strange transmision click

5 replies to this topic
  • hillclimb426

Posted December 24, 2007 - 11:28 PM

When the tire is spun in the reverse direction "on the lift" there is a clicking coming from the front sprocket area about every full rotation. Is this normal? :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted December 25, 2007 - 08:32 AM

Every revolution of what? The wheel or the output shaft? Exactly every revolution, or randomly, or synchronized with the passage of one chain link?

• hillclimb426

Posted December 25, 2007 - 02:25 PM

one rotation of the fromt sproket.noticed this when adjusting the chain.did not have this when i put on a new set of sprokets and new chain on sat. went for a ride yesturday, came back and noticed the chain was loose so i adjusted it a spun the tire in reverse to lube the chain and noticed the click from the front sproket area.front and rear sprockets are alined and the chain is not binding:crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 25, 2007 - 04:10 PM

It's possible that you knocked a tooth off of a trans gear. Since only 4th and 5th turn with the output shaft in neutral with a dead engine, it would have to beone of those two. And since you have said it's synchronous with the output shaft, it would be one of the gears on that shaft if it was a trans gear at all.

Use a stethoscope or a long rod to listen to the noise and see if it comes from inside the trans. Put the bike in 4th, and then 5th with the engine off, and push it backwards.

• hillclimb426

Posted December 29, 2007 - 07:10 PM

i finaly got a chance to check the bike while in only has the click while in 4.i changed the oil and a chunk of tooth was stuck to my magnetic drain plug. do i have to have the case split to have this much is this going to i have the shop put a new piston and rings or rings and a valve check. since it is torn down.can i still ride or is it going to destroy 4th gear. the bike is a 00 426.

• BC3

Posted December 30, 2007 - 10:52 AM

Probably wouldn't be a good idea to ride it until it is repaired.....Sounds like money is a factor so why create more expense by riding it more while broken..
If the engine hasn't been freshened up for a while doing the top end would be

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.