Anybody swap forks on a 07' WR450?

38 replies to this topic
  • TheBlackSheep

Posted December 24, 2007 - 03:15 PM

Anybody swap the forks the 07' WR450 yet? I have a 07' and am 200lbs with gear. I have replaced the oil with 7 weight, run the clickers under the forks 5 from all the way hard, added an extra inch of oil. I have done everything short of replacing the springs, or getting them re-valved. I am wondering if I am just beating a dead horse by trying to make the WR a bike I can jump. I am not going out and trying to Freestyle motocross or anything, but on the trails I ride, I jump off berms, or do little table tops, or do hits here and there, but I bottom out alot. I love my WR and the only complaint I have is the suspension. I mean it's great on everyday trails, and does great on woops, but when I start to get into more gnarly trails and my riding skill increases, the WR just begins to hit hard. Anybody have this problem? I am thinking about swapping a set of YZ forks. Anybody done this? What year will fit an 07' WR450? Should I just get a YZ450? I like the electric start and being green sticker. I am looking at the vast models KTM has, seems like they have a electric start, green sticker motocross bike that might be for me. (450 XCW) but I am only 5' 9" and KTM's seem pretty tall. What do you guys think?

......... bahhh :banghead:

• Jim813

Posted December 24, 2007 - 03:23 PM

my friend has your same problem and ordered a set of yz forks from a 2006 with the speed sensitive system.I turns out yamaha put left-over 2004 forks on the wr's, and they just don't do the job when you start riding anything more than smoother trails. I'll let you know what he thinks, it may be a couple weeks, or he might reply, since he has a thumpertalk

• clark4131

Posted December 24, 2007 - 05:02 PM

turns out yamaha put left-over 2004 forks on the wr's, and they just don't do the job when you start riding anything more than smoother trails...

Where in God's name do you get your information? This sounds suspiciously like a blatant troll...SC

• SPLATT

Posted December 24, 2007 - 05:19 PM

At the very least you will need to re spring it as the WR's are a little on the soft side as far as the springs go. I have it worse than you I have another 50# on you with stock springs and don't have to jump to bottom it out.

Steve

• Rich331

Posted December 24, 2007 - 07:20 PM

I would think re-springing the front would work just fine and would be cheaper than trying to replace them with yz forks!?!?

• MaxPower

Posted December 25, 2007 - 04:35 AM

[COLOR="Green"]you havent touched springs or valving yet you want to replace the forks?
Think about that for a little while and get back to me[/COLOR]

• TheBlackSheep

Posted December 25, 2007 - 08:17 AM

[COLOR="Green"]you havent touched springs or valving yet you want to replace the forks?
Think about that for a little while and get back to me[/COLOR]

Anybody swap the forks the 07' WR450 yet? I have a 07' and am 200lbs with gear. I have replaced the oil with 7 weight, run the clickers under the forks 5 from all the way hard, added an extra inch of oil. I have done everything short of replacing the springs, or getting them re-valved. I am wondering if I am just beating a dead horse by trying to make the WR a bike I can jump. I am not going out and trying to Freestyle motocross or anything, but on the trails I ride, I jump off berms, or do little table tops, or do hits here and there, but I bottom out alot. I love my WR and the only complaint I have is the suspension. I mean it's great on everyday trails, and does great on woops, but when I start to get into more gnarly trails and my riding skill increases, the WR just begins to hit hard. Anybody have this problem? I am thinking about swapping a set of YZ forks. Anybody done this? What year will fit an 07' WR450? Should I just get a YZ450? I like the electric start and being green sticker. I am looking at the vast models KTM has, seems like they have a electric start, green sticker motocross bike that might be for me. (450 XCW) but I am only 5' 9" and KTM's seem pretty tall. What do you guys think?

......... bahhh :banghead:

Think about that for a little while and get back to me

........ bahhh :busted:

• Jim813

Posted December 25, 2007 - 02:17 PM

Where in God's name do you get your information? This sounds suspiciously like a blatant troll...SC

the top of the fork is shaped different on the new SSS fork apparently. It has like a bronze octagon on top,plus he had a 2005 yz 450 and the fork was different than the 2007 wr, and its no SSS fork, which came on 2006 yz's, so it must be older.
My friend ordered new front springs but didnt get them in time for V to R, and after he never bothered to put them in since he planned to sell the bike with the fork so bad. He got yz forks off the internet for about $400 total, whicn is just about the cost of a revalve. I ll let you know what he thinks> by the way h is about your wieght too so results should be similar

• TheBlackSheep

Posted December 26, 2007 - 11:47 AM

the top of the fork is shaped different on the new SSS fork apparently. It has like a bronze octagon on top,plus he had a 2005 yz 450 and the fork was different than the 2007 wr, and its no SSS fork, which came on 2006 yz's, so it must be older.
My friend ordered new front springs but didnt get them in time for V to R, and after he never bothered to put them in since he planned to sell the bike with the fork so bad. He got yz forks off the internet for about $400 total, whicn is just about the cost of a revalve. I ll let you know what he thinks> by the way h is about your wieght too so results should be similar

Thanks. I can't figure out if I should buy springs, re-valve, or swap forks. I too have seen YZ forks on Ebay, but it's kind of sketchy buying them from a stranger isn't it? Plus, when you get them, you should service them right away right? So I am trying to figure out the best cost ratio.

............. bahhh :banghead:

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 26, 2007 - 01:43 PM

The 07' WR has the single chamber fork like WR's have had since 98' or 99', HOWEVER.... the 07' fork is a larger diameter than the 04'. Yamaha did not put "left over 2004 parts" on the 07':bonk:

YZ's are twin chamber, they have been that way since 2000 (I think:confused:) Anyway, the YZ fork is superior in stock form but the old single chamber forks have been around for so long that any tuner with a good sense of whats going on can make them work for MX, it will just be be hard to get the progressive compresion you want. I don't think your beating a dead horse but it is it really worth it to go thru the hassle of swapping it out? I ride and race alot, mostly harescrambles and GP's that often throw a section of MX into the course, If I need to roll something with a flat landing, so be it the race is not going to be lost there..

For the type of hits your talking about you should be able to re-spring and go with a thicker oil at a greater height. If you think you need to re-valve after that then go see a suspension guy.

The YZ fork swap would also require a clamp swap so it's not going to be cheap but it does sound like a cool thing to do...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Island Boy

Posted December 26, 2007 - 03:29 PM

I am also 200 Lbs. I have 07 YZ SSS Forks on my 07 WR. They fit and perform great. Got 'em off ebay, cheap, from "keep it roostin". This guy parts out new bikes... with a little luck, you can get some great deals.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 26, 2007 - 03:37 PM

I am also 200 Lbs. I have 07 YZ SSS Forks on my 07 WR. They fit and perform great. Got 'em off ebay, cheap, from "keep it roostin". This guy parts out new bikes... with a little luck, you can get some great deals.

Cool:thumbsup:

So did they fit in the WR clamps or did you need to get YZ clamps?

• Island Boy

Posted December 26, 2007 - 03:38 PM

same clamps... no problem.

• Jim813

Posted December 26, 2007 - 09:48 PM

The 07' WR has the single chamber fork like WR's have had since 98' or 99', HOWEVER.... the 07' fork is a larger diameter than the 04'. Yamaha did not put "left over 2004 parts" on the 07':bonk:

YZ's are twin chamber, they have been that way since 2000 (I think:confused:) Anyway, the YZ fork is superior in stock form but the old single chamber forks have been around for so long that any tuner with a good sense of whats going on can make them work for MX, it will just be be hard to get the progressive compresion you want. I don't think your beating a dead horse but it is it really worth it to go thru the hassle of swapping it out? I ride and race alot, mostly harescrambles and GP's that often throw a section of MX into the course, If I need to roll something with a flat landing, so be it the race is not going to be lost there..

For the type of hits your talking about you should be able to re-spring and go with a thicker oil at a greater height. If you think you need to re-valve after that then go see a suspension guy.

The YZ fork swap would also require a clamp swap so it's not going to be cheap but it does sound like a cool thing to do...

maybe i should have said 2004 technology, it is not firsthand expienience
even thought this may be a good idea, im sure you can make the wr fork get close to the same results for half the money. Plus they would most likely have to be revalved, because the wr is heavier. I just though of this know, but what about the light and computer up by the handlebars, is it mounted on the triple clamp? I think the best bet is to do exactly what SJMC DON said, and see what happens. Most of the time you can find a pretty good setting if you have correct spring rates and a day to turn clickers. This way you save $$$. Or you can kick that wr out of your garage and bring home a new ktm Posted Image

• TheBlackSheep

Posted December 26, 2007 - 10:53 PM

Thanks, good advice from you as always!

Thanks to you too, but I actually went and took my bike to a guy who's name I got from District 37. Suspension by Jake. I am getting stiffer front and rear springs, and re-valved. He told me YZ forks would still be a little soft. $350 done deal.

maybe i should have said 2004 technology, it is not firsthand expienience
even thought this may be a good idea, im sure you can make the wr fork get close to the same results for half the money. Plus they would most likely have to be revalved, because the wr is heavier. I just though of this know, but what about the light and computer up by the handlebars, is it mounted on the triple clamp? I think the best bet is to do exactly what SJMC DON said, and see what happens. Most of the time you can find a pretty good setting if you have correct spring rates and a day to turn clickers. This way you save $$$. Or you can kick that wr out of your garage and bring home a new ktm Posted Image

I know, I know, I know. I actually went to the KTM dealer this morning. $8105 OTD was too much. Maybe next year! That XCRW was freakin badass though.

....... bahhh :banghead:

• stagecodave

Posted December 27, 2007 - 04:13 AM

I also have a wr450 07', i weigh 125Kg, have been racing forever, i am an aggressive rider. i find the stock springs too soft (of course), i will try 6.0 shock spring and .50 fork springs with a service and higher oil hight, valving can wait. let u know

• Jim813

Posted December 27, 2007 - 08:04 AM

Thanks, good advice from you as always!

Thanks to you too, but I actually went and took my bike to a guy who's name I got from District 37. Suspension by Jake. I am getting stiffer front and rear springs, and re-valved. He told me YZ forks would still be a little soft. $350 done deal.

I know, I know, I know. I actually went to the KTM dealer this morning. $8105 OTD was too much. Maybe next year! That XCRW was freakin badass though.

....... bahhh :banghead:

i understand, i figured i could race until my wheels fall off my 2006, or i could buy a new 08 and stare at her because i would be trying to pay her off, then i would be afraid to crash. good luck with the wr, im sure with a little time you'll have that wr soaking up the bigger hits and still being plush. I remember when i rode my friend's 07 wr450, that thing was like a big couch :busted: until i hit a dropoff, then it was like a was riding a couch without the cushions:thumbsdn: otherwise i really enjoyed the bike.

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted December 27, 2007 - 09:47 AM

same clamps... no problem.

I have a 07 WR, 200 pounds and race desert and enduros in the expert class. I had the same problem I revalved, (NOST valves) and new springs front and back. Huge difference, my brother is now in the same boat and thinks 06 or newer YZ forks are they way to go. From what little I know the YZ forks are 48 mm and the WR forks are 46 mm, so you would need new top and bottom tripple clamps??? Then you still have to possible spring and revalve the YZ forks. I'd love to have new YZ forks on my WR butt it sounds like big bucks. Can anyone else confirm that the tripple clamps are compatable or not??? Jeff S

• ThompsonV311

Posted December 27, 2007 - 07:56 PM

You do not have to change the triples. It is a direct swap. I talked with a guy lined up next to me at the 100 National H&H and he had just pulled the forks off his 07 YZ 2 weeks before. Too bad they are hard to come by. I need some.

• ksrrider

Posted December 27, 2007 - 09:52 PM

Maybe the 09's will have the twin chambers, that's what I'm hoping for. I think I will be going back to blue, cause KTM really blew this year IMO.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.