Re-doing the top-ends of my XL 650L's

3 replies to this topic
  • dldavis_66

Posted December 24, 2007 - 06:51 PM

I've got a 2005 XR 650L. I just bought a new (2007) just a few days ago.

I have already ordered 2 sets of White Bros pipes and mufflers. I'm starting out with the older bike first. The motor is in need of conditioning anyways...I'm pretty sure the pistons rings are going bad. I'm getting the head(s) ported and polished. I'll be doing the rejetting too. Been thinking about installing a higher compression piston and even a bigger cam.

Been talking to one of the perf reps here at a local Bike Dealer and he sounded pretty knowlegeable about 650L's.

I've just about got all the tech details figured out for myself. One that I am kinda ignorant about is the gaskets, namely will OEM gaskets be adequate enought to withstand the higher compression forces.

If anyone would care to share their triumphs and failures with 650L' (even R's), especially in dealing with top-end re-builds/mods/upgrades....whatever, please let me know.

• Denn10

Posted December 24, 2007 - 09:29 PM

If you going thru all that and getting the head proted and polished you should definitely do the Hi Comp piston at least, maybe the cam too if you wanna. If its not a money issue might as well do it all. Should be a warrior with all that done

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zodran

Posted December 25, 2007 - 02:23 PM

I went with the big bore kit, 102.4mm and 10.25 CR. Fred at can get you the gaskets if you want the big bore. I also use a cam from megacycle, hardened rockers and a mikuni.
I don't think you need anything special gasket wise unless you go bigger bore. 10.5 to 1 is probably as high as you want to go on pump premium and air cooled.

• martinfan30

Posted December 25, 2007 - 02:26 PM

definately use OEM gaskets.

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.