Dr.D pipe

185 replies to this topic
  • RedBull420

Posted January 07, 2008 - 07:45 AM

Quality Smart will only ship to US address at this point in time. :banghead:

I do however have a co-worker that has family in the USofA so should be able to get around it.

• w00dsRider

Posted January 08, 2008 - 03:22 AM

OK...I ordered the "style 4" system from qualitysmart.com. It's the new Dr. D design aluminum can and stainless steel header.

$447.46 for a full exhaust system with the Silent Insert and Spark Arrester delivered to the door is a hell of a good price.:busted:

I'll post up pics when I have it installed.:banghead:

-Jay

$447.46 sounds like a good price for the Dr D but I paid $243 for a Ti FMF Power Core slip on yesterday. Is the Dr D twice as good?

• clark4131

Posted January 08, 2008 - 06:13 AM

The $447 is for a FULL exhaust, not just the can...SC

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 08, 2008 - 12:53 PM

$447.46 sounds like a good price for the Dr D but I paid $243 for a Ti FMF Power Core slip on yesterday. Is the Dr D twice as good?

I paid extra for the Dr D header pipe...larger diameter, thicker flange, etc. in addition to the muffler w/ quiet insert and spark arrestor.

It will be fun to run 'em together and see how they compare...especially after we dump the bikes on their shiny new mufflers for the first time.:banghead:

Very cool w00dsy!

-Jay

• ThompsonV311

Posted January 08, 2008 - 09:10 PM

Posted Image

• w00dsRider

Posted January 09, 2008 - 03:36 AM

The only thing I didn't get is the header, the FMF is a slip-on NOT just the can. I dare you to find the price I paid, or less, anywhere.

• Island Boy

Posted January 09, 2008 - 06:02 AM

I paid extra for the Dr D header pipe...larger diameter, thicker flange, etc. in addition to the muffler w/ quiet insert and spark arrestor.

I was under the impression that the new designed 07 WR took on a smaller diameter header (like the YZ) in an effort to provide more low end power. This is why I put the DRD full exhaust for the YZ on my 07 WR and why I think I have no problem getting to the oil filter cover as previously mentioned in this thread.

• clark4131

Posted January 09, 2008 - 07:02 AM

The only thing I didn't get is the header, the FMF is a slip-on NOT just the can. I dare you to find the price I paid, or less, anywhere.

I know what you got as that is what everyone gets. A full FMF system consists of the can and the header. The midpipe is manufactured as part of the can, not a separate piece. Call it what you want, it's just a matter of semantics. BTW, I paid less than you for my Ti PowerCore way back when, but so what, I didn't like the can, so away it went in less than a couple months. To each his own...SC

• w00dsRider

Posted January 10, 2008 - 03:29 AM

I know what you got as that is what everyone gets. A full FMF system consists of the can and the header. The midpipe is manufactured as part of the can, not a separate piece. Call it what you want, it's just a matter of semantics. BTW, I paid less than you for my Ti PowerCore way back when, but so what, I didn't like the can, so away it went in less than a couple months. To each his own...SC

Way back when a dollar got everybody more.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 10, 2008 - 05:15 AM

I was under the impression that the new designed 07 WR took on a smaller diameter header (like the YZ) in an effort to provide more low end power. This is why I put the DRD full exhaust for the YZ on my 07 WR and why I think I have no problem getting to the oil filter cover as previously mentioned in this thread.

Hi Island Boy.

The '07 WR does come with a smaller diameter header pipe from the factory. The Dr D pipe is a larger diameter piece...it will be fun to bolt it on. I shouldn't have any clearance issues with the oil filter cover if I position the header pipe correctly.

I do have a question for you since you have done this mod to your WR...did you use any type of thread compound on the header bolts...either anti-seize or loctite? The manual does not show any thread compound being used on the header nut or bolt. It does show loctite used for the heat shield screws.

Thanks!

-Jay

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Island Boy

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:13 AM

Hi Island Boy.

The '07 WR does come with a smaller diameter header pipe from the factory. The Dr D pipe is a larger diameter piece...it will be fun to bolt it on. I shouldn't have any clearance issues with the oil filter cover if I position the header pipe correctly.

I do have a question for you since you have done this mod to your WR...did you use any type of thread compound on the header bolts...either anti-seize or loctite? The manual does not show any thread compound being used on the header nut or bolt. It does show loctite used for the heat shield screws.

Thanks!

-Jay

I didn't use any thread compound. The header bolts have not moved in almost a year.

• clark4131

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:20 AM

Actually, you should use anti-seize on the flange bolt and stud when mounting the header. The constant heating and cooling can become a problem if you go to remove it later...SC

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:29 AM

I didn't use any thread compound. The header bolts have not moved in almost a year.

Thank you!:banghead:

-Jay

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 10, 2008 - 07:31 AM

Actually, you should use anti-seize on the flange bolt and stud when mounting the header. The constant heating and cooling can become a problem if you go to remove it later...SC

I always use anti-sieze on exhaust header bolts and sparkplugs on my car engines. That's why I asked about the header on the bike. The manual shows nothing.:banghead:

-Jay

• beezer

Posted January 10, 2008 - 09:21 AM

The people at Dr. D said to use lot's of Loctite Red on them.

That way the exhaust system won't fall off and start a forest fire.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 10, 2008 - 09:30 AM

Actually, you should use anti-seize on the flange bolt and stud when mounting the header...SC

That's why I love this forum...a wide variety of opinions, ideas and, comments.:banghead:

The answer is as clear as mud.:busted:

I've never used loctite on exhaust flange bolts...always anti-seize.

It's time to question the various exhaust manufacturers and seek a majority opinion!:ride:

I'll get back to you...

-Jay

• clark4131

Posted January 10, 2008 - 09:41 AM

That way the exhaust system won't fall off and start a forest fire.

From the same folks who said their freer flowing exhaust won't require rejetting! Ay Caramba! :busted:

Bottom line: Listen to TT, Listen to Dr. D, Listen to your crazy next door neighbor, it doesn't really matter because in the end, people will do what they want to do. Now, who's to say who's right? I will! I have rarely, if ever, seen TT advice steer someone in the wrong direction unless the advice taker couldn't differentiate between a joke and reality, i.e. "putting sand in your engine will clean out all the left over sludge." I have seen dealers, vendors, and anyone interested in making a buck with a product, destroy someone's little blue baby, because they either don't know the specifics of that particular bike, or the person giving the advice really had no business even tying their own shoelaces. This scenario has been born out time and again at most local bike shops. Unless you're talking to Doug Dubach himself, and maybe even then, the vendor's advice is suspect at the very least. Soapbox dismounted :banghead:...SC

• beezer

Posted January 10, 2008 - 09:49 AM

I agree with you 100%.

You have to be careful where you get your information. A variety of sources is the best way.

BTW Harley riders chrome their pipes so they can find it when it falls off.

• camaroman7d

Posted January 10, 2008 - 10:43 AM

Great thread with lots of good information. I have been lurking on this site for a long time. Just picked up my new 07 WR450 yesterday. Took it for a putt around the neighborhood and I am a bit disappointed. I knew it would be down on power after reseaching on this site but, I didn't expect it to be that bad. My YZ400F was WAY faster than this. The WR is sweet other than the stock tuning.

Anyway a pipe is going to be my first purchase (along with the other mods listed on this site). The bike is LEAN out of the box so, the person that posted that, is 100% correct. It is so lean I won't ride it again until I get it dialed in. The pipe was glowing red and it actually ran better with the choke partially on (both signs of a lean condition). You can feel the bikes power is choked up bad. It is also true that a more free flowing exhaust will require a jetting change (richer).

I planned on buying a slip-on originally but, it looks like the Dr D full system is the was to go. Does the fact there is no heat shield cause any problems for any of you? (burned boots/pants, etc...) Not a big deal I can weld stand-offs and install heat shields if needed.

• beezer

Posted January 10, 2008 - 10:55 AM

The pipes always glow red on these things.

I wouldn't worry about that.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.