Edlebrock return spring

8 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted December 25, 2007 - 06:01 PM

My Edlebrock works great, accept the throttle will not snap back to closed by itself every time. I get a slight hanging idle, which is very un-cool.

I pulled everything apart today, and it seems the culprit is the slide return spring. Even without all the cables, it only snaps back all the way every time, if you let go of the linkage and let it 'snap'. If you let it down nicely, it does not return all the way; the last few milimeters are sloppy.

It seems to me that if I removed the slide linkage and gave the return spring (rotary spring) another turn or two, this problem would go away. I am just reluctant to remove that circlip holding it on, as it is very small and very strong. (boing! wheredit go?).

That, or add another external spring, which would be kind of cheezy...

Suggestions?

• haggeo

Posted December 25, 2007 - 06:22 PM

i had a similar snap ring problem so i bought a $9 snap ring pliers and 5-6 tiny snap rings for a few pennies each. pulled the old one off, fixed the thing and put a new one on with no problems.

• Descalzo

Posted December 28, 2007 - 03:31 AM

Did you find a solution for this?

I read that Edelbrock can provide a stiffer spring - something off one of the carbs they build for some ATV as I recall.

BUT after spending 2hrs on hold waiting for "customer service" I gave up that quest, hoping instead it was going to wear-in, which it doesn't seem to be doing.

Curious what you came up with.

• creeky

Posted December 28, 2007 - 05:47 AM

I had the slide- hanging -up problem with my older non-pumper Quiksilver when it was about 6 mos. old. Edelbrock provided me with a freebie improved slide and a stronger internal flat spring, I'm still using the carb, that was several years ago. Give Edelbrock a ring @ 877-888-7504 and see if they will help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted December 28, 2007 - 07:29 AM

I'm taking the pig out for a suspension test this weekend to the desert, and when I get back, I pulling the slide mechanisim off, and finding a solution. This includes calling Edlebrock for advice.
I think the stock spring is fine, it just needs one more turn to take the slack out.

We'll see.

• StateIH

Posted December 28, 2007 - 07:42 AM

I've also heard Edelbrock will send a stiffer spring, give em a call.

I had the same problem with my carb, and ended up just adding another turn in the spring. Works great so far.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 28, 2007 - 07:59 PM

I've also heard Edelbrock will send a stiffer spring, give em a call.

I had the same problem with my carb, and ended up just adding another turn in the spring. Works great so far.

Yeah, I thought that would do it. Thanks

• nscmj3

Posted December 28, 2007 - 08:06 PM

I had this problem...here's my solution: I found that the return arm (the thingy that slides up and down in the carb bowl body) was SLIGHTLY dirty. There was some resistance when I moved it up and down by hand. I took the little hex nut out and wiggled the arm out of the cylinder. Cleaned it up real good (it didn't look that dirty in the first place) and put it back together. I don't use the throttle return cable (no hate mail please...been doing it for years with no problems at all) and it seems to snap back nicely. I too called edelbrock, and was told there was not a "stiffer" spring to aid in closing the slide. This happened when my pumper was about 6 mos old...I did a desert race where the air filter came unseated and silt got sucked into the intake. Try a good cleaning and see what happens. It's the cheapest method by far!!!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 28, 2007 - 09:12 PM

I had this problem...here's my solution: I found that the return arm (the thingy that slides up and down in the carb bowl body) was SLIGHTLY dirty. There was some resistance when I moved it up and down by hand. I took the little hex nut out and wiggled the arm out of the cylinder. Cleaned it up real good (it didn't look that dirty in the first place) and put it back together. I don't use the throttle return cable (no hate mail please...been doing it for years with no problems at all) and it seems to snap back nicely. I too called edelbrock, and was told there was not a "stiffer" spring to aid in closing the slide. This happened when my pumper was about 6 mos old...I did a desert race where the air filter came unseated and silt got sucked into the intake. Try a good cleaning and see what happens. It's the cheapest method by far!!!

I'll take a look inside.......

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.