Dr.D pipe

185 replies to this topic
  • beezer

Posted January 04, 2008 - 06:58 AM

I bought a DR. D pipe yesterday and also bought a YZ needle for 15 bucks.

I called Dr. D and they said 4 th clip on the YZ needle and a 162 main jet.

But since it's 18 degrees I don't see myself testing any time soon.

• 450-F

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:06 AM

I bought a DR. D pipe yesterday and also bought a YZ needle for 15 bucks.

I called Dr. D and they said 4 th clip on the YZ needle and a 162 main jet.

But since it's 18 degrees I don't see myself testing any time soon.

They tell you exactly what settings to run? I Bet you wouldn't get that anywhere else.

Also the Exhaust I'm looking @ is the $549.00 can, its brand new from the factory, its 415 bucks, I'm prob gonna buy it this weekend.

thanks for all the input guys :banghead: :busted: :D

• clark4131

Posted January 04, 2008 - 12:41 PM

162 Main? :banghead: That's leaner than the stock 165...Bad Idea!...SC

• motothumper11407

Posted January 04, 2008 - 12:44 PM

i hae the dr.d full exhaust on my 06 honda crf450. i loe it. big improemet over stock. id sa go dr.d

• beezer

Posted January 06, 2008 - 08:41 AM

162 Main? That's leaner than the stock 165...Bad Idea!...SC

While it is possible that the person on the phone gave me the wrong specs or I misheard but I do think the people at Dr. D. may know a bit more about the correct jetting for their own pipes than someone on the internet.

• erickdj

Posted January 06, 2008 - 09:15 AM

While it is possible that the person on the phone gave me the wrong specs or I misheard but I do think the people at Dr. D. may know a bit more about the correct jetting for their own pipes than someone on the internet.

uhmmm, I'm sure they know the right jetting specs needed for their pipe, but it's also possible that they could have made an honest mistake telling you the jet size. Another thing, lots of these "people on the internet" really know their stuff, don't be so quick at labeling them as ignorant. Collectively, Thumpertalk has an immense amount of knowledge about the bikes being discussed here.

• SXP

Posted January 06, 2008 - 10:17 AM

Ouch! A collective slap in the face to the WR forum:thumbsdn:

So, do you hang around here to hear the ignorant ranting of this community:excuseme:

• clark4131

Posted January 06, 2008 - 10:25 AM

:banghead: :busted: :ride: :D :D :D :D :prof: :busted: :busted: :busted: :busted: :busted: :busted: :busted: :prof: :prof:

Now that's priceless!!!

Here's my experience in the Reader's Digest format...

Elevation...4300' ASL
Required jetting w/ Q2...45/168/68/42
W/ Ti PowerCore...One position richer on the needle
W/ Dr. D...No change needed from Powercore

Sure, I didn't need to re-jet from the PowerCore to the Dr. D., but I had already rejetted from stock and then from the Q2. So I guess what goes on in the "real world" can't hold a candle to the "experts". The fact is the WR must be rejetted out of the box, period. Any so-called expert knows that the carb must be readjusted in any number of ways once there is a significant change in the air/fuel mixture, in one or both of the intake or exhaust sides of the engine. If Dr. D claims that no rejetting is needed, then neither is their pipe...SC

• erickdj

Posted January 06, 2008 - 10:26 AM

Ouch! A collective slap in the face to the WR forum:thumbsdn:

So, do you hang around here to hear the ignorant ranting of this community:excuseme:

I've been a member of the forum for less than 2 years, but in the last couple of months I've been seeing that kind of attitude from a few people. Makes you think about why they would even ask questions if they see everyone here as ignorant.....:banghead: :busted: :ride: :D

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 06, 2008 - 02:56 PM

Ok...back to the post topic...if you please.:banghead:

Will the new Dr.D system (aluminum/stainless or titanium/titanium) for a 2007 YZ450 fit the 2007 WR450?

I ask because the www.qualitysmart.com site has them both and the pricing is excellent. However, the exhaust specifically stated for the '07WR450 is the "style 5" system...the traditional "D" shaped system.

This is the only system listed as compatible with the '07 WR450. Dr. D's web site shows the newer style muffler and only fits it as compatible with the '07 YZ450 and not the '07 WR450.

I'll order the newer style (what qualitysmart.com call the "style 4" system) if the system shown for the '07 YZ450 will fit correctly on the '07 WR450.

Thanks for your help folks.

-Jay

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted January 06, 2008 - 03:31 PM

Ok...back to the post topic...if you please.:busted:

Will the new Dr.D system (aluminum/stainless or titanium/titanium) for a 2007 YZ450 fit the 2007 WR450?

I ask because the www.qualitysmart.com site has them both and the pricing is excellent. However, the exhaust specifically stated for the '07WR450 is the "style 5" system...the traditional "D" shaped system.

This is the only system listed as compatible with the '07 WR450. Dr. D's web site shows the newer style muffler and only fits it as compatible with the '07 YZ450 and not the '07 WR450.

I'll order the newer style (what qualitysmart.com call the "style 4" system) if the system shown for the '07 YZ450 will fit correctly on the '07 WR450.

Thanks for your help folks.

-Jay

the exhaust system from the 07 yz450f will fit the 07 wr450f just fine, no issues there. Don't forget to re-jet.:banghead:

• RedBull420

Posted January 06, 2008 - 04:45 PM

Will the 07 fit on an 08?

• Derwud

Posted January 06, 2008 - 06:08 PM

Here is my 07 WR450 with the old style can.

Posted Image

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 06, 2008 - 06:22 PM

the exhaust system from the 07 yz450f will fit the 07 wr450f just fine, no issues there. Don't forget to re-jet.:banghead:

OK...I ordered the "style 4" system from qualitysmart.com. It's the new Dr. D design aluminum can and stainless steel header.

$447.46 for a full exhaust system with the Silent Insert and Spark Arrester delivered to the door is a hell of a good price.:ride:

I'll post up pics when I have it installed.:busted:

-Jay

• FastRides

Posted January 06, 2008 - 06:25 PM

Good discussion, fellas.

Thanks for posting your question, Jay, which is the same I had after reading this thread and lurking for a while researching the Dr D (basically since derwud2 and Island Boy posted their pics!). As we continue to beat this dead horse, I'm still curious why Desert Devil had issues with his header blocking the oil filter bolt (posted earlier in this thread) - looks like he's got the "Style 4" (newer pipe) offered by Qualitysmart.

If both fit with no obstruction issues, anyone have an opinion as to which would be better for the WR? Both are offered on QSmart for the same price. :banghead:

Finally, RB420 - you may want to PM RFausel who put one on his '08 (not sure if new or D style can)...

Thanks to all for pitchin' in on this.

• beezer

Posted January 06, 2008 - 06:28 PM

Now that's priceless!!!

Here's my experience in the Reader's Digest format...

If your bike is jetted to your satisfaction I'm really happy for you. But I would still take into account the people's opinion who made the pipe rather than another self proclaimed internet "expert".

BTW I bought my pipe and all the other bling for my WR from Thumper Talk.

• RedBull420

Posted January 06, 2008 - 06:32 PM

Good discussion, fellas.

Finally, RB420 - you may want to PM RFausel who put one on his '08 (not sure if new or D style can)...

Thanks, i'll shoot him a PM.

• erickdj

Posted January 06, 2008 - 06:56 PM

Will the 07 fit on an 08?

yeah, there's no reason why it wouldn't fit.:banghead:

• erickdj

Posted January 06, 2008 - 06:59 PM

If your bike is jetted to your satisfaction I'm really happy for you. But I would still take into account the people's opinion who made the pipe rather than another self proclaimed internet "expert".

BTW I bought my pipe and all the other bling for my WR from Thumper Talk.

ok, I guess we're all ignorant idiots because we take the time to help fellow riders on the internet.... :banghead:

/sarcasm

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted January 07, 2008 - 05:23 AM

Good discussion, fellas.

Thanks for posting your question, Jay, which is the same I had after reading this thread and lurking for a while researching the Dr D (basically since derwud2 and Island Boy posted their pics!). As we continue to beat this dead horse, I'm still curious why Desert Devil had issues with his header blocking the oil filter bolt (posted earlier in this thread) - looks like he's got the "Style 4" (newer pipe) offered by Qualitysmart.

If both fit with no obstruction issues, anyone have an opinion as to which would be better for the WR? Both are offered on QSmart for the same price. :banghead:

Hi FastRides...you're welcome.

There is a product review for the Dr. D pipe here on TT and in the review the comment is made about the potential to obscure the top bolt when you install the header pipe. This can be avoided by placing a t-handle wrench into the bolt head and aligning the header pipe during installation so it clears the wrench.

No problem-o.

-Jay

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.