for clearance and had no problems removing the bolt with the header installed. :cool:

Kick,
My Dr D showed up on Tuesday, did you notice the note that says, if installing on a WR you need a WR installation kit? I can't see why you would need that but, I haven't installed it yet (I will be doing that today). I also noticed there is no new gasket in the box, I will check with my Yamaha dealer and see if they stock it, if so I will replace it.

The pipe does look nice and is well made. Don't forget to use a little anti-seize on the bolt that goes into the bung on the pipe (the one that bolts it to the frame).

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 21, 2008 - 09:56 AM

I checked my upper oil filter bolt for clearance and had no problems removing the bolt with the header installed. :cool:

Hi KickInTex.

Which system from DRD did you get and which bike did you install the system on?

If you could post a couple of photos (an overall view and a closeup view of the header section over the oil filter bolt) that would be very helpful.

PM me if you need assistance with posting photos.

Thanks!

-Jay

• JAYBIRDNLV

Posted January 21, 2008 - 02:44 PM

Hey Jay, This is Jay... I have a 2006WR450, Just put on my SS DRD full system this weekend and have the same oil filter access issue as you do. Looks like no way around on my bike. I did all the air box mods, grey wire,GYTR AIS kit. This thing fired up in the first second and sounds great. Took it for a spin around the block and felt great. I will be taking it out on saturday for a fuul test.

• dirtysouth

Posted January 21, 2008 - 04:19 PM

OK...Here are the photos.

2007 WR450F with Aluminum muffler/stainless header.

It sounds badass. I should have done this months ago.
Posted Image

Here's a close-up of the header. Look at the top oil filter cover bolt. I could not position the header to clear it...and I tried.
Posted Image

Here's another angle...the header takes a different path from the stock header.
Posted Image

-Jay

Dang man, I think that they owe you some dough. For the money I bet you spent on that system 80 percent of it is surely chalked up to development/engineering.:applause: This is the stuff you pay a company and its developers/engineers to think about before they bend and weld a pipe. At least tell a man if he is gonna have to break the head pipe to change the oil. I ride a lot of street and at every 600 miles (reccom. interval) that means breaking loose every 3 weeks. How long do you think its going to take for those aluminum threads to show detrimental signs of fatigue? The dude making these pipes probably gets payed $15 an hour and might make two or three an hour. Gonna cost you a chunk to replace your jug cuz you can't really add steel thread inserts in aluminum without galvanic corrosion (same principle found in OEM aluminum nipples with steel spokes). So the way I see it they either owe you a pipe that clears the plate bolts or the money that you sent them for the pipe.:cool:

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 21, 2008 - 05:03 PM

Hey Jay, This is Jay... I have a 2006WR450, Just put on my SS DRD full system this weekend and have the same oil filter access issue as you do. Looks like no way around on my bike. I did all the air box mods, grey wire,GYTR AIS kit. This thing fired up in the first second and sounds great. Took it for a spin around the block and felt great. I will be taking it out on saturday for a fuul test.

Hi Jay! I rode mine this weekend. It ran great!

I'm smiling now...we shall see if I'm still amiling after the first oil filter change.:cool:

-Jay

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 21, 2008 - 05:06 PM

Dang man, I think that they owe you some dough. For the money I bet you spent on that system 80 percent of it is surely chalked up to development/engineering.:busted: This is the stuff you pay a company and its developers/engineers to think about before they bend and weld a pipe. At least tell a man if he is gonna have to break the head pipe to change the oil. I ride a lot of street and at every 600 miles (reccom. interval) that means breaking loose every 3 weeks. How long do you think its going to take for those aluminum threads to show detrimental signs of fatigue? The dude making these pipes probably gets payed $15 an hour and might make two or three an hour. Gonna cost you a chunk to replace your jug cuz you can't really add steel thread inserts in aluminum without galvanic corrosion (same principle found in OEM aluminum nipples with steel spokes). So the way I see it they either owe you a pipe that clears the plate bolts or the money that you sent them for the pipe.:cool:

Pretty good rant dirtysouth.:applause:

I don't know much metallurgy...and I don't really care about Dubach Racing employee wages.

I do know that I have voiced my concerns and asked my questions directly to Dubach Racing and I'm waiting for a response. I'll share what I'm told.

-Jay

• KickInTex

Posted January 21, 2008 - 06:46 PM

I got the SS/Alum system part # 7020. I installed it on an 07 WR450F. The package it came in and the catalog shipped with it show it to fit an 06-08 YZ450F and also an 07-08 WR450F
There is not a whole lot of clearance around the oil filter bolt with this header installed, but there is enough to get straight on it with a t-handle hex and to remove the bolt. I will get some pics posted as soon as I can, but it will be later this week. I noticed that when installing the header, that if you leave the bolt in the muffler pipe a bit loose, you can get some play to position the header pipe like you need it before you tighten the flange at the cylinder. Then go back an snug the pipe bolt down. It worked for me somehow, as I was worried about this issue after all the talk on the forum.
:cool:

Hi KickInTex.

Which system from DRD did you get and which bike did you install the system on?

If you could post a couple of photos (an overall view and a closeup view of the header section over the oil filter bolt) that would be very helpful.

PM me if you need assistance with posting photos.

Thanks!

-Jay

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.