Bending pro-tapers?

20 replies to this topic
  • hi everybody

Posted December 24, 2007 - 06:34 PM

so the other day I was jumping a buddys triple...and missed a shift on the face, so I hit the eject button. my bike nose dived into the second jump, and when I got back up and got my bike back up, the bars were tweaked big time, and my clutch lever snapped.

now...when I rode it back to the truck it felt very off...but It looks like my bar mounts arnt twisted. Ive never bent a pair of pro tapers..and was just wondering if something like this would have done it, or if my forks/clamps and stuff could be bent too? it wasnt a very high speed bail, just came down from about 10 feet?

I loosened up the clamp and bar mount bolts...and Havn't lined and tightened stuff back up yet.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted December 24, 2007 - 07:00 PM

maybe you bent them maybe not but check if your front wheel is straight with the fender cuz that will throw it off big time too

• Slinkyman16

Posted December 24, 2007 - 07:53 PM

this could bend a set.. i bent a set one time laying it down going into a corner at around 10-15mph. pro-tapers are strong but wont withstand everything. how old are you bars?

• hi everybody

Posted December 24, 2007 - 09:37 PM

Not very old...I think I bought them In may.

• almostinvincible119

Posted December 25, 2007 - 06:21 AM

i tweaked my stock ones when some wind knocked my bike off in the pits. i will NEVER buy pro tapers agian. ever since they dropped easton and stopped making them in the US, the quality is horrible.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted December 25, 2007 - 12:09 PM

i love my protapers, i also have bent a couple pairs but those were some hard crashes were i was lucky just to bend my bars

• nap__kxf

Posted December 26, 2007 - 05:57 AM

i bent a pair of renthal twinwalls on my kx a while back so i can imange you can bend any bar...

• NEKOOHC

Posted December 26, 2007 - 06:20 AM

i tweaked my stock ones when some wind knocked my bike off in the pits. i will NEVER buy pro tapers agian. ever since they dropped easton and stopped making them in the US, the quality is horrible.

strange , i have a heavy DRZ and i hit the deck on the exit of a fast turn after i clipped a pine log which was hidden in the bush . i was moving at the time and i went straight into the ground and did not slide at all . when i picked my bike up was stunned to find that the bars were like still like new . these are pro taper 7/8 bars .

• hi everybody

Posted December 26, 2007 - 11:10 AM

I checked everything out...the left bar is definetely bent, but my freakin triple clamps shifted too!! they did like a scissor effect...so I have everything straightened back out. and I have my stock bars on, since I switched em out, and kept the stocks as spares.

how are the twinwalls compared to pro taper contours?

• stillsun

Posted December 26, 2007 - 12:24 PM

I've bent different sets of bars, nothing is indestructible.... but as far as crash for crash my Easton ProTaper's seem to hold up the longest.

Sometimes what you think is a hard crash, isn't hard on the handlebars and what might be a light get off could be setting the bars up just right for disaster.

J

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gbalias

Posted December 26, 2007 - 03:48 PM

protapers...:banghead:

Posted Image

• stillsun

Posted December 26, 2007 - 04:40 PM

protapers...:banghead:

Posted Image

Let's not use their third line of bars as comparison, I'd say that anyone's third line of bars aren't going to be "impossible" to bend by any means.

• gbalias

Posted December 26, 2007 - 05:43 PM

3rd line, 5th line, 1st line......

they all bend.

they have to stay in business.

• stillsun

Posted December 26, 2007 - 05:45 PM

My point exactly, they ALL bend, meaning ALL brands, and ALL lines... so shaking your finger to them was pointless.

Get it?

• gbalias

Posted December 26, 2007 - 06:43 PM

ah sorry.....post Xmas scrutineers....hehehe

edit:

Protapers
Renthals
Longhorn
Magura
Moose
Tag
Tusk
MSR
Fly ------------> :D

i generally will double or triple up a coat hanger, duct tape it to my triple clamp and use that. when it bends, you can just bend it back on the trail! :busted:

seriously though...just to clarify, the ONLY reason i posted that is because a LOT of people think just cause it says protaper, means its indestructible. wasnt ever intended to rub the wrong way. :banghead: i also assume you use protapers. .... as do i. so in reality, i think i can shake a finger when i please.

• NEKOOHC

Posted December 26, 2007 - 09:42 PM

you certainly can ... anyway , how did you manage to mangle them there pro tapers ?

what about a new thread '' show us whats left of your bars ''

• mikedabike

Posted December 26, 2007 - 09:58 PM

3rd line, 5th line, 1st line......

they all bend.

they have to stay in business.

I have a pair of original Pro-Tapers from ~1990. They are virtually indestructable. The newer "budget" ones don't seem to hold up as well.

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted December 27, 2007 - 02:39 AM

If you guys look at my avatar that was the crash I bent my pro tapers on. And that was the only time I have ever bent pro tapers.

• grayracer513

Posted December 27, 2007 - 06:46 AM

Bars are weird. I bent a pair of Tag X5's (7/8 w/cross bar) once on my CR500 in a stupid little over-rotated, leaned over wheelie step-off thing at low speed (it took 4 of us and a 4 foot pipe to bend it back) and then I went down hard at 45-50 in the whoops at Ocotillo Wells with another pair of X5's, broke both arms, and didn't bend any part of the bike.:banghead:

• ktmbigfan

Posted December 27, 2007 - 08:57 AM

Bars are weird. I've bent them with stupid little layovers and then had great
crashes and not bent them this is with all brands. I still think protapers are
tough bars and really don't have any complaints about the stock protapers
on my yZ.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.