Dr.D pipe

185 replies to this topic
  • ThompsonV311

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:21 PM

Nope, I am a machinist by trade and have looked into a solution to this problem. It is just the way the pipe was bent, and jigged up to weld. On mine the way the flange seats up to the exhaust port causes the header to wind down very low and just across the oil filter cover. There is no way at all to get to the top screw which is the longest of the 3 anyways. Maybe I'll give them a call on Mon. if nobody else is having this problem.

• camaroman7d

Posted January 11, 2008 - 08:30 PM

Jay, No back order for me, I recieved an e-mail with a tracking number today. I mis-quoted the price in my earlier post, I typed $437 but, it is actually $447 to my door.

Hopefully I won't have the oil filter interference that Desert is having.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 12, 2008 - 06:47 AM

Why wouldn't you guys with the intrusive head pipe either buy or fabricate a stud to replace the top oil fliter cover bolt and just use a washer and a nut to solve the problem???:banghead: And Jay that is a funny sig. WR Dave.

Hi WR_Dave.

Let's see...that would require some fabrications skills...I can't even fabricate a convincing lie when the wife asks what my sig line is supposed to mean!:busted:

-Jay

• WR_Dave

Posted January 12, 2008 - 07:24 AM

Jay, I'm sure you can find someone to rig up something. I would find a bolt supply store and get a metric bolt that is longer than needed, cut the bolt head off to the correct length and then run some threads onto the cut end. Install the stud , nut and washer and go ride. I'm not going to help with your wife/sig. issues :busted: :banghead: WR Dave.

• camaroman7d

Posted January 12, 2008 - 07:50 AM

So far it looks like only one person is having issues with fitment. If I have issues I will fabricate something and share the details. Hopefully it's just a fluke his pipe fits the way it does, probably wasn't in the jig correctly when they welded it or maybe it pulled a little. Once you get yours be sure to post how it fits, I will do the same.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 12, 2008 - 07:59 AM

Jay, I'm sure you can find someone to rig up something. I would find a bolt supply store and get a metric bolt that is longer than needed, cut the bolt head off to the correct length and then run some threads onto the cut end. Install the stud , nut and washer and go ride. I'm not going to help with your wife/sig. issues :D :busted: WR Dave.

Hi WR_Dave.

I'm right in the middle of NASCAR country. You are correct in that I could find someone able to perform that job...I like the idea and will certainly keep it in mind if I run into the bolt issue.

It would be a shame and an inconvenience to remove the header pipe for a simple oil filter change.

The wifey gives me that long-suffering 'I'm living-with-an-idiot 10-year-old' look.:D :ride: She chose wisely!:banghead:

-Jay

• 450-F

Posted January 13, 2008 - 06:12 AM

If you buy the Dr.D for a steel-frame bike(03-06), is it possible to move it over to a aluminum frame(07-08)? Could I it least use the slipon if not the header?

• Island Boy

Posted January 14, 2008 - 06:32 AM

Nope, I am a machinist by trade and have looked into a solution to this problem. It is just the way the pipe was bent, and jigged up to weld. On mine the way the flange seats up to the exhaust port causes the header to wind down very low and just across the oil filter cover. There is no way at all to get to the top screw which is the longest of the 3 anyways. Maybe I'll give them a call on Mon. if nobody else is having this problem.

Desert Devil, you must have the wrong header. I have a full Dr D on my 07 and i have tons of room around the oil filter cover. Not sure if it was you but someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they spent extra bux for the thicker header. Why... I have no idea... unlike previous years, the 07 WR comes with a smaller header for many reasons but the main reason was to increase low end power. I explained this earlier but here goes again: I bought the full exhaust for the 06 YZ, just like member Derwud2, during early 2007 and it fits amazing... Better than stock. I would call Dubach and explain your situation instead of fishing for answers here. Ask them what the difference is between the new YZ and WR exhaust systems and change your header. Forget modifications, that header is gonna be a pain in the Azz for you if you keep it.

• ThompsonV311

Posted January 14, 2008 - 04:26 PM

No I didn't order any special thick headpipe. I bought mine in July 07 so I don't think it was one of their first shots at bending up an exhaust for this bikes. But who knows. I'm really not fishing for answers here, and I don't plan on modifying it. I was just giving my experience with this pipe for the fella who asked about it. Being that this is my race bike I tear the bike down to the frame for greasing, cleaning, inspection, etc every 10 hrs anyways. This is also when I do oil changes so it really isn't a major deal for me, but I know most people don't do this like I do and that would be for them. Besides I really don't think DRD would replace a pipe that I have been running for six months either or i might send it back in. You say you have the YZ system on your WR? Maybe that is the difference in clearance? Regardless this pipe rips!

• Island Boy

Posted January 15, 2008 - 06:10 AM

No I didn't order any special thick headpipe. I bought mine in July 07 so I don't think it was one of their first shots at bending up an exhaust for this bikes. But who knows. I'm really not fishing for answers here, and I don't plan on modifying it. I was just giving my experience with this pipe for the fella who asked about it. Being that this is my race bike I tear the bike down to the frame for greasing, cleaning, inspection, etc every 10 hrs anyways. This is also when I do oil changes so it really isn't a major deal for me, but I know most people don't do this like I do and that would be for them. Besides I really don't think DRD would replace a pipe that I have been running for six months either or i might send it back in. You say you have the YZ system on your WR? Maybe that is the difference in clearance? Regardless this pipe rips!

Cool, I hear ya man. I am gonna post a close up pic of my set-up so that those who are having a problem with the fitment of their header can compare. And yes... you are absolutely right... This pipe rips!!!!

Update: See picture posted by Derwud2 on page 4 of this thread. it is the same set up as mine... like i said, tons of space around the oil filter cover.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThompsonV311

Posted January 15, 2008 - 08:40 PM

Wow that pipe does come out quite a bit farther from the motor than mine. look at my pic on page 1 and you can tell the difference. Come to think of it mine being so close to the motor may be a little more beneficial to me out in some of the rock waterfalls and canyons we race through.

• KickInTex

Posted January 16, 2008 - 10:04 PM

Will the 07 fit on an 08?

Yes, the DR. D system will fit the 07 and 08 models. Got mine UPS today from Dubach Racing via Quality Smart for $417.00 shipped to the house. The info that came with the system shows to be part # 7020, which is the style 4 muffler. The application and instructions show the system to be for 06-08 YZ450F and for the 07-08 WR450F. They also included a product catalog and don't show to have the style 5 can available in the YZ/WR any longer. Hope this clears up some confusion on these systems. Can wait to install it this weekend and give it a run.

Has everyone been reusing their original header gasket? There is not one included in the kit.

• camaroman7d

Posted January 17, 2008 - 07:43 AM

Kick,
My Dr D showed up on Tuesday, did you notice the note that says, if installing on a WR you need a WR installation kit? I can't see why you would need that but, I haven't installed it yet (I will be doing that today). I also noticed there is no new gasket in the box, I will check with my Yamaha dealer and see if they stock it, if so I will replace it.

The pipe does look nice and is well made. Don't forget to use a little anti-seize on the bolt that goes into the bung on the pipe (the one that bolts it to the frame).

• camaroman7d

Posted January 17, 2008 - 10:28 AM

I just got back from the dealer, I talked to a tech there and he said I can just flip the gasket over and re-use it. My bike doesn't have any time on it yet. He said the only time you need to worry is if you have a lot of hours on the bike with a lot of carbon build up and you are changing to a new pipe. I will just flip it over and go. A new gasket is only ~$5.00 but, they didn't have it in stock. If they had it in stock I would have bought it and replaced it anyway.

• RedBull420

Posted January 17, 2008 - 10:29 AM

And what about this "WR installation" kit?? Is it needed?

• erickdj

Posted January 17, 2008 - 10:55 AM

And what about this "WR installation" kit?? Is it needed?

I think that's only needed for the 250's.

• KAS

Posted January 17, 2008 - 01:49 PM

I'm curious, those of you who are running the Dr. D with the quiet insert, how does it run?

I noticed in the fine print on the Dr. D site it says the quiet insert should only be run when absolutely necessary. To me, this kinda says that the pipe really isn't designed to run quiet, and its more of a cobbled-on afterthought, just to pass tech before going back to the truck to yank it out.

• dirtysouth

Posted January 17, 2008 - 02:05 PM

Man, I have to say that slip ons kinda come up short when you consider bang for the buck aspects. They can help but I just took out that little squealer tube that comes OEM and it woke my 05 450 up. Then I recently decided to cut out the curl in the turn down cuz I didn't like the way the air sounded as it seemed to escape from the edges. You may have seen evidence of this before where the carbon drips run down the canister. Man, you may not want to believe it but she woke up even a little more plus the sound is good too. If you take your time you can make it look pretty sweet too. Sorry I don't have pics but I swear my Donkey bucks as good as anybodys with a slip on Muzzle.

• camaroman7d

Posted January 18, 2008 - 08:09 AM

No you do not need the WR installation kit on the 450 (at least for the 07). I just finished putting my bike back together last night. Also the exhaust "gasket" is not your typical gasket and I can see how it can be used more than once without any issue.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 18, 2008 - 03:23 PM

OK guys.

I installed my new DRD on my 07 WR450 and it took about 15 minutes total.:cool:

I spent another 15 minutes trying to line up the header so that it cleared the top bolt on the oil filter and it DOES NOT. Not matter how I fussed with it...when it's torques to spec it will not clear the bolt.

Since mine is the complete system I was curious about weight vs. the stock system. The DRD weighs 6.54lbs. complete.:applause: The stock unit weighs 3lbs. more. The DRD is 3 inches shorter at the back of the bike vs. the stock system.:busted: My unit shipped without the quiet insert...it sounds awsome and I probably will not run the quiet insert when it arrives (I purchased it with the system...it just didn't ship with the system).

I'll post up some pics tomorrow.

-Jay

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.